*** Sterling vs. Yan Scoring MEGATHREAD ***

How Did You Score the Fight?

• Total voters
See a lot of people scoring 10 8 for Aljo. Holding a position for a whole round doing nothing with it does not equal a 10 8 round. You don't see people getting 10 8 for staying in guard a whole round. In a 5 round fight and especially 3 round fights, 10 8 rounds is a pretty damn huge impact on a scorecard so they shouldn't be handed out just for holding a position.

You just compared back control to sitting in someone's guard. Your opinion is irrelevent.

Aljamain won. It wasn’t in a super convincing beat down type of way, but he won by the criteria in place. You may not like how he did it, but that’s the way it is.
Rounds 2 and 3 were beat down and control ownership. Yan had no prayer of escaping. Aljimain deserved the decision.

Try to imagine what sterling fans have been living with on here for a year, and you'll understand the gloating, even over an SD. A whole year of aljo being called a clown and an actor and taking the grunt of criticism for Yan's illegal knee. A whole year of people acting like Yan was clearly the better fighter. It's an SD win, but It's still a win against a guy that was supposed to "outclass him everywhere" and was the "real champ".

You personally might not have been hard on sterling, but it's obvious that the majority of people were, so it's obvious why sterling fans are gloating.

I like Yan (as a fighter) and expected him to win the rematch decisively but yeah: as a guy who didn't jump on the Sterling flaming bandwagon, I look at this from a more moderate position and don't feel that any gloating is in order.

I feel like Sterling needs to move on from that trollish gimmick as well (talking about that excuse form he just tweeted). Is it really who he wants to be now?

Your post was so wacked out you think controlling a guys back for 5 minutes equals a 9.5 round.

you’re a complete clown and I can tell you have no BJJ knowledge
I can tell I challenged you to a mma fight and you rejected. I challenged you to bets for $, you rejected. I even offered a ban bet. You rejected. You’re a fucking pussy don’t quote me anymore you fucking scrub.

I like Yan (as a fighter) and expected him to win the rematch decisively but yeah: as a guy who didn't jump on the Sterling flaming bandwagon, I look at this from a more moderate position and don't feel that any gloating is in order.

I feel like Sterling needs to move on from that trollish gimmick as well (talking about that excuse form he just tweeted). Is it really who he wants to be now?

You are in the minority here. It's all good, though. The gloating will subside soon I'm sure.

Reactions: CPH
I was rooting for Aljo because he used to be exciting, while I did have him winning the fight...this was the saddest fucking title victory ever. I really mean it..and ive seen every single UFC title fight in history.

Exploiting the no stand up from back position rule and just latching on for eternity in r2 and 3 to exploiting the no kicking/knee grounded opponents head, kissing the ground stalling r4 and 5 out so Yan couldn't do any effective strikes.

Absolute fucking shit show, but I guess he earned the troll title of "Fight IQ god" between this fight and the first one. He really studied the rulebook hard.

Aljo seems like a good guy honestly, so I can't hate him but yeah: not a hof performance in my book.

Yan 1,4,5

if anything a draw

Sterling just sat behind him and cradled him, zero damage, zero threat.

Yan having Stirling looking terrified and like a fish out of water standing up looked more like a 10-8 then the grapple fucking for dear life, IMO. Also, his octagon control looked more dominant then the pitty patter Aljo landed in the first, not to mention way heavier shots even if fewer. Glad to see Dana looking to do the rematch and agreeing with most of us about the way that fight was judged, Stirling won’t be able to dodge, again....

Aljo actually landed much more strikes than Yan in rd 1, so not sure how that would be the easiest rds to ever score in anyones life
Sterling won the first round. He landed lots of body kicks.

Yan just did very little in the first three rounds and paid for it.

I can tell I challenged you to a mma fight and you rejected. I challenged you to bets for $, you rejected. I even offered a ban bet. You rejected. You’re a fucking pussy don’t quote me anymore you fucking scrub.

Challenged me to a fight. Ahahahaha lmfao. Imagine saying this online. Ahahaha

Sherdog at it's finest.

Me: So, look here, the way I see it, minute and second.
You: Nooooooo, you are soooo wrooooong
Me: OK, please show me.
You: Nope, I'm too lazy.
You're the one with easy access to be able to post it all

Just because you say something doesn't make it true. It's in writing. You're going on ad hominems instead of living in the objective reality of things.
There was no 10-8 round doofus, keep the rest of your ramblings to crying about politics on twitter. You sound like a 52 year old woman from Nebraska.

Last edited:
How does that make it a robbery though? A robbery is where it isn't even a close round. Objectively, you can go to MMA Decisions & see how the fight was scored, most had it for Aljo, a few had draw, almost no one had it for Yan. Yan got outlanded 20-13 but because he was moving forward, therefore it's a robbery? People misuse the term robbery around here, just because they hate Aljo or the guy they're rooting for lost. What did Yan do in rd 1 to demonstrate he was far ahead of Aljo? You could argue Aljo won the rd or that it was a draw, but you'd be hard to make a case for Yan in rd 1

Your argument is Aljo won because volume. He spent that entire round being backed up and those 6 extra shots were blocked or glancing. The argument is there for both in round 1. I gave it to the person trying to actually engage and throw fight ending strikes, not the guy chipping away on his bicycle.

2-3 were for Aljo but only 10-9s because no fight ending offence. Back control with no real offence shouldn't score high in mma, it's less useful than pitter patter from guard to be honest.
4-5 Yan and those two rounds were the most dominant of the entire fight.

I don't think Aljo won anything in round 1, and round 3 especially was lay and pray from the back. That's why I said robbery. He won the title byt holding the back for 6 mins and disengaging for the entire first round after 30 secs of offence.

How did Yan win the first round when Aljo had more sig strikes? By walking him down?

It’s interesting that a lot of talk seems to be about what Sterling didn’t do, not about what Yan did do. He won the last two rounds but never really had Aljo in trouble. One could argue Aljo was much closer to finishing the fight than Yan ever was.
Never had a deep, or seriously threatening choke set in, in almost 8 minutes of back control. Wasn't that close to a finish, but Yan wasn't getting out. One trick pony, and the trick didn't work. He should learn a couple other subs.

Im confused so in your opinion Yan should have gotten it for round 4 where he layed on Sterling or round 5 where he also did very little and round 1 which he arguably lost? That judging makes sense to you but not Sterling winning?

Damage was equal so volume wins.

What about all the other scoring criteria we have in MMA when we have these situations? Aljo landed 19-40 strikes, Yan landed 13 of 29 or something whilst the cage and making Aljo run from him instead of engaging? You want to reward the guy actively avoiding an actual fight, because he threw some strikes with no power? That why we have these other criteria to be counted.

Never had a deep, or seriously threatening choke set in, in almost 8 minutes of back control. Wasn't that close to a finish, but Yan wasn't getting out. One trick pony, and the trick didn't work. He should learn a couple other subs.

And yet was still closer to a finish than Yan ever was.

Back