PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

So it looks like some posters need a 101 on how to use Amazon.

1-562-980-2905
Is the phone number for the customer service branch selling the drive (Sunbow Technology Co LTD) headquartered in Long Beach as listed if you just follow the appropriate links on the product page. One can ask about warranties there, I presume, though one you may also contact them with a text-based question via your Amazon account through their Amazon feedback page.
https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding...derID=&seller=A1YYUY3B6CA82Z&tab=&vasStoreID=
Not pertaining to warranty, specifically, the vendor honors the general Amazon Return Policy, and one can see negative reviewers have had their orders fulfilled/refunded by Amazon in the vendor feedback section on the rare occasion those have come up (99% positive lifetime rating).

Additionally, here is the contact information listed by their parent company at their English-language domain website:
Contact Us
Contact person:Zhang Chengzhi
Tel:0755-27369433
Phone number:15813723466
E-mail:[email protected]
Add:Rom330, Block B Zhihuichuangxin Center
Qianjin 2RD, Bao'an, Shenzhen

1-562-980-2905
Is the phone number for the customer service branch selling the drive (Sunbow Technology Co LTD) headquartered in Long Beach as listed if you just follow the appropriate links on the product page. One can ask about warranties there, I presume, though one you may also contact them with a text-based question via your Amazon account through their Amazon feedback page.
https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding...derID=&seller=A1YYUY3B6CA82Z&tab=&vasStoreID=
Not pertaining to warranty, specifically, the vendor honors the general Amazon Return Policy, and one can see negative reviewers have had their orders fulfilled/refunded by Amazon in the vendor feedback section on the rare occasion those have come up (99% positive lifetime rating).

Additionally, here is the contact information listed by their parent company at their English-language domain website:
Contact Us

quote me

It's crazy how advanced the first 2 gens of i7s where for there time.

My brother in law still games on an overclocked i7 920 that he bought at the end of 2008 and has it paired with an almost 7 year old 290x.

He's literally playing games on high settings on a CPU that he bought when George Bush was still in office :eek::eek::eek:

I'm still using an i5 2500k based system I built in 2011. Swapped out the old GTX570 for a RX480. Everything else is original.

That said, I'm actually here because I'm gonna buy a whole knew system and am looking for some updates suggestions. Rumor is that computer prices are going to spike because of the Coronvirus.

I'm still using an i5 2500k based system I built in 2011. Swapped out the old GTX570 for a RX480. Everything else is original.

That said, I'm actually here because I'm gonna buy a whole knew system and am looking for some updates suggestions. Rumor is that computer prices are going to spike because of the Coronvirus.

IMO the Ryzen 5 3600 and Ryzen 5 3700 are the cpu's to buy. If you're on a budget, then go with the Ryzen 5 1600AF (basically a ryzen 5 2600).
GPU is a bit more difficult. We've hit that point where you should wait for the next generation of GPU's to be released before buying, but with the supply delays coming their release dates might be pushed back.

1-562-980-2905

Contact Us

Out of curiosity I just tried calling that number, guess what I got.
"The person you are trying to reach is not accepting calls at this time. Please try your call again later"
No voice mail. Out fucking standing customer service.
Meanwhile every other manufacturer I can go on their website right now and file a warranty claim.

Oh, and their Amazon support page
Contact Seller : SunBow Technology Co Ltd
Write Your Message (Please allow 2 business days for the seller to respond.)

There's a microcenter in Tusin near you so that's where you'll want to go to get the CPU/motheboard. As Jeff said 3600 and 3700 are good for the price. Since your near the microcenter if your on a budget you can get the previous years models for cheap (2700X for $140 or the 2600X for $100).

I personally would wait. Where so far into this generation that even your old system will do fine (most games are running on 2015-2016 era game engines). Not only that when the Ryzen 4000 series comes out it's a win win because you can either get one of those or if there too expensive you can just pick up the 3000 series at a heavily reduced price since microcenter will slash the price

There's a microcenter in Tusin near you so that's where you'll want to go to get the CPU/motheboard. As Jeff said 3600 and 3700 are good for the price. Since your near the microcenter if your on a budget you can get the previous years models for cheap (2700X for $140 or the 2600X for $100).

