Social Tennessee lawmakers pass bill to allow teachers to be armed

For one thing the layout of the school. My kids have gone to 2 schools here. The first one had a smart design because everything is essentially behind the office. To go deep into the school, you have to go past the office itself. Add a buzzer door right there, or perhaps a keypad door that uses student ID #'s (that expire if the kid isn't in school) adds another layer a tentative shooter would have to get past. Side doors weren't left open. The 2nd school my kids went to had a magnetic gate, and both entry points to the school were next to each other. It's difficult to get in if no one is there, the office has to release the magnet so the gate can be opened. Its iron, and if someone tried to shoot it, it would draw a lot of attention just from the noise. The middle school I went to had those auto-lock doors and entry on one side only. During the day there was only one door left open and all the teachers had walkie talkies.

The HS's I went to were worse designs security-wise. But essentially creating slower entry and less points of entry to stall for time works for lots of places that dont have armed security.

Last edited:
When abortion bans happen they dont all target IVF clinics, but IVF clinics ultimately shut down because they see the landscape of their operation (and ultimately they are targeted). When you pass a bill allowing teachers to be armed, you are suggesting they should be armed.

I'm just trying to bring clarity and honesty to the discussion as I think that's the only way forward.

I think the law has real problems but making teachers victims of the law isn't one of them.

Surely a teacher would never shoot the students. It's a profession with almost no abuse!
If a teacher wanted to go on a school shooting they could have easily done that before this bill. What this bill does do is allow teachers to fight back against school shooters.

Well that's not really his solution—it's the solution. There are hundreds of millions of guns in the country and half the population fosters a culture of gun glorification. This is the problem. I know people like to say it's not, but it is, and it's obvious that it is.

If you have a room full of 100 angry people and there are no guns...what are the odds somebody is going to get shot? Zero.

If you throw 50 guns into that room, what are the odds somebody is going to get shot? A lot higher than zero.

Extrapolate that situation out to this nation of 300 million people, tens of millions of whom have been brought up thinking guns are toys and gun violence is cool. You wind up with absurdly high gun violence rates and mass shootings, and people look at it like it's some cosmic mystery with no perceivable causes or solutions. It's not a mystery. It's simple cause and effect.

But twenty years ago Conservatives loved saying how it's not about the number of guns in the country. Twenty years later they say well there are already so many guns that it's impossible to stop it.

Well whatever. Throw more guns into the mix. Arm the teachers and janitors. Put glocks in glass cases next to the fire axes. Once the Conservative dream is complete and every man, woman, and child is strapped 24/7, then clearly gun violence will be solved.

Retards.
Hahahaha, God damn that's a funny way to word it. Take a room with 100 angry people and throw 100 guns in the room and will it be better or worse? What a realistic scenario.

Hahahaha, God damn that's a funny way to word it. Take a room with 100 angry people and throw 100 guns in the room and will it be better or worse? What a realistic scenario.

My favorite thing about Sherdog is even if you try to reduce something to the most easily understood example, there are people here dumb enough to somehow still not get the point. Here, let me spell it out for you.

No guns? No gun violence.

Some guns? Some gun violence.

Lots of guns? Lots of gun violence.

Compare The US, Canada, UK, and Australia. Four countries with similar cultures (apart from the gun glorification in the US), economies, and demographics, but far different gun ownership rates.

Firearms per Capita

US - 120.5
CA - 34.7
AU - 14.5
UK - 7

Gun Death Rates

US - 4.05 / 100,000
CA - 0.73 / 100,000
AU - 0.08 / 100,000
UK - 0.01 / 100,000

Wow what could the problem be? Impossible to say! Better add more guns to be on the safe side!

<{cruzshake}>

I swear this country has the dumbest fucking people on the planet.

Democrats held a "die in" to protest the bill.

<{MingNope}>

My favorite thing about Sherdog is even if you try to reduce something to the most easily understood example, there are people here dumb enough to somehow still not get the point. Here, let me spell it out for