Running in mma is not requisite.

yea man

running AND reading all that? sounds like a fuckin terrible idea m8
At the same time especially.
I could barely hold my laptop and my battery died half way.

Running a lot makes you tougher in my opinion. Running for long periods makes you constantly miserable.
Theres a mental toughness to it where you want to stop and the constant battle with yourself to keep going

Sometimes I masturbate so hard I become out of breath...

I like to think it helps to build endurance.

You are right, there are many ways to work cardio. I prefer to work those that are easiest on the joints. For sports that don’t involve running and general health I’d recommend LISS walks (low intensity steady state) with jump rope, erg machine (Concept 2 rower) and the Airodyne assault bike for HIIT (high intensity interval training). With hill and flat sprints sprinkled in occasionally.

LISS reminder, if I double my resting heart rate for an hour everyday walking (getting it to 105-125 from a resting heart rate let’s say of 50) to match that with half an hour of high intensity cardio training daily you’ll need to quadruple your resting heart rate (200 bpm) for half an hour. Not feasible. Over time the person performing LISS walks could easily perform a strength or skill workout on the same day whilst the high intensity for half an hour person will likely struggle hitting 170+ Bpm even for half an hour each day, let alone adding strength and skill work on top. I got my sleeping heart rate down to 37 bpm on my Fitbit Alta doing hour+ LISS (dog walks) daily, while performing strength workouts as well to get a 1x bw military, 1.5x bw bench, 2.7x bw deadlift.

For sport specific endurance I would of course recommend the actual activity as well, so for MMA actual grappling, (rolling and drilling of all intensities) and striking (hitting mitts/pads/bags, sparring) etc.

Last edited:
Sorry, but running is still top tier when it comes to fixing your Cardio. The whole point of it is to be able to break up your running not to just solely one type of pace too, but to setup burst intervals and resetting yourself.

If you are going to run for 1hr, you need to be able to do 15 mins of sprinting, 10 mins of walking, 25 mins of light jogging 10 mins of running again.

In soccer we had to do 20 mins of sprinting for our hour session of just cardio exercises.

I think running should definitely be a part of any combat sports training. Running as much as track and field? No. But for football ( American football ) and wrestling we ran a lot and both require strength. Running actually requires strength since you have to carry your own weight. Rowing and biking you're sitting on your ass, swimming you're being buoyed somewhat by the water. Running there's nowhere to hide and your whole body's engaged.

I feel it requires more mental toughness to run. You run long enough and hard enough you'll feel your shoulders/should blades get tired and your arms will want to drop and your lungs feel like bursting. Easy to quit. I don't feel like biking, rowing, or swimming give you that.

Running is better than not running. Cardio can be done many ways but depends what are you trying to achieve. Muay Thai fighters swear by it. We would do 6kms before a 2 hour training sesh in Phuket. I was fuct but they loved it.

So THAT's how the place got it's name xD

Running is literally a leftover from when that’s all they had. Like the 1900s. There was no science involved, and the only real thing to improve cardio as far as they knew, was running.

Come on now. How much running did the GOAT do? And pick your GOAT. The answer will be the same.

Not much.
Well...

Fedor Emelianenko trains in Stary Oskol: "Every morning 15 km running then 5 km in the evening."
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/5/13/1470976/fedor-trains-in-stary-oskol-every

Sounds very Thailand-esque if you ask me.

Running is great... but a requisite... there are many wrestlers that have great gas tanks... because the training to compete as an elite wrestler builds great cardio foundation... the same can be said for many disciplines... I think it should be pointed out that there is a balance between quality and quantity. Logging tons of miles using the old stoic principles of long slow distance will increase cardio, but not nearly as much as someone who places a premium on increasing the level of intensity. The same principles can be accomplished through taxing your heart thru swimming, but let's face it... it is a lot easier for most people to incorporate a regular running routine into their regime, rather than securing a pool to do laps///

Running is hell on the body as you get older. Even in your 30s,as I'm finding out.

Running is literally a leftover from when that’s all they had. Like the 1900s. There was no science involved, and the only real thing to improve cardio as far as they knew, was running.

Come on now. How much running did the GOAT do? And pick your GOAT. The answer will be the same.

Not much.

Fedor did loads of running.

Not much.

One thing is sure : you dont have a clue what "science" means and what that means in terms of sport specific training approach <Lmaoo>

I feel it requires more mental toughness to run. You run long enough and hard enough you'll feel your shoulders/should blades get tired and your arms will want to drop and your lungs feel like bursting. Easy to quit. I don't feel like biking, rowing, or swimming give you that.

Nothing puts people mentally on the edge as a long run (above 15miles) when you dont want to go. They toughen up in a way that I was glad being able to get punched around in hard sparring. Its normal to want to quit at least 10x times in such a run.

Near all pro boxers do it especially the ones with good cardio. There really is nothing alternative that good.

Floyd Mayweather to Rocky Marchiano doesnt matter. They all do it.

People often misjudge it because they are only low level amateur if at all (Sherdog exempt they are all beasts). Running lays the foundation you can build your sport specific cardio on top. You dont have running you are missing the base.

go go power rangers! pew newr newr newr newrn!

Ive always done a lot of running and was suprised when I started BJJ how gassed I was getting, different kind of cardio.

Theres a mental toughness to it where you want to stop and the constant battle with yourself to keep going

Yeah I attempted a 111km one day ultra last year.

I dropped out after 101km, from about 60km onwards it was just getting one foot in front of the other and chanting mantras to myself.

Back