PC Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v6: My Power Supply Burned Down My House

Can I get your take on proper installation of the cooler? Right now the plan is to put the radiator on the roof of the case, with the tubes meeting the radiator near the back (as opposed to near the front fans), looping down and hooking up to the block/pump.

In general what is your advice on the installation process? CPU, SSD and memory into mobo, mobo into case, cooler, wiring, gpu and cable management?

EDIT: Yes, he's an awesome poster. Also gratz on having the most badass AV I've seen in any forum

Thanks for the compliment on my AV. Jolly Cooperation all the way man! So generally when I was building a lot of PC's I liked to put the smaller stuff on the mobo before installing the mobo such as CPU/RAM/SSD/your mounting rig for your cooler in before putting the mobo in but TBH it's just a bit of preference for the most part as long as you are sure to either be grounded/work safely. TBH the only thing I would recommend doing for sure is to put the mounting rig for whatever cooler you want to attach on because it's a lot more annoying having to flip your whole case over a couple times if it's not screwed down exactly right later. On my own builds a lot of the time I put the mobo in the case first after the cooler mount because visually it gives me a better idea what all I'm working with space wise and then I can think about how I want to do things while I'm putting in the other things. The difference is when I built a lot of rigs I was often using the cases/mobo combos I was more familiar with so I already knew how they would fit.

Here is a diagram I went to find that could help with your AIO. There are two things to consider which this diagram does a good job showing. One is you do not want your pump to ever interact with any air in your system as it will burn out the pump pretty fast and the other is you don't want any kinks in the line. Both of these things will degrade your pump much faster. With this diagram in mind you can pretty well do any build even a custom one. The only thing I don't like about the diagram is the very last picture I would have kind of preferred that there wasn't such a hard angle coming off the pump. You can just turn it if that's your spacing and give it a much more gentle curve to the radiator.

X5yGEuP.jpg

Guys I can't fucking wait- GPU arrives monday, that's the last piece. I have ten fans. TEN.

Three on the front and three on the side for intake, three on the radiator and one on the back for exhaust. I'm staring at these beautiful pieces, thinking maybe I'll get a custom cap for the pump.

GHAH I'm so excited, I haven't made a rig since late 2014

Thank you for helping me through this

Three on the front and three on the side for intake, three on the radiator and one on the back for exhaust.

Dont see any positive results of having six intake fans airflow working perpendicular to one another in such close proximity. Youre also running into a problem that the system cant exhaust the air its taking in. On top of the artificial tornado vortex created at the front of the case.

Dont see any positive results of having six intake fans airflow working perpendicular to one another in such close proximity. Youre also running into a problem that the system cant exhaust the air its taking in. On top of the artificial tornado vortex created at the front of the case.
Make the side ones face the other way then?

Okay dumb question time. The CPU cooler says to plug into the CPU Fan socket on the mobo. The problem is that it has three holes and the socket on the board has four prongs.

Okay dumb question time. The CPU cooler says to plug into the CPU Fan socket on the mobo. The problem is that it has three holes and the socket on the board has four prongs.

You still put your 3 pin connector on the motherboards 4 pin header, you'll just have 1 extra pin sticking out like the picture below. They're both keyed so you can't install it wrong.
kA090000000MrmX_3.jpg

You still put your 3 pin connector on the motherboards 4 pin header, you'll just have 1 extra pin sticking out like the picture below. They're both keyed so you can't install it wrong.
kA090000000MrmX_3.jpg
Thank you- this just seemed so counterintuitive to me. I may actually remember this happening the last time I made a rig lol

I'm now getting scared out of my mind, I don't want to fuck this up. The GPU came in today so I have everything I need. I don't even want to risk using my screwdriver either, which has magnetized function to make putting different bits in.

My plan is:
Take out the mobo, put in the CPU, memory and SSD.
Put the mobo in the case, which already has the PSU installed
Put in the cooler
Do cable management
Put in the GPU

I need to study the layout of my mobo more. I'm unsure if I should get the entire procedure memorized, or just study one step thoroughly, do it, then move on to studying the next step.

Thank you- this just seemed so counterintuitive to me. I may actually remember this happening the last time I made a rig lol

I'm now getting scared out of my mind, I don't want to fuck this up. The GPU came in today so I have everything I need. I don't even want to risk using my screwdriver either, which has magnetized function to make putting different bits in.

My plan is:
Take out the mobo, put in the CPU, memory and SSD.
Put the mobo in the case, which already has the PSU installed
Put in the cooler
Do cable management
Put in the GPU

I need to study the layout of my mobo more. I'm unsure if I should get the entire procedure memorized, or just study one step thoroughly, do it, then move on to studying the next step.

It's pretty hard to screw something up these days. Open up a build video from someone like Bitwit or LTT and follow along.

Will my case's USB 3.0 work with the USB 3.2 Mobo port? They look like they match

Also can someone tell me what the hell this is? Is this a converter of some sort or is this just to give a better angle from underneath to the Mobo?

20210801-125305.jpg

Also what the fuck is this thing? It comes from the case and doesn't match anything I can find in the manual
20210801-131040.jpg

20210801-131054.jpg

Also can someone tell me what the hell this is? Is this a converter of some sort or is this just to give a better angle from underneath to the Mobo?

20210801-125305.jpg

That's just a right angle adapter. If you don't need to use it, you don't have to.
As for the USB, yes. You just won't get 3.2 speeds, it will only be 3.0 speeds.

edited for your last pick with the manual: That's the USB 3.1 Type C connector.

Last edited:
That's just a right angle adapter. If you don't need to use it, you don't have to.
As for the USB, yes. You just won't get 3.2 speeds, it will only be 3.0 speeds.

edited for your last pick with the manual: That's the USB 3.1 Type C connector.
Dude thanks. Now the thing is... I can't find anywhere on the Mobo to plug it. Do I need an adapter to make it USB 2.0?

Again thank you for walking me through this. The manuals that come with this stuff have very, very little.

Dude thanks. Now the thing is... I can't find anywhere on the Mobo to plug it. Do I need an adapter to make it USB 2.0?

Again thank you for walking me through this. The manuals that come with this stuff have very, very little.

what motherboard do you have?

what motherboard do you have?
Aorus B550 Pro AC
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-b550-aorus-pro-ac/p/N82E16813145216?Item=N82E16813145216

Couple other things--
1) I'm trying to put the radiator on the roof but the cables up top are kind of in the way. I'm afraid to be too rough on them, this is what I'm looking at right now. Also I put the "PWM fan cable up near the CPU header, just to the left of it you can see.

2) I looked to see which way I should put the CPU cable in, which end for mobo and which end for PSU, and the consensus I've found is that the 4x4 goes into the Mobo and that the full 8pin goes into the PSU. They also said they won't fit if you try to do it wrong but I'm looking at these cords and that does not appear to be the case at all. I put the 4x4 into the mobo regardless.

3) I was going to use the angle adapter but the way the one "absent" pin was, it would have been pointing up which made no sense to me, so you can see I just put it around the PSU chamber and plugged it in.

20210801-140438.jpg

20210801-140443.jpg

20210801-140502.jpg

Do I need to put the radiator on the actual top of the case and then screw in the fans underneath?

Aorus B550 Pro AC
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-b550-aorus-pro-ac/p/N82E16813145216?Item=N82E16813145216

Couple other things--
1) I'm trying to put the radiator on the roof but the cables up top are kind of in the way. I'm afraid to be too rough on them, this is what I'm looking at right now. Also I put the "PWM fan cable up near the CPU header, just to the left of it you can see.

2) I looked to see which way I should put the CPU cable in, which end for mobo and which end for PSU, and the consensus I've found is that the 4x4 goes into the Mobo and that the full 8pin goes into the PSU. They also said they won't fit if you try to do it wrong but I'm looking at these cords and that does not appear to be the case at all. I put the 4x4 into the mobo regardless.

3) I was going to use the angle adapter but the way the one "absent" pin was, it would have been pointing up which made no sense to me, so you can see I just put it around the PSU chamber and plugged it in.

20210801-140438.jpg

20210801-140443.jpg

20210801-140502.jpg

Going through the manual it appears your motherboard doesn't have an internal USB-C header. It's not needed, you just won't have front panel USB-C.
Don't be afraid to bend a cable, you're not going to hurt it.
You have the right cable plugged into the cpu connector on your motherboard.
As for the screws on the radiator, yes. There will be a set of screws on the top that holds the radiator to the case, those will be shorter screws about the same length as the screws you used to hold your motherboard in. To hold the fans to the radiator, there will be really long screws.

You're going to want to change around the direction of those fans on the back of the case, you want them to suck air in as well. Right now you would have air sucking in through the front panel and immediately exhausting out the back panel, it wouldn't provide any cooling for your pc.

Going through the manual it appears your motherboard doesn't have an internal USB-C header. It's not needed, you just won't have front panel USB-C.
Don't be afraid to bend a cable, you're not going to hurt it.
You have the right cable plugged into the cpu connector on your motherboard.
As for the screws on the radiator, yes. There will be a set of screws on the top that holds the radiator to the case, those will be shorter screws about the same length as the screws you used to hold your motherboard in. To hold the fans to the radiator, there will be really long screws.

You're going to want to change around the direction of those fans on the back of the case, you want them to suck air in as well. Right now you would have air sucking in through the front panel and immediately exhausting out the back panel, it wouldn't provide any cooling for your pc.

Okay, I've actually taken out all the fans, and I think I can actually get the radiator and fans underneath on top now. I'll manually route all the fans, and the ones on the side I'll turn around as you've instructed
this way everything will exhaust out the top and the back

Back