Running in mma is not requisite.

That's why all of their fighters are washed up by the time they're 26, they train so fucking dumb there.

It's because they start fighting every couple weeks when they're 8 years old, often racking up well over 300 fights in their careers.
In MMA, Travis Fulton has the most fights by a mile at 320. In Muay Thai, 300 fights is pretty normal and there's guys like Sam-A who are at 400+ fights and counting.

Last edited:
It's because they start fighting every when they're 8 years old, often racking up well 300 fights in their careers.
In MMA, Travis Fulton has the most fights by a mile at 320. In Muay Thai, 300 fights is pretty normal and there's guys like Sam-A who are at 400+ fights and counting.
Yeah again, easy for me to say, but having 8 year olds fighting for money and taking extreme brain damage w/o having a choice is fucked up.

The running, and pointlessly hard training doesn't help either

35 min 10k? A lot of people can't even run that at smaller marathons.

Do you have it on record brah?
I have but I don't want to give it out with my name etc.
It's solid but it doesn't win you anything big (actually it even hardly wins you some local race...), since there are many guys in the low 30s.
And keep in mind that some guys run a 10k in 27 minutes...
But a 35min 10k is still big compared to pro combat sports athletes, let alone amateurs and hobyists. I somewhere read De la Hoya, who was apparently known for being a good runner, was around 38 min.
Even the Diaz bros are well over the 40min mark.

The thing about running, in striking arts like boxing and kickboxing is that it conditions your calves and legs to “keep moving” during a fight when fatigued. Along with jump rope and foot work drills it can add the conditioning to stay moving, recover while moving.

Nothing replaces practicing actual combat technique but running is solid. Keeps your weight down and is good meditation to go on nice 4-6mi runs.

Edit: Im about 40min 10k w/hills you savage

MMA and Boxing are endeavors that rely heavily on ones aerobic system. Take a 5k for example, an event that is largely aerobic, for most elite runners, it should take 14-16 minutes to complete. These runners are averaging upwards of 80 miles a week easily for a relatively short race. An MMA match is 15-25 minutes, a boxing match is even longer. In my opinion, fighting is largely an aerobic endeavor. I personally believe that pro fighters should easily be doing 40+ miles of running a week if they can handle it, the reason behind this is that runners on average can typically develop a much higher V02 max than rowers, swimmers, etc (cross country skiers are really the only athletes with a higher VO2 max than elite runners, but it's not common for fighters to do that).

The majority of a fighters training outside of the specific should be based towards developing an aerobic capacity. I would limit the anaerobic work to once a week. Something like airdyne bike for 1 minute all out, 3 minute rest for 8 rounds for the anaerobic work. Then one VO2 max interval workout like 800m*6 and then 3 long runs at 7-11 miles.

Fight specific aerobic capacity work can be something like hitting the bag for 30 seconds all out, 30 seconds rest and repeat for 18 rounds. However, that will not develop the endurance necessary for 25 minutes and it's hard to hit the bag consistently for 1 hour and 30 minutes, so easy paced long runs will be necessary.

The thing about running, in striking arts like boxing and kickboxing is that it conditions your calves and legs to “keep moving” during a fight when fatigued. Along with jump rope and foot work drills it can add the conditioning to stay moving, recover while moving.

Nothing replaces practicing actual combat technique but running is solid. Keeps your weight down and is good meditation to go on nice 4-6mi runs.

True for striking sports.
But for grappling sports, I do now think that swimming is way superior, both for upper body strength and flexibility.
Doing the same motion over and over again makes you quite of stiff.
Rubber guard never felt so easy since i stopped running...

I have but I don't want to give it out with my name etc.
It's solid but it doesn't win you anything big (actually it even hardly wins you some local race...), since there are many guys in the low 30s.
And keep in mind that some guys run a 10k in 27 minutes...
But a 35min 10k is still big compared to pro combat sports athletes, let alone amateurs and hobyists. I somewhere read De la Hoya, who was apparently known for being a good runner, was around 38 min.
Even the Diaz bros are well over the 40min mark.

Most hobbyist runners won't ever hit 35 min.

27 mins mean you can qualify for the olympic trial.

Yeah again, easy for me to say, but having 8 year olds fighting for money and taking extreme brain damage w/o having a choice is fucked up.

The running, and pointlessly hard training doesn't help either
Wouldn't say its all pointless though. They throw people in the deep end and see if they can swim. Big problem when Brock was training, they wouldn't go hard in sparring. He could take a hit, actually really fucking well. But he didn't know what to do because the only time he was in that situation was in a real fight. If he had some proper hard sparring sessions, then Brock may have been even better.