I personally would wait. Where so far into this generation that even your old system will do fine (most games are running on 2015-2016 era game engines). Not only that when the Ryzen 4000 series comes out it's a win win because you can either get one of those or if there too expensive you can just pick up the 3000 series at a heavily reduced price since microcenter will slash the price

For someone that doesn’t upgrade hardware often, 8ish years for this guy with the 2500k, I wouldn’t recommend last generation hardware unless they’re on a very, very strict budget. Then you go with the 1600AF

For someone that doesn’t upgrade hardware often, 8ish years for this guy with the 2500k, I wouldn’t recommend last generation hardware unless they’re on a very, very strict budget. Then you go with the 1600AF
That was my point. If your on a strict budget but want/must have 8 cores then microcenter 2700/2700x. If you can't stretch that then 2600X which is a slightly better CPU than the 1600AF and microcenter sells it for near identical price (price is actually better since you get $30 off motherboard with 2600x where the 1600AF they don't even sell)

Last edited:
That was my point. If your on a strict budget but want/must have 8 cores then microcenter 2700/2700x. If you can't stretch that then 2600X which is a slightly better CPU than the 1600AF and microcenter sells it for near identical price (price is actually better since you get $30 off motherboard with 2600x where the 1600AF they don't even sell)
I don't live near a microcenter so I don't pay attention to their pricing.
The difference between a 2600x and 1600AF is negligible, in a blind test you couldn't tell which one was which.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not in a rush, but my system is definitely long in the tooth and I thought it might be a good time to upgrade if component prices are going to rise (from corona).

Money isn't an issue outside of me just being logical about what I actually need. I could have easily replaced my PC over the years, but why? My current PC still does everything I need it to... but some of these components have to be on their last legs (I've said that for like 3 years).

I also recently bought a Laptop with an i7 and RTX2070 (from Microcenter), but I try to only use that when traveling.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not in a rush, but my system is definitely long in the tooth and I thought it might be a good time to upgrade if component prices are going to rise (from corona).

Money isn't an issue outside of me just being logical about what I actually need. I could have easily replaced my PC over the years, but why? My current PC still does everything I need it to... but some of these components have to be on their last legs (I've said that for like 3 years).

I also recently bought a Laptop with an i7 and RTX2070 (from Microcenter), but I try to only use that when traveling.

You've had the right mindset all along. If it does what you want, there's no reason to upgrade.

You've had the right mindset all along. If it does what you want, there's no reason to upgrade.

I keep thinking about upgrading, then I realized I'm playing Witcher 3 maxed out @ 60FPS and I'll probably be playing that for the next year or so, anyway, so why bother right now?

I do love watching 3DMark numbers getting better though lol.

I anticipated further nitpicky, howling, naysaying from parties too basic to investigate simple contact info, so I had shot a message asking about the warranty policy using the Amazon messenger system. I received a terse and simple reply this afternoon:

"Hi
We have 3 years warranty.
Thank you."

I'll assume that's limited. Standard. Seems pretty straightforward. Although the most peculiar thing about the message was that it was in elaborate, broken formatting designed for Facebook. I suspect whatever poor, overworked soul is in charge of handling TC Sunbow's customer service for the US branch is most active and expedient on that platform.

Of course, to @sverre054, or anyone actually considering the purchase of an SSD, I wouldn't assert that these Chinese retailers who cut out the middle man offer the most robust customer service. Obviously they don't. Yet one should rationally frame the decision before him. Here's how I think about it. Let's assume, in spite of the fact they are responsive, and assert a 3-year warranty coverage, that you have 0% chance of claiming this warranty. Here's an old analysis of long-term SSD failure rates by Tom's Hardware:
j8Rj-lDArYR67hTNK74PQ1hyN9YLEN0nRPHUUAoYcFZ0PZCPRHwlIt8C20Ih-Nf0LhRRT0s5Xo9R77NXlrCBBEIyyesYVRgsVSbUB5grtKsCxNljMfGbyqT5z_tea3_mYg

You know that you are covered for the first 30 days by Amazon itself if the drive isn't delivered or is DOA. Thus, your only concern is a failure that conforms to limited warranties that falls outside this window: from month #2-#36. As you can see the failure rate for MLC SSDs is ~2% in a 3-year window.

Ergo, it's your prerogative to assess the respective value of this imperfectly presumed warranty advantage. Are you the type who buys into those swollen extended warranties for electronics the little drones at Best Buy are always trying to upsell you, for example? If we were talking about a car, or even a GPU, I would understand this concern. We're not. This is a half terabyte SSD we're talking about for $58. It's performing about 10% inferior in the most critical metric to gamers-- read speeds-- versus the Kingston Ultimate SU800 I suggested as an alternative:
https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Tcsunbow-X3-480GB-vs-Adata-Ultimate-SU800-512GB/m426638vs3913

That's a perfectly valid alternative for $12 more, and if you value the 1 in 50 chance you may enjoy a smoother experience should you have to file a warranty claim. On the other hand, 100% of the time you will be paying a 21% premium for a drive that is roughly identical for your purposes (before your sales taxes which drives that premium up). That's what happens in those other 49 instances.

