Running in mma is not requisite.

Most hobbyist runners won't ever hit 35 min.

27 mins mean you can qualify for the olympic trial.

27 min is even enough to be olympic champ.
Yeah with a 35 min 10k you beat 99% of the running population but you don't win anything big, as the talent pool in running is as large as it gets, millions of people run, it ain't wmma.

Honestly, there are so many tools to develop in mma that you won't have time to run 40 miles a week. You can't allow yourself to sacrifice 1 hour a day for running. You won't have the time nor the energy to do so.
Moreover, running that much, even with good form, will harm your body (maybe except if you weigh 120 pounds).
Of course it depends on the fighter, but if I were injury free, i would swim twice a week, have one long run a week (8-10 miles) and sprint once a week. But never would I run 40 miles...
If you're a pro fighter 1.5 hours of running 3-4 times a week should be nothing for you, especially if the pace is easy, your job is fighting. I've run like 60 miles a week at an easy pace weighing 200lbs and my job wasn't training. Swimming won't develop as high as a VO2 max IMO. But if it helps fighters stay injury free, it is indeed a good substitute, but like you said, I think they'd need to make the sessions very hard like 20 x 50m fly + warmup and cooldown.

Skipping is so fucking good. It destroys my calfs. I had a sesh with a mate thats pro and it took 3/4 days to recover. Skipping is the business.

Skipping is fucking awesome. I skip every day that I workout. Not to derail the thread too much, but here was my workout today:

Apr. 7/20
Rope Jump x884 (5:00.00)
Jumping Jack x469 (5:00.00)
Super Set x17
Rope Jump x50 (850)
Push Up x15 (255)
Jumping Jack x50 (850)
Muay Thai Knee x25/side (850)
(31:27.60)

The Rope Jumps, Jumping Jacks, Push Ups and Muay Thai Knees are all done one after another, then repeated non stop for 17 sets. The numbers inside the brackets indicate how long that particular activity lasted in minutes and/or the total number of reps.

Ok. I will keep an open mind for right now. Please explain to me why shogun has had absolute shit cardio? This was young shogun, old shogun, good knees, bad knees. He doesn't believe in running either.
That's one example, You're associating not running with shit cardio, correlation does not equal causation. Who knows, maybe he did no other types of cardio? Or if he did, maybe he did them half ass. Some people just also have naturally shit cardio and no matter what they do its never becomes great, it will improve but never be amazing.

If you're a pro fighter 1.5 hours of running 3-4 times a week should be nothing for you, especially if the pace is easy, your job is fighting. I've run like 60 miles a week at an easy pace weighing 200lbs and my job wasn't training. Swimming won't develop as high as a VO2 max IMO. But if it helps fighters stay injury free, it is indeed a good substitute, but like you said, I think they'd need to make the sessions very hard like 20 x 50m fly + warmup and cooldown.

I would rather spend that time doing specific cardio (100 doubles, 100 wall walking get ups, 100 armbars etc.) than running.
Moreover (but maybe do I only know guys with trash genetics) running that much in addition to hard mma training will take a tool on your body.
It's not just about time, but also about recovery.

Skipping is fucking awesome. I skip every day that I workout. Not to derail the thread too much, but here was my workout today:

Apr. 7/20
Rope Jump x884 (5:00.00)
Jumping Jack x469 (5:00.00)
Super Set x17
Rope Jump x50 (850)
Push Up x15 (255)
Jumping Jack x50 (850)
Muay Thai Knee x25/side (850)
(31:27.60)

The Rope Jumps, Jumping Jacks, Push Ups and Muay Thai Knees are all done one after another, then repeated non stop for 17 sets. The numbers inside the brackets indicate how long that particular activity lasted in minutes and/or the total number of reps.
OOSsss back to basics. Nice, I haven't done anything for a few weeks now. Last session was clock chokes. Are you in the states?

That's one example, You're associating not running with shit cardio, correlation does not equal causation. Who knows, maybe he did no other types of cardio? Or if he did, maybe he did them half ass. Some people just also have naturally shit cardio and no matter what they do its never becomes great, it will improve but never be amazing.

This.
Generally speaking, if you are naturally gifted for cardio, you ain't so much for power, and vice versa.

