So Ryan Garcia won.....

Poor reading comprehension does not mean there are contradictions in someone else's argument.
You complain that fighters get in the clinch but also complain that referees break up the clinch. Should referees let fighters clinch or not?

The normalization of clinching is as much of a crime against boxing as no grounded knees is to MMA.

Both sports are fundamentally broken because of this (at least in MMA's monopoly promotion). It means that in both sports, fighters are constantly put in positions where they can't actually fight properly.

If a ref is constantly involved in the fight itself, the way refs are in boxing as they break up clinches every 5 seconds, you've severely fucked up your combat ruleset/implementation of the ruleset and you need to change it.
That was not clinching! What Haney did was blatant holding. There's a difference. You can throw punches from a clinch, it can be a pivotal part of inside fighting. Haney held with no intention of throwing punches, he held to prevent himself from being knocked out.

You complain that fighters get in the clinch but also complain that referees break up the clinch. Should referees let fighters clinch or not?

The refs breaking up the clinch was not the complaint. The complaint was refs needing to break up clinches every 5 seconds.

Which they wouldn't have to do if...i'll let you figure that out on your own.

The refs breaking up the clinch was not the complaint. The complaint was refs needing to break up clinches every 5 seconds.

Which they wouldn't have to do if...i'll let you figure that out on your own.
They wouldn’t have to do if somebody let them know clinching was part of boxing?

If Duran, Holyfield or Hopkins were fighting today, they wouldn’t even be allowed to box.

Also, why are you being an asshat when we could have a civil conversation?

That was not clinching! What Haney did was blatant holding. There's a difference. You can throw punches from a clinch, it can be a pivotal part of inside fighting. Haney held with no intention of throwing punches, he held to prevent himself from being knocked out.

Case in point. A fan who has been forced to invent in his own mind a tortured understanding of the rules, because refs won't enforce the actual rules as clearly written.

You can be forgiven for it. Most boxing fans have been conditioned the same way.

They wouldn’t have to do if somebody let them know clinching was part of boxing?

If Duran, Holyfield or Hopkins were fighting today, they wouldn’t even be allowed to box.

Also, why are you being an asshat when we could have a civil conversation?

I just genuinely wanted you to understand that there was no contradiction without having to spell it out, because I figured it was obvious enough.

My point was that refs wouldn't have to break up clinches every 5 seconds if they actually enforced the rules. Fighters would either adapt, or they would be DQd, so the ref would no longer constantly be involved throughout a fight. He would be involved very significantly in the DQ case, but it wouldn't be happening every 5 seconds.

Better to leave clinch fighting to bareknuckle, muay thai and MMA. Clinch fighting with boxing gloves, no knees or elbows is just too awkward and limiting a form of combat and does not make for a good spectacle. Of course there are going to be guys that can do it more effectively than others, but that is not reason enough for its existence.

There are also guys who can shoot double legs and throw spinning kicks better than others - it doesn't mean these things should be part of boxing.

Case in point. A fan who has been forced to invent in his own mind a tortured understanding of the rules, because refs won't enforce the actual rules as clearly written.

You can be forgiven for it. Most boxing fans have been conditioned the same way.
It's okay to admit you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

i mean we've already seen ryan with tank, we know how it goes for him when his opponent has power on top of skill.

imagine if you forced Jon Jones to crazy-cut to middleweight and then form conclusions about him as a LHW/HW fighter if he ends up getting destroyed because his body was in a compromised state

imagine if you forced Jon Jones to crazy-cut to middleweight and then form conclusions about him as a LHW/HW fighter if he ends up getting destroyed because his body was in a compromised state
imagine thinking ryan garcia was crazy diminished at 135 where he'd fought for years, but was finally at his comfortable weight of being 3 pounds over the agreed 140.

in fact, he was struggling so hard to make 136 he was eating nothing but veggies all camp, right?

oh wait no

Ryan beat Devin, can't take that away, but it wasn't fair and square. Going in way over weight, clear advantage against a weight drained Haney. This isn't sour grapes, it is what it is, i still think Ryan was a bad matchup for Devin and could've beaten him without the weight advantage.

imagine thinking ryan garcia was crazy diminished at 135 where he'd fought for years, but was finally at his comfortable weight of being 3 pounds over the agreed 140.

in fact, he was struggling so hard to make 136 he was eating nothing but veggies all camp, right?

oh wait no

this dude really out here pointing to teenager Ryan's career to support his claim that Ryan wasn't impaired by the weight cut lol

this dude really out here pointing to teenager Ryan's career to support his claim that Ryan wasn't impaired by the weight cut lol
he was so impaired he ate 2 pounds of candy 3 weeks before the fight.

he was so impaired he ate 2 pounds of candy 3 weeks before the fight.

you don't think all that stuff isn't about showmanship and mind games? like the beer drinking for the Haney weigh-in (water in a beer bottle).

regardless you can have this bro, you're right.

I've seen you argue with people to the pits of garbage just to avoid conceding.

you argue with people that 2+2=5 just for your ego.

you don't think all that stuff isn't about showmanship and mind games? like the beer drinking for the Haney weigh-in (water in a beer bottle).

regardless you can have this bro, you're right.

I've seen you argue with people to the pits of garbage just to avoid conceding.

you argue with people that 2+2=5 just for your ego.
i will concede that you're a clueless dummy. how's that?

Nobody cares. Whatever helps you sleep at night. There is no "we." You're limited knowledge and alternative reality is all yours alone bud.
Dam, good to see Loma Stans still salty.

No one talked about Kambosos before the Teo fight. He was a nobody. There's a reason he was 10/1 underdog. Virtually everyone scored the fight for Loma. Haney lost. Deal with it.

1. I think he's in withdrawal.
2. He's in PR crisis control.

Last edited:
Back