So Gane would have basically stood zero chance against Prime Werdum, correct?

Werdum should absolutely win, long as he doesn't go full K1 Werdum as he sometimes did. Get away with that with Hunt, but probably not Gane

I think he could win the fight like that, Werdum fought very smart against Hunt and used the threat of the takedown to set up his strikes very well, it's the Stipe fight that was when Werdum didn't fight smart and didn't use the threat of his grappling to set up his striking.

Its very possible that Werdum wouldn't be able to get it to the ground. He was never a great wrestler.

Still, I guess I'd be leaning slightly towards Werdum.

Zero chance? brother, we are talking about the HW division.

I would bet my house, my wife, and another house on that fight.
Werdum should absolutely win, long as he doesn't go full K1 Werdum as he sometimes did. Get away with that with Hunt, but probably not Gane
Hunt hit harder than Gane/was more dangerous to stand with in that it was more likely to end suddenly.
3 rounds of this
6.gif
Yeah because Gane totally has the TDD of prime Ubereem lol
Werdum has good grappling but his take downs aren't good enough
Gane outpoints Werdum IMO. Werdums takedowns were always weak.
Challenge you guys hard on this notion. They were good enough for plenty of ranked HWs back when HW wasn't total dogshit, and were good enough vs guys who had TDD better than Cyril "never faced a grappler in my entire professional career to include my title shot, then got outgrappled by a kickboxer, then when I faced a true grappler was subbed in under a minute" Gane. Werdum has much better TDs than Francis.
Ugh, Sherdog and ugly conclusions... it was mental thing - not grappling that defeated Gane.
There was probably a valid reason he was scared shitless. Likely the same reason Art Jimmerson tapped to position vs Royce. The grappling gap was huge (like "it shouldn't be sanctioned in the amateurs" huge) so the math ain't hard on the root cause of the "he was scared" psychoanalysis.

No. Werdum as better than Jones on the ground but did not have better wrestling. Also Gane being stopped doesn't mean he has zero ground game. Shit happens.

Werdum was significantly better on the ground than Jones. Gane obviously does horribly when taken down. So, my conclusion is that Gane would have basically stood zero chance against Werdum.

Who agrees?
LOLOLOL @ comparing Fabricio Werdum to Jon Jones

I certainly wouldn't count Werdum out because Gane is THAT BAD on the mat but Werdum sucks at getting the fight to the mat and his standup is sloppy as hell

Gane outpoints Werdum IMO. Werdums takedowns were always weak.
Good point - Werdum is a wizard on the ground, but he wasn't a takedown machine, and I doubt Gane would fall for this:
giphy.gif

Did Werdum immediately take down who he could take down?

Or would he stand and bang for a decent amount of time?

There's your answer.

@Versez and @GOATtalks had Gane in most skilled HWs ever list
So? Gane is one of, if not the best striker at HW we’ve ever seen. He would absolutely outclass Werdum on the feet.

And don’t judge his level of fighting by one bad fight. By that logic you could look at Aldo’s career and only look at his 13 second KO and say he’s a bum.

Yes, Gane performed bad against Jones. I think Jones aura overwhelmed him. He has shown in his previous fights he has good submission skills, good TDD and great clinch work.

TBH I would favour him against Werdum. Werdum doesn’t have the wrestling that Jones has, so there’s a good chance they kept it standing and Gane would definitely pick him apart there

Werdum had excellent BJJ, mediocre striking and wrestling.

Gane has excellent striking, mediocre wrestling and BJJ.

Every roundstarts standing up, so Gane would actually be the favourite if they fought.

Lol.

Gane finished Lewis, Tai and JDS, but couldn’t KO Werdum? Yeah, cool

Prime Werdum is a different level than Tai and washed JDS.

It would have been interesting. Werdum probably catches him eventually.

Gane could quite possibly be the most overrated HW in UFC history
He can still change the momentum but I agree, never bought the "most athletic/ new breed HW" that Rogan was parroting when Gane started in the UFC. JDS was a shell of his former self and Derrick Lewis is, well, he's Derrick Lewis. And after what he did, or rather didn't do in the Jones fight, Gane is a wet fart. Just listen to him in the post fight conference "I'm okay, things happens" big smile on his face cause he just cashed a big check, no dog in him.

Back