Somebody please give Jamahal Hill a lesson in interviewing

Nate Diaz was a journeyman who changed his career with a single post fight interview.

Yeah I feel the same way about Masvidal. Though both are more like gatekeepers to being a champion since they both have been competitive when they challenged for belts, been competitive with the championship contenders they fought, beaten former mma champs but they just couldnt win a belt themselves.

False...

Talking doesnt need or shouldn't be a prerequisite of making money...

Knocking mother fuckers out in the first should do that enough ..

Pay the man...see ya on the next one .

Mic skills is for WWE this shit real over here

Mic skills will definitely help you make more money.

False...

Talking doesnt need or shouldn't be a prerequisite of making money...

Knocking mother fuckers out in the first should do that enough ..

Pay the man...see ya on the next one .

Mic skills is for WWE this shit real over here

You’re Talking in shoulds. I agree that wins should matter more. But that’s just not how it works in this business.

We are a plethora of things I imagine. Some just care about the actual fights, some care about the business aspect, some care about the person behind the fighter, some care about a combination of things, including other aspects I didn't mention.

Yes, Like I said. There are different types of fans.

That's not both, that's just the business aspect you care about if you want them to go into another career. If you care about both, you want them to have a MMA career, but also that they make the best out of the job they chose to support themselves and possibly their family with.

But if the goal is to help them be as financialy secure as possible while having their MMA career, then they can surely do both. Moose for instance famously was investing into real estate throughout entire career and made a lot of money doing so. GSP had advisors while doing his MMA career. Aldo invested in a business. Etc etc. MMA "fans" are hyper focalised on "talking more" to make more money, yet as I just mentioned, there's far more ways for these guys to make more money, and many of these ways are more concrete, guarenteed ways of making money.

Sure, there is nothing wrong with that. But if I go to a steakhouse and happen to talk to the owner and he is a great host and seems like a great person with great food, but his steakhouse still is not doing that well, I might suggest some thing that would help get him some customers if I can figure out where his business model might be lacking a bit, It's not a lot of trouble to me and I like to help people out if I can.

I personally wouldn't see it as my place to do that unless they either asked for my advice, or if I knew for a fact that they needed help and had a sure fire way to help them. Otherwise I feel like my advice would be unsolicited and even insulting. I mean, are we really assuming our oubvious advice is something they haven't thought of themselves? You think these fighters never thought "I should talk more!" ? Are we putting ourselves on such a pedastool to suggest that we know more about maximizing the profits of a fighting career than actual fighters do?

Last edited:
Outside of being examples of how much money can be made in mma if you know how to promote yourself, thus attracting more people and hopefully better athletes to try mma, the more money these guys makes, the more they can not work another job and focus on training and they can spend more on training camps. In theory, the more they make the better fighters they would be and we'd get better fights.

Also, some fans just think these guys should be paid better because they are putting their lives on the line and many have serious physical/mental issues after they're done fighting and can have trouble getting other jobs.
And the more money they make the less they have to keep fighting into their 40s and get even more brain damage. The fight fans who say money is not important are not going to help an old fighter who is broke and has health issues.

That reminds me of one time when I had a customer at one job many years ago that tried to come in and talk about how our store "needed to diversify so we'd have more customers and make more sales". One, that company has no shortage of customers. Two, if a store had every accessory for every model of product X, old ones included, 80% of the sales come from 20% of the items. You'd take up real estate and waste money ordering cases of an item that two people are looking for. Three, go back to smoking your crack thinking you know how to make the big bucks in a business.

Anyway,

These forums have a money fetish. I'm here as a fight fan. I don't want these guys to be broke but I'm not going out of my way to support them making millions of dollars each fight either.

Everybody is an expert in everything now adays and they all know better than everyone else. They don't realize that sometimes giving unwanted advice is actually insulting. Who are we to go into other peoples businesses and make suggestions?

I don't know. Maybe most sherdoggers are PR experts and chief marketing experts so they have some type of secret knowledge that every fighter hasn't thought of.

Are we business and finance advisors or are we mma fans? Both?

If both then we should suggest the fighters get into finances and investing or real estate or many other viable ways to make more money. When does it stop?

For me It's like if I went to a steak house, got a great steak, then said they should really improve their ice cream desserts because it would help them get more customers. That seems silly. I go to a steakhouse for a good steak. If I want ice cream, I'd go to an ice cream place. If I want fights, I watch fights. If I want people selling themselves on a mic, I'd watch wrestling. Etc etc

There's just different types of fans I guess.

i have to say, i'm not worried or trying to give advice but it's clear as day that people saying all he has to do is keep KOing people to get paid are wrong. in this day and age it seems obvious to me you need to be a talker to maximize your chance to get noticed and make more of a profit. but i personally don't care if he does. just like i don't really care about fighter pay either but i argue with the fighter pay guys just because i'm sick of seeing it and how lame their arguments tend to be. like you said, most of the people arguing about it don't know what they're talking about and are just trying to virtue signal and act like they're know something about stuff they know nothing about.

i have to say, i'm not worried or trying to give advice but it's clear as day that people saying all he has to do is keep KOing people to get paid are wrong. in this day and age it seems obvious to me you need to be a talker to maximize your chance to get noticed and make more of a profit. but i personally don't care if he does. just like i don't really care about fighter pay either but i argue with the fighter pay guys just because i'm sick of seeing it and how lame their arguments tend to be. like you said, most of the people arguing about it don't know what they're talking about and are just trying to virtue signal and act like they're know something about stuff they know nothing about.

Yeah, I agree, but talking is just one way for these guys to make more money, and even that's not a guarentee. And it's like, are we so cocky to think that we know this secret technique to fighter's financial success, but the fighters don't?