That's the rational way to think about these things, IMO.

I anticipated further nitpicky, howling, naysaying from parties too basic to investigate simple contact info, so I had shot a message asking about the warranty policy using the Amazon messenger system. I received a terse and simple reply this afternoon:

"Hi
We have 3 years warranty.
Thank you."

I'll assume that's limited. Standard. Seems pretty straightforward. Although the most peculiar thing about the message was that it was in elaborate, broken formatting designed for Facebook. I suspect whatever poor, overworked soul is in charge of handling TC Sunbow's customer service for the US branch is most active and expedient on that platform.

Of course, to @sverre054, or anyone actually considering the purchase of an SSD, I wouldn't assert that these Chinese retailers who cut out the middle man offer the most robust customer service. Obviously they don't. Yet one should rationally frame the decision before him. Here's how I think about it. Let's assume, in spite of the fact they are responsive, and assert a 3-year warranty coverage, that you have 0% chance of claiming this warranty. Here's an old analysis of long-term SSD failure rates by Tom's Hardware:
MM58rIWA0HYSvA5jAWHC2PuZxsTrSNcXwvHxYtfM3t9sA03PFbRTG8nq0eWLrjZPggytjj-Os78MIIp5fXI0wdhvk5pe9KWmem9NunytlFgUN_bwpWgWN0Urm2HdObhOIQ

You know that you are covered for the first 30 days by Amazon itself if the drive isn't delivered or is DOA. Thus, your only concern is a failure that conforms to limited warranties that falls outside this window: from month #2-#36. As you can see the failure rate for MLC SSDs is ~2% in a 3-year window.

Ergo, it's your prerogative to assess the respective value of this imperfectly presumed warranty advantage. Are you the type who buys into those swollen extended warranties for electronics the little drones at Best Buy are always trying to upsell you, for example? If we were talking about a car, or even a GPU, I would understand this concern. We're not. This is a half terabyte SSD we're talking about for $58. It's performing about 10% inferior in the most critical metric to gamers-- read speeds-- versus the Kingston Ultimate SU800 I suggested as an alternative:
https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Tcsunbow-X3-480GB-vs-Adata-Ultimate-SU800-512GB/m426638vs3913

That's a perfectly valid alternative for $12 more, and if you value the 1 in 50 chance you may enjoy a smoother experience should you have to file a warranty claim. On the other hand, 100% of the time you will be paying a 21% premium for a drive that is roughly identical for your purposes (before your sales taxes which drives that premium up). That's what happens in those other 49 instances.

That's the rational way to think about these things, IMO.

So I sent them a message as well asking how to go about the warranty process and this is what I got.
FjwQPGD.png

That's a great RMA process they have going on there, send an email through Amazon.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that the simple cost-benefit analysis I forwarded is too abstruse for those who require instruction on how to use Amazon customer service (and then are dismissive when customer service is responsive).

.02 * $58 = $1.16 predictive value ($12.00 - $1.16 = $10.84 deficit)
.98 * $12 = $11.76 predictive value (raw surfeit)

"Wise".

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that the simple cost-benefit analysis I forwarded is too abstruse for those who require instruction on how to use Amazon customer service (and then are dismissive when customer service is responsive).

.02 * $58 = $1.16 predictive value ($12.00 - $1.16 = $10.84 deficit)
.98 * $12 = $11.76 predictive value (raw surfeit)

"Wise".

And if the product breaks in 6 months and I can't get it warrantied, I'm out all that money.

BTW keep slinging these 14 year old girl passive aggressive insults towards me like you have been for the past 6+ months, it really lets your maturity show.

so even with the amd-intel shit moved, this thread is the same. lolz.

edit: oh, right. that was the hardware thread.

hanks for the advice. I'm not in a rush, but my system is definitely long in the tooth and I thought it might be a good time to upgrade if component prices are going to rise (from corona).

Money isn't an issue outside of me just being logical about what I actually need. I could have easily replaced my PC over the years, but why? My current PC still does everything I need it to...

i mean... yeah. pricing/supply seems to be questionable for the future, so now might be a good time.

of course, all the corona-chan hysteria is likely a bit overblown, and the supply shock might be minimal/only a minor setback. but thems the risks.

Last edited:
Back