Yes listen to the TS everyone. He’s obviously a top tier athlete who knows what he’s talking about

True for striking sports.
But for grappling sports, I do now think that swimming is way superior, both for upper body strength and flexibility.
Doing the same motion over and over again makes you quite of stiff.
Rubber guard never felt so easy since i stopped running...

Running not for grappling true, running only helps my rolling recovery between rounds, not my pumps I get and that muscular endurance. Grappling can only be substituted by grappling imo, weights and grappling just make my rolls weaker for some reason.

Lol
Actually, I really want to know what your experience with running and cardio is.
I think too many fighters are obsessed with running. I somehow get it for boxing (12 rounds) but for mma, it doesn't seem accurate, as you also need some strength to engage in the grappling contest, and I guarantee you running a lot is gonna take away a lot of strength (I have nothing to back this up but my own experience, I know, but there is also a reason why runners tend to look like anoxeric children...)
it's an option, but maybe not the best.
set up some footwork drills for cardio, sidewalk chalk some creative hopscotch. i think the best cardio is mixing in skill, balance, coordination, strength, and/or game plan.
running can be good for burning calories and clearing your mind too not just cardio.

Skipping is so fucking good. It destroys my calfs. I had a sesh with a mate thats pro and it took 3/4 days to recover. Skipping is the business.

Running not for grappling true, running only helps my rolling recovery between rounds, not my pumps I get and that muscular endurance. Grappling can only be substituted by grappling imo, weights and grappling just make my rolls weaker for some reason.
best cardio for grappling is drills imo. your right, better cardio=better recovery.

There’s a big benefit to the mental grind of running, I think. Both the run itself and the discipline of getting your ass up and on the road day after day.

It sucks ass, so it helps you build resilience.

But yeah, plenty of downsides. It’s rough on the joints, and if I do more than 3 or 4 a week these days my back hurts, but I am getting older.

Yes listen to the TS everyone. He’s obviously a top tier athlete who knows what he’s talking about

gotta have cardio for days to post on teh interwebz, bro. sherdogathon 24/7 366.6666 repeating of course

MMA and Boxing are endeavors that rely heavily on ones aerobic system. Take a 5k for example, an event that is largely aerobic, for most elite runners, it should take 14-16 minutes to complete. These runners are averaging upwards of 80 miles a week easily for a relatively short race. An MMA match is 15-25 minutes, a boxing match is even longer. In my opinion, fighting is largely an aerobic endeavor. I personally believe that pro fighters should easily be doing 40+ miles of running a week if they can handle it, the reason behind this is that runners on average can typically develop a much higher V02 max than rowers, swimmers, etc (cross country skiers are really the only athletes with a higher VO2 max than elite runners, but it's not common for fighters to do that).

The majority of a fighters training outside of the specific should be based towards developing an aerobic capacity. I would limit the anaerobic work to once a week. Something like airdyne bike for 1 minute all out, 3 minute rest for 8 rounds for the anaerobic work. Then one VO2 max interval workout like 800m*6 and then 3 long runs at 7-11 miles.

Fight specific aerobic capacity work can be something like hitting the bag for 30 seconds all out, 30 seconds rest and repeat for 18 rounds. However, that will not develop the endurance necessary for 25 minutes and it's hard to hit the bag consistently for 1 hour and 30 minutes, so easy paced long runs will be necessary.

Honestly, there are so many tools to develop in mma that you won't have time to run 40 miles a week. You can't allow yourself to sacrifice 1 hour a day for running. You won't have the time nor the energy to do so.
Moreover, running that much, even with good form, will harm your body (maybe except if you weigh 120 pounds).
Of course it depends on the fighter, but if I were injury free, i would swim twice a week, have one long run a week (8-10 miles) and sprint once a week. But never would I run 40 miles...

Skipping is so fucking good. It destroys my calfs. I had a sesh with a mate thats pro and it took 3/4 days to recover. Skipping is the business.

Bruv, sets of skips.
-Regular skips 1min
-Skip for height 1min
-Skip for distance 1min

1min rest

x3

That's why all of their fighters are washed up by the time they're 26, they train so fucking dumb there.
Yea nah, probably more to do with the fact that they fight once or more times a week and rack up hundreds of fights.
Not saying the running doesn't contribute. Also their sparring is pretty smart, lots of "playful" sparring.

Back