Wouldn't say its all pointless though. They throw people in the deep end and see if they can swim. Big problem when Brock was training, they wouldn't go hard in sparring. He could take a hit, actually really fucking well. But he didn't know what to do because the only time he was in that situation was in a real fight. If he had some proper hard sparring sessions, then Brock may have been even better.
I'm more talking about the running miles every morning, and doing endless hard pad rounds

I agree that you absolutely need a certain amount of hard sparring rounds per week, I have seen that firsthand

Of course, running can give you incredible cardio : if you do a combination of sprinting and aerobic running, you might be ok with going the distance.

But I personally think swimming can give you supreme cardio too, as it ramps up your heart rate quite as much.
Of course, you ain't getting the benefits of standing upright or strenghtening your bones, but on the other hand you don't injure yourself and work upper body strength and flexibility.
Of course, you have to do it correctly. If you replace solid 5 miles runs and hill sprints by 10 sloppy laps, it ain't gonna work for you. But if you do some long swims with some accelerations inbetween, and end up your workout with a 10*50m butterfly, it can be great.

You gonna tell me that fighters who don't run because of fucked up knees tend to have shitty cardio (Conor, Rua etc.) I can name you as much fighters that don't run (like Usman) who have great cardio.
I think it has more to do with genetics: some guys (like Conor) are most fast twitch type of athletes (which give them this insane Ko power) while others are more slow twitch athletes (and thus are often pillow fisted).

From my own experience, I used to be a pretty good runner as a teenager/young adult (had a 35 min 10k).
This cardio carried well to mma and bjj, where I was a Diaz bros type of fighter, simply never getting tired... combat sports felt so easy cardiowise compared to running. Unfortunately, I had to stop running because of multiple knee injuries. So I replaced the 4 running sessions a week by 4 swimming sessions, and bought a heavy bag, in order to do 15 min dutch drills every day (like 1-2 left kick, non stop for 2 minutes)
In the first place I was completely despaired and thought I had lost my best option to have good cardio. But, now, after 10 years of not running AT ALL, I am glad this happened to me. My cardio is as good as it was (maybe slightly diminished because it's harder to get to those 190 bpm's by swimming, but it's very very infinitesimal), I have way more strength in the upper body, great shoulder flexibility (which helps to surive kimuras...), and feel injury free and loose. Moreover, the dutch drills gave me mma specific muscular endurance, which running wouldn't have given me.

To sum this up, there are many ways to work on cardio. Dutch drills combined with swimming are my favourite ones, but the rowing machine and bike are other good ones. Of course, I would like to squeeze in some hill sprints or a good 5k from time to time, because running remains a great way to work on cardio, but it isn't requisite.

Just my thoughts, what do you think about it?

The problem with running is, it's boring as all hell, especially running on a treadmill. I have pretty good endurance and stamina but I stick to jump rope/ heavy bag work, hikes, kayaking, plyometrics and super sets when I do weights. Seems to be effective enough for me as i have energy for days. Jits is also a great cardio workout that you may not think about. Usually the first half hour warm up is enough to make some wanna hurl, then we roll for an hour or so.....blanketed in sweat all throughout .

Jumping jacks 10 minutes
Lunges 5min/Squats 5min for 30 min
Jumping jacks 5 min
Lunges 5min/Squats 5min for 10min
No breaks.

Run after.

Strong legs strong lungs

Jumping jacks 10 minutes
Lunges 5min/Squats 5min for 30 min
Jumping jacks 5 min
Lunges 5min/Squats 5min for 10min

Run after.

Strong legs strong lungs

Bro, don't get me wrong, I don't shit on running.
I loved it and it was a horrible feeling to stop doing those nice 8*1000ms with 1min45s rest.
I just realized that other forms of cardio worked as well for me.
Of course, if I could, I would run again from time to time, it's still a great way to develop cardio.
Btw, I think those 10 min routines are bullshit too. I always prefer the direct way. Spar, work on technique, shadow box, hit the bag, drill, drill, drill, lift, do calisthenics, do some cardio (that's to say running, rowing, swimming or maybe biking...) and stretch, but stop with those 10 min "functionals" bullshido routines

Running a lot makes you tougher in my opinion. Running for long periods makes you constantly miserable.

Back