Steroids in High Level BJJ

Snolla

Brown Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
I have been practicing BJJ for about 10 years now but I've have only recently started following the competitive scene closely. I'm finding that steroids (or at least steroid accusations) are running rampant in the sport.

Is it true that there isn't thorough testing?

This next part is just my opinion but steroid abuse for competition results completely undermines the core philosophy of martial arts which is hard work, dedicated practice, and self-belief. No man should wear a black belt while also filling their body with harmful substances out of fear of not getting the win.

Guys who I assume don't use steroids (Ryan Hall for example) and seem to have a very calm demeanor (Marcelo Garcia as well) are great bastions for the sport but do they compete regularily?

I see a lot of really juicy looking dudes like Gordon Ryan and Lucas Barbosa and if that is the new norm then the pull for young athletes to get into steroids will be at an all time high.

I just can't stand the irony of teaching your students ideas like:

- You learn more from losing than from winning
- Practice and self discipline are what really matters
- You just have to believe in yourself and show up to class
- Technique beats strength

etc....

And then pump yourself up with the juice to remain "competitive" with other "black belts" in high level BJJ. In my opinion, anyone who juices to get a competitive edge is not a black belt in my eyes. The black belt represents mastery over fear and represents dedication to a healthy lifestyle. Steroids directly contradicts this.

Are you a competitive BJJ athlete?

No -> who the fuck cares about what the juice monkeys are doing, stop being a Karen.
Yes -> you're an idiot who will never go anywhere if you don't take steroids.

Look, I don't care if you "winterbike" take your steroids. No need to get so defensive when I was looking for an opinion on steroids in BJJ competition. If you don't juice yourself, then I have no idea where this salt is coming from.

I compete in MMA, naturally, and I know I am at a disadvantage but it doesn't bother me too much. I view it as a test, but I don't like it. I see steroid abuse as weakness of the mind.

Look, I don't care if you "winterbike" take your steroids. No need to get so defensive when I was looking for an opinion on steroids in BJJ competition. If you don't juice yourself, then I have no idea where this salt is coming from.

I compete in MMA, naturally, and I know I am at a disadvantage but it doesn't bother me too much. I view it as a test, but I don't like it. I see steroid abuse as weakness of the mind.

soke-karate.jpg

I have been practicing BJJ for about 10 years now but I've have only recently started following the competitive scene closely. I'm finding that steroids (or at least steroid accusations) are running rampant in the sport.

This next part is just my opinion but steroid abuse for competition results completely undermines the core philosophy of martial arts which is hard work, dedicated practice, and self-belief. No man should wear a black belt while also filling their body with harmful substances out of fear of not getting the win.

Guys who I assume don't use steroids (Ryan Hall for example) and seem to have a very calm demeanor (Marcelo Garcia as well) are great bastions for the sport but do they compete regularily?

I see a lot of really juicy looking dudes like Gordon Ryan and Lucas Barbosa and if that is the new norm then the pull for young athletes to get into steroids will be at an all time high.

etc....

And then pump yourself up with the juice to remain "competitive" with other "black belts" in high level BJJ. In my opinion, anyone who juices to get a competitive edge is not a black belt in my eyes. The black belt represents mastery over fear and represents dedication to a healthy lifestyle. Steroids directly contradicts this.

Yeah, but I think the sport isn’t really big enough for a lot of testing. Bjj is still a niche sport. It is what it is. I mean, I’ve been to academies where at the kids classes, they tell them not to do drugs but they smoke weed at the academy all the time. I’m not against weed and its legal but it is what it is. Bjj is more of a sport than a martial art. Gjj on the other is definitely a martial art.

Most academies I’ve been to don’t really teach you any morals or life lessons. We just train and are encouraged to compete. It’s really more geared towards sport.

Should they test more? It depends on who you ask. It’s hard enough to make money as it is but if it when it does become bigger, maybe it should be like body building. Have a regular decision where you don’t test but you don’t openly talk about taking steroids and have a natural division.

etc....

If they were filling their bodies with harmful substances, they wouldn't be winning.

Not enough money to consistently test = more steroids. I know of top competitors who have thought about using in the past to give them the extra power when competing. I think for some it can literally be the difference between gold and silver, which is financially massive.

Even in my gym a lot of non-competitive guys use, it's just part of the culture in BJJ. It's not for me but each to their own.

Whats your feeling about older guys and TRT? Several older guys I train with that are on it and swear by it not so much as gains but being able to recover better. Thought about it taking myself as an older grappler

Whats your feeling about older guys and TRT? Several older guys I train with that are on it and swear by it not so much as gains but being able to recover better. Thought about it taking myself as an older grappler

It's your decision. Guys who say it's cheating are missing the point that BJJ competition for older guys isn't about being the 'champion,' since there's nothing really at stake, and no testing rules anyways.

If you compete in BJJ, you are going to go up against roided guys all the time. The question is whether you are getting a good competitive experience under a consistent ruleset, not whether it's 'fair.' It's never going to be fair.

TRT is no joke, and I gather that it's hard to get off it once you start. But I also think that a lot of doctors want older men to resign themselves to a sort of lowly and weakening existence as long as it's 'healthy,' until they eventually die under managed medical care. That's not something anyone needs to agree with. You have to make your own decisions.

It's your decision. Guys who say it's cheating are missing the point that BJJ competition for older guys isn't about being the 'champion,' since there's nothing really at stake, and no testing rules anyways.

If you compete in BJJ, you are going to go up against roided guys all the time. The question is whether you are getting a good competitive experience under a consistent ruleset, not whether it's 'fair.' It's never going to be fair.

TRT is no joke, and I gather that it's hard to get off it once you start. But I also think that a lot of doctors want older men to resign themselves to a sort of lowly and weakening existence as long as it's 'healthy,' until they eventually die under managed medical care. That's not something anyone needs to agree with. You have to make your own decisions.

I don't know about that but I've come across quite a few MDs who would aggressively push hormone replacement therapy for insecure guys or guys who felt fine but tested in the lower range of normal. Beware the drug pushers, no matter what form they take.

As I said earlier, I'm not bothered by steroids in BJJ - my opinion seems similar to yours.

I have a question though, a lot of guys in BJJ and general roid users often justify it by saying "I have my blood work done every month" - I know this proves in the short-term they're safe/fine if it comes back good but don't you think they're kind of in denial/not thinking about the longterm effects? I've found it seems a common remark a lot of them make.

As I said earlier, I'm not bothered by steroids in BJJ - my opinion seems similar to yours.

I have a question though, a lot of guys in BJJ and general roid users often justify it by saying "I have my blood work done every month" - I know this proves in the short-term they're safe/fine if it comes back good but don't you think they're kind of in denial/not thinking about the longterm effects? I've found it seems a common remark a lot of them make.

To be fair, if you're going to be geared up it is OVERWHELMINGLY better to be monitored by an MD who knows wtf they're doing.

Doesn't make it totally safe, but it's a lot better than experimenting or copying what x body builder did using drugs purchased from a guy at the gym who goes to Mexico every other weekend and never monitoring your bloodwork.

For example, there are mixed results in terms of data about liver function with testosterone therapy.

There are cases of adverse reaction with increases in liver enzymes suggesting increased hepatic cell death and adverse case reports that had progressed to hepatitis. There is also data suggesting testosterone therapy may be beneficial in some late stage liver disease patients.

Depending on what one is taking, one needs to monitor hormone levels but also various markers of liver and kidney health.

Here's a solid source about risks of TRT

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3897047/

Last edited:

No problem with that whatsoever. I see that more as medication and protection of the body. I don't know much about the downsides of TRT though

That's still the same thing though in a competition context and all the top guys in any sport juiced to the gills are using stuff mostly to be able to train harder for longer and recover quicker.

As a guy competing masters/seniors for 10 years why should they have an unfair advantage over me whether its Worlds or a small local comp through chemical means? If you're not competing grand take what you like. Everyone competing should be on an even footing without chemical help in my opinion whatever age, level, belt or size competition it is.

You can understand those at the top level justifying it to themselves even if you disagree but the further down you go the more difficult it is to see how somebody can make the same arguments with a straight face.

Back