Anyways, I addressed it in some of my other posts, but if I really wanted these guys to maximize their profit, I'd be suggesting more concrete methods of making money than "speak more", for instance Moose was investing in real estate and made bank throughout his whole MMA career while doing so, GSP had financial advisors, Aldo invested in his own business, Kattar invested in his own business etc etc. These seem like more guarenteed ways of making money than simply "talk more!"

But obviously you're right. Talking more wouldn't hurt their chances.

Yeah, I agree, but even then, talking is just one way for these guys to make more money, and even that's not a guarentee. And it's like, are we so cocky to think that we know this secret technique to fighter's financial success, but the fighters don't?

Anyways, I addressed it in some of my other posts, but if I really wanted these guys to maximize their profit, I'd be suggesting more concrete methods of making money than "speak more", for instance Moose was investing in real estate and made bank throughout his whole MMA career while doing so, GSP had financial advisors, Aldo invested in his own business, Kattar invested in his own business etc etc. These seem like more guarenteed ways of making money than simply "talk more!"

But obviously you're right. Talking more wouldn't hurt their chances.

That said, It's not my place either way to be making any financial advice to people. Which is why I just enjoy the fights.

see i don't think anyone in this thread is thinking about how they could make more money in life, just how they could maximize their profits in MMA. of course it's not a guarantee but neither is keep KOing people either. it's like you said though, the best way to make more money is to probably get out of MMA and do something else.

see i don't think anyone in this thread is thinking about how they could make more money in life, just how they could maximize their profits in MMA. of course it's not a guarantee but neither is keep KOing people either. it's like you said though, the best way to make more money is to probably get out of MMA and do something else.

Yeah, but then the problem to me is that it's unsolicited advice. I mean, sure, fighters can be stupid, but I'm sure even they know that if they talk more it will help their chances. It just seems insulting to suggest that we as sherdoggers have the secret answer to financial success for these fighters, and surely these dumb fighters have never thought of it before!

I don't know. I just find it better to focus on fights, which is what I'm going to go back to doing now <45>

Yeah I feel the same way about Masvidal. Though both are more like gatekeepers to being a champion since they both have been competitive when they challenged for belts, been competitive with the championship contenders they fought, beaten former mma champs but they just couldnt win a belt themselves.
Jorge at least racked up a couple of good KOs over Till and Askren before getting his red panty night.

Nate was 2-3 coming into his red panty night. And none of his loses was even remotely competitive. He was completely dominated by Benson and Dos Anjos and was put out by Thomson.

Jorge is 1 level below championship fighters, Nate is several.

He just got out of a big fight and made his biggest purse. He probably has a broken arm. Be easy on him.

Hill was good in the post-fight press conference. Brought his son. Sometimes when they are interviewed immediately after a fight they are exhausted and a bit beat up. They probably have a lot of thoughts that aren't easy to express right away. No worries. His performance spoke for itself.

Yeah, but then the problem to me is that it's unsolicited advice. I mean, sure, fighters can be stupid, but I'm sure even they know that if they talk more it will help their chances. It just seems insulting to suggest that we as sherdoggers have the secret answer to financial success for these fighters, and surely these dumb fighters have never thought of it before!

I don't know. I just find it better to focus on fights, which is what I'm going to go back to doing now <45>

yeah but you could say that about anything. when we talk about the fights it sounds like unsolicited advice from unqualified people who are literally talking about professionals and what they could've done better at their profession. in that case, we come off sounding even more pretentious.

Jorge at least racked up a couple of good KOs over Till and Askren before getting his red panty night.

Nate was 2-3 coming into his red panty night. And none of his loses was even remotely competitive. He was completely dominated by Benson and Dos Anjos and was put out by Thomson.

Jorge is 1 level below championship fighters, Nate is several.

Nate choked out conor and has beaten pettis and maynard

Till is a hype job and askren was a champ in bellator but didnt do too well in the ufc

mas has dropped pretty much all his fights against champions and former champs

yeah but you could say that about anything. when we talk about the fights it sounds like unsolicited advice from unqualified people who are literally talking about professionals and what they could've done better at their profession. in that case, we come off sounding even more pretentious.

Fight fans talking about fights seems par for the course and logical -- It makes sense to me. As fight fans, that seems to me like the thing we should be discussing. What doesn't make sense to me is the need for us as fight fans to give financial advice, fashion advice, social media advice, marketing advice, (where does it end?), all under the guise of "it will help them make more money."

Like I've been saying. I just don't get this mindset from MMA fans, but it's fine. I'm not attacking fans who care about that stuff. I just personally don't understand what they get out of it.

Last edited:
Fight fans talking about fights seems par for the course and logical -- It makes sense to me. As fight fans, that seems to me like the thing we should be discussing. What doesn't make sense to me is the need for us as fight fans to give financial advice, fashion advice, social media advice, marketing advice, (where does it end?), all under the guise of "it will help them make more money."

Like I've been saying. I just don't get this mindset from MMA fans, but it's fine. I'm not attacking fans who care about that stuff. I just personally don't understand what they get out of it.

no i get what you're saying. i think you're 100% right, i was just playing devil's advocate. i think you're one of the best posters when discussing fights/fighters.

Nate choked out conor and has beaten pettis and maynard

Till is a hype job and askren was a champ in bellator but didnt do too well in the ufc

mas has dropped pretty much all his fights against champions and former champs
Maynard and Pettis were completely shot when Nate fought them. Conor is overrated and can't win a fight to save his life.

Masvidal sucks too.. but he beat the shit out of Nate when they foughts. There is levels to this and Diaz is always going to be the guy who got smashed by Thomson and dominated from bell to bell by guys like Henderson and RDA.

Back