Rogan: "No Stand Ups in MMA" - Cue 2 Minutes of Moaning About Abdelwahab vs Mayes

After dominating over 4 minutes you get the standup where Mayes land 2-3 shots and a judge GAVE HIM THE ROUND!!!

Technically if the ref stood them up, it could have biased the judge, it means nothing was happening so they got stood up.

Will you go with me when I say Bisping > Cormier?

I actually like Cormier, but he gets 'on one' sometimes and just starts talking shite.

Dude Cormier forgets the names of fighters like almost 3x a night and forgets what division they are in, and stumbles up all the time. There is things that annoy me about Bisping, but he isnt even close to as bad as DC.

I'd actually say DC is the worst of all the pro fighter announcers now. He's actually gotten worse since Dom called him out.

They need to finally get rid of Rogan, he doesn't even know who most of the fights are anymore, he has it laid out in detail prior to the card happening, he has so much other work and things going on.

I haven't watched the fight yet but low level heavyweights are the absolute worst fights in the UFC. I'm still disgusted about Baudot Vs Parisian from the other week. I think I will skip this one honestly. I looked at that egiptian's record. He only had 3 fights, is 6'0'' and 260 pounds. This overweight division is embarrassing ffs

Just like everyone else, Rogan is every bit as selective when it comes to rulesets. He just likes to act like his ruleset is the most realistic when it's not. I agree with no stand ups, but the football field idea is retarded. If you want pure realism, grabbing the cage should be allowed and the fighter on bottom should be able to throw upkicks even if the top fighter is considered "grounded." Strikes to the back of the head, eye pokes, and groin shots should all be legal if "realism" is the goal.
I think the football field idea is a bit silly, something like half a basketball court would be more feasible, but not really. I grew up in a rough part of town and got into lots of fights, but I never was hit in the groin or poked in the eye, but hit in the back of the head and having my clothing grabbed. Almost all the time. but your points are valid and that is part of the reason they were in the early UFC's (that and the TMA's saying that they would stop wrestlers, which I would reply, good luck).

I think the football field idea is a bit silly, something like half a basketball court would be more feasible, but not really. I grew up in a rough part of town and got into lots of fights, but I never was hit in the groin or poked in the eye, but hit in the back of the head and having my clothing grabbed. Almost all the time. but your points are valid and that is part of the reason they were in the early UFC's (that and the TMA's saying that they would stop wrestlers, which I would reply, good luck).
D3CAE62E-9532-42A9-882B-F9A93A7A0576.jpeg 62003658-6714-4A81-B641-06845365BCD0.png
I wouldn’t mind if they experimented with a Tekken video game size octagon.

Man, what the hell are Rogan and DC talking about tonight?

First Rogan is like 'there shouldn't be any stand ups in MMA', like he actively wants to disincentivize action. NO STAND UPS? Well why would you risk going for a punch, elbow or submission if activity is absolutely not required?

Then we get 2 minutes of non-stop moaning in Round Three of Abdelwahab vs Mayes about a stand up that DOESN'T EVEN HAPPEN until there's 50 seconds left - and then Rogan screams 'OHHH' like we're witnessing a major miscarriage of justice!

Just retire, Rogan, that was a hack-esque performance. We all know Cormier is a wrestler and will enjoy a bit of wrestling, but when Abdelwahab is doing absolutely nothing for 4:10 of a round, why can't we have a stand up? Because we've decided we've changed the rules based on who's commentating?

Embarrassing nonsense on the UFC broadcast.
Does anyone notice that they’re just horrible and wrong about everything? I can’t remember the last time they did a good job

Does anyone notice that they’re just horrible and wrong about everything? I can’t remember the last time they did a good job

Cormier does deliver some good wrestling analysis and insight, but the days should be long gone that Rogan is the 'expert' BJJ representative - which is what he seems to think he is.

He's just not professional. The sport should have moved on from him the same way it moved on from Goldberg.

Cormier does deliver some good wrestling analysis and insight, but the days should be long gone that Rogan is the 'expert' BJJ representative - which is what he seems to think he is.

He's just not professional. The sport should have moved on from him the same way it moved on from Goldberg.
Cormier is shockingly bad to me, with his analysis, considering the fighter he was

Man, what the hell are Rogan and DC talking about tonight?

First Rogan is like 'there shouldn't be any stand ups in MMA', like he actively wants to disincentivize action. NO STAND UPS? Well why would you risk going for a punch, elbow or submission if activity is absolutely not required?

Then we get 2 minutes of non-stop moaning in Round Three of Abdelwahab vs Mayes about a stand up that DOESN'T EVEN HAPPEN until there's 50 seconds left - and then Rogan screams 'OHHH' like we're witnessing a major miscarriage of justice!

Just retire, Rogan, that was a hack-esque performance. We all know Cormier is a wrestler and will enjoy a bit of wrestling, but when Abdelwahab is doing absolutely nothing for 4:10 of a round, why can't we have a stand up? Because we've decided we've changed the rules based on who's commentating?

Embarrassing nonsense on the UFC broadcast.
It kind of seemed like they set up a narrative early talking about how Joe doesn’t like stand ups during a striker vs wrestler match. Then once it slowed on the ground DC really started laying in to it and Joe was eager to go along.
I think the stand up was ok but wasn’t necessary. I don’t think there is an obvious correct answer to that. So the real issue is how much influence does or should Joe Rogans opinion have? How much stock should people put into what he says in this day and age? And should he be the most recognizable face in the sport?

Stand ups should be very rare if any. The refs were fucking up on Saturday letting the crowd influence their reffing. Stand ups should be reserved for full guard when no one punches or tries to pass guard for like 20-30 seconds. We shouldn't be having stand ups from dominant positions on top or the ref helping a fighter get up cause the crowd doesn't like it.

They literally format fights with rounds because, well, fuck someone lying on top of someone.

The whole set up of MMA is geared towards stuff actually happening.

The fuck are you talking about? that fight was action packed even on the ground Abdelwahab was advancing position and landing punches and he had multiple high impact takedowns.

We are totally agreed!

Whether you liked the Abdelwahab-Mayes stand up or not (I think you didn't lol), the commentary was totally unwarranted - they moaned about it for 120 seconds straight, and it didn't even happen while they were complaining!

Ludicrous.

Not sure if you watched the PPV or not but they were complaining about it cause the reffing on Saturday had been shitty for a while prior to this fight with lots of early/totally unnecessary stand ups and the stand up in the fight you are talking about was also unnecessary, Abdelwahab had a dominant position and was landing strikes.

The fuck are you talking about? that fight was action packed even on the ground Abdelwahab was advancing position and landing punches and he had multiple high impact takedowns.

Reread the post you replied to, I think you missed/made up the narrative.

Reread the post you replied to, I think you missed/made up the narrative.

I don't think I've misread anything; this whole thread is you complaining about Rogan complaining about bad stand ups.

I don't think I've misread anything; this whole thread is you complaining about Rogan complaining about bad stand ups.

You've replied angrily to a post explaining why MMA has rounds.

Your angry response has nothing to do with rounds, and doesn't address that post in any way, shape or form - hence, you've probably misunderstood something.

Back