Should calf kicks become an illegal strike?

Fighters need to learn to check em, if someone checks a calf kick and their leg breaks Anderson Silva style that shit would stop quick.
This is exactly what I said last night during the commentary.

Fuck that. We are going to see a resurgence of the karate style movement, because boxers are too fucking static to defend against calf kicks.
Thats like saying we should ban jabs and straights, because they are too popular.
This. While its boring now I think it will.be exciting or at least interesting to see style evolve around it.

**Thread merged. I don't believe they should be banned. This wasn't my thread title**

Calf kick, calf kick, calf kick. Whether in commentary form or spamming them in the fight. I know sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to win, but since it exploded in popularity it's getting a bit old. Even the commentators just brought up this mindset as I'm typing this. I can't wait until somebody brings a counter to MMA and slow this stuff down. As Bisping just said, I don't want to start seeing calf kick competitions.
Weidman has the counter down pat. He snapped Silvas leg with it.

Creepy_Joe_Biden_Licking_His_Lips_Over_George_Floyd_Race_Riots-300x258.gif

That Munoz-Rivera fight was entertaining as fuck.

Yes, because they threw bombs the entire time and fortunately for us Rivera sucked it up and fought for fifteen minutes instead of collapsing. I can’t even imagine the action if Rivera wasn’t hobbled.

FWIW, I’m not someone who thinks calf kicks automatically ruin a fight. I enjoy a tactical battle, and if calf kicks are part of the attack, so be it. But it certainly has the potential to make a fight less entertaining, which isn’t something that the UFC and other promotions are keen on.

My point isn’t that the kicks are in immediate jeopardy, it’s that companies/commissions aren’t automatically may not default to “learn defense” forever.

No they will soon be fizzled out when a method of defending them becomes popular.

Everyone tries to move back. You gotta move forward.

Step in with the lead leg toward your kicking opponent and fire a 2 straight down the pipe.

The kicker wants their lower shin, right above the foot, to hit your calf. Not the side of your leg, but almost the back of it. That bundle of nerves will hamper foot movement completely if damaged. It's almost like instant, acute carpal tunnel for your foot.

So stepping in usually causes the kicker's upper shin/knee to hit roughly the same spot on the defender, and the defender can counter.

Seems like mma is the only combat sport with kicking that hasn't figured it out yet.

Awesome, basically ban everything that isn’t a roundhouse to the face, including all blocking and footwork. Every fight KO.

I love it, should bring back stomps groin strikes/kicks and soccer kicks too so we can see who really is the best fighters.

And who is saying you can't check them? Lol yes you can. You just can't check them like it's a kick to your thigh.

We've seen dudes in the UFC check them, years ago lol "can't check them" get outta here.

And who is saying you can't check them? Lol yes you can. You just can't check them like it's a kick to your thigh.

We've seen dudes in the UFC check them, years ago lol "can't check them" get outta here.

I couldnt agree more

Its not hard to deal with them...

Two methods

1) Step into the strike with a out turned lead leg ( very common in karate and other TMA) so that the knee and shin are pointing towards the attacking kick and intercepts it while striking with rear hand with a power straight or any hand combination the user wants..

2) the Muay thai style counter is to counter with a kick...or clinch... Raise the lead leg completely off the ground, erasing the original target area then follow thru with a wide step down of the lead leg and respond with a roundhouse kick from the rear leg to the head or body or leg ..this is very common in Real THAI fights ..lumpini stadium shit.. or once the leg is lifted and kick misses alot of thais opt to enter the clinch right away as the opponent can not move due to kick recovery...Izzy has used the first variation in the Octagon already...

The answers r out...guys are just playing the macho game or arent drilling it...

No way leg kick will hurt me....guy gets kickd 30 fucking times lmfao....embarassing

Last edited:
Of course not. The CALF IS A MUSCLE. This is fucking cage fighting.

...and that's all I have to say on matter.

Why should they
They shouldn’t. They won’t. It’s all ironic.

This entire thread is about Bisping riffing about it in a joking manner last night, and it’s clear that over half the “hard core fans” on this thread didn’t even watch the best fight of the night last night.

The calf kick evolution these last 2 years is one of the most fascinating evolutions in the sport in 2 decades. Defenses will evolve, and I bet most fans won’t even see them when they do.

I couldnt agree more

Its not hard to deal with them...

Two methods

1) Step into the strike with a out turned lead leg ( very common in karate and other TMA) so that the knee and shin are pointing towards the attacking kick and intercepts it while striking with rear hand with a power straight or any hand combination the user wants..

2) the Muay thai style counter is to counter with a kick...or clinch... Raise the lead leg completely off the ground, erasing the original target area then follow thru with a wide step down of the lead leg and respond with a roundhouse kick from the rear leg to the head or body or leg ..this is very common in Real THAI fights ..lumpini stadium shit.. or once the leg is lifted and kick misses alot of thais opt to enter the clinch right away as the opponent can not move due to kick recovery...Izzy has used the first variation in the Octagon already...

The answers r out...guys are just playing the macho game or arent drilling it...

No way leg kick will hurt me....guy gets kickd 30 fucking times lmfao....embarassing
Both involve weight mostly distributed on the back foot, no?

So we just may not see a lot of guys leaning forward with a wide stance just out of boxing range anymore.

Back