SUMO - 2023 Natsu Basho (May 14th - 28th)

Lots of great sumo the last few days!

I love Tobizaru. You can tell he just loves being out there.

Also, how disappointing was Shodai this Basho? He showed some great Sumo last basho but this one it’s like he’s sleep walking out there.

Takayasu is still injured imo. There is no way Midorifuji of all people should be beating Taco by oshidashi. And today looks like Taco just gave up against Tamawashi.

Hokuseiho losing because he got distracted by his own sagari. You hate to see it.

A while back I had a couple thoughts: one, wouldn't it be cool if the rikishi wore their ceremonial aprons while wrestling? And two, what's the deal with those cords that are always coming off mid-bout? Turns out that they DID wear aprons in the old days but they restricted their movement too much so somehow they settled on wearing sagari instead.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/sumopedia/19/

Triple post, can we all just take a moment to appreciate how Takakeisho has been underpowered this entire basho, yet he still managed to make his kachi-koshi to save his ozeki rank with two days to spare?

the fact that Kiri gave Terunojufi a bit of a sweat tells a lot about how good he is. probably the second or third guy in sumo atm, position contested with Asanoyama.

but Teru getting the Yusho. what a performance of absolute strength this basho has been for him. truly above the rest.

Kiribayama's new privileges starting in July include private parking spot at the sumo arena. He will no longer need to commute by cab or train. And...Shodai has to walk.

Visited Tokyo to watch sumo live. I found kaisei in the merch area. He was working as a cashier handling cash transactions by himself.

The most popular rikishi based on actual reactions from the Tokyo audience clearly was Asanoyama. Then, Ura. It was hard to determine 3rd (tiers). 2 rikishis stood out from the rest in terms of popularity and it is a fact NHK might not have been successfully capturing on their cameras.

Ochiai and Gonoyama (and Atamifuji to be fair) just miles ahead of everyone in Juryo this basho. Hopefully they both win tomorrow so we get the playoff rematch.

Kinbozan's confidence has taken a hit this basho. Had Midorifuji at the edge and was terrified to go near in case he got side-stepped, which happened anyway.

Sick of this "He was airborne so he loses" nonsense. Kotonowaka hit the ground first.

Just shows the difference between everyone else and Terunofuji. Tsurugisho tried his own verison of the double arm lock on Hoshoryu and he got flipped.

Takakeisho out here trying to take Waka bro's head off, but Waka bro is made of stronger stuff.

Kiribayama might be 0-10 vs Terunofuji but he always makes it close. Definitely worthy of Ozeki.

Juryo tomorrow -
Ochiai (13-1) vs Oshoma (7-7)
Gonoyama (13-1) vs Kitanowaka (8-6)

Makuuchi tomorrow -
Daieisho (9-5) vs Waka bro (10-4)
Kiribayama (11-3) vs Hoshoryu (10-4)
Terunofuji (13-1) vs Takakeisho (8-6)

if Hoshoryu wins tomorrow, he'll have 22 wins in two basho. if he gets 11 in july, is he good for ozeki?

I hadn't even thought about that! I don't see Hoshoryu getting another 11 in July though, i love the guy but he has a lot of opponents he trades wins and losses with, and to get 11 again he'd need everything to go his way. I think he'd stay Ozeki if he got there, but getting there will be a struggle.

Hope i'm wrong though.

Terunofuji Yusho with a day to spare. Even at less than 100% the Yokozuna is entirely too much for everybody.

Who is gonna get their first victory over Teru first, Asanoyama or Kiribayama?

More pressingly, which of them is going to claim the jun-yusho tomorrow?

Terunofuji is truly just a cut above the rest holy smokes he just dominated every single match. Meisei gotta be happy to be that solo loss there.

Back