Should I return to Boxing, Muay Thai or Both?

Woldog

SherGOAT
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
As some of you would know I retired from combat sports aged 28 to allow my body to heal (and because I had been doing it since I was 12 and was just sick of it). I've fought in both Boxing and Muay Thai and thought my time training was done.

Today I was asked if I would like to return to my old gym to help train the newbies in boxing four nights a week and in return I'd be given full membership for free (this is an expensive gym aimed at professional fighters and high level amateurs that I previously spent 6 years at before calling it quits).

While I haven't decided if I'll fight again I can't decide if I should focus my personal training on boxing or Muay Thai.

Fight for your sport here and tell me which one I should focus on, or if I should do what I used to do and just train both.

As some of you would know I retired from combat sports aged 28 to allow my body to heal (and because I had been doing it since I was 12 and was just sick of it). I've fought in both Boxing and Muay Thai and thought my time training was done.

Today I was asked if I would like to return to my old gym to help train the newbies in boxing four nights a week and in return I'd be given full membership for free (this is an expensive gym aimed at professional fighters and high level amateurs that I previously spent 6 years at before calling it quits).

While I haven't decided if I'll fight again I can't decide if I should focus my personal training on boxing or Muay Thai.

Fight for your sport here and tell me which one I should focus on, or if I should do what I used to do and just train both.

If it's coaching, I think maybe you should do boxing, because you were more exp with that. If it's competing at a later date - maybe go for Muay Thai, you didn't get as much time in the ring there!

Though being real, you can make your personal training style whatever you need it to be, whether or not its hands heavy muay thai or pure boxing for some clients!

If it's coaching, I think maybe you should do boxing, because you were more exp with that. If it's competing at a later date - maybe go for Muay Thai, you didn't get as much time in the ring there!

Though being real, you can make your personal training style whatever you need it to be, whether or not its hands heavy muay thai or pure boxing for some clients!
Coaching is just for boxing anyway. I'm talking about what I do in my personal gym time. Boxing I'll just be teaching boxing babies fundamentals for like a month at a time before they're off to do their own thing in gym time.

Considering you're 0-300 in muay thai and 0-400 in boxing, I'd say boxing would be more useful. ;)
Or both. Why not both?

Do both but everytime you turn up at boxing wear full Muay Thai gear and insist on doing a full Wai Kru.

Seriously though sounds like a top opportunity. I'd likely train both for the love of it and fight where the opportunities came up.

Do both but everytime you turn up at boxing wear full Muay Thai gear and insist on doing a full Wai Kru.

Seriously though sounds like a top opportunity. I'd likely train both for the love of it and fight where the opportunities came up.

I used to train both and fight both. But my knee is a bit dodgy from a rugby injury so my Muay Thai was literally at the mercy of my knee swelling up randomly.
As the thai trainer used to say when we did MT pads "Right leg strong. Left leg like baby"

Remember to put it on when you rko some pro guy
El Woldog lays a smackdown on a woman after introducing equal rights combat to the gym.
mexico-wrestling-women_22f5a2b8-1c45-11e8-ba26-4f9ea6a8f74e.jpg

From what I've seen there's more money to be made in muay thai because it attracts more of a middle class mma type crowd than boxing, at least in the us it does. I think having a strong boxing knowledge can make you stand out from a lot of other muay thai instructors as well. Ultimately might be better to choose whatever you are more passionate and more experienced in though

From what I've seen there's more money to be made in muay thai because it attracts more of a middle class mma type crowd than boxing, at least in the us it does. I think having a strong boxing knowledge can make you stand out from a lot of other muay thai instructors as well. Ultimately might be better to choose whatever you are more passionate and more experienced in though

I'm not worried about money. Don't actually want to make money from fighting. I'm not even going to be making money from training people. If I was going to go pro I would have done it 50 amateur fights ago lol.
I've done far more boxing than Muay Thai, but I'm already burning out at the thought of doing either and I just signed a 1 year contract 5 hours ago.

I used to train both and fight both. But my knee is a bit dodgy from a rugby injury so my Muay Thai was literally at the mercy of my knee swelling up randomly.
As the thai trainer used to say when we did MT pads "Right leg strong. Left leg like baby"
I feel your pain, except it's in my shoulders xD Kicking game is all that keeps me alive to be fair :p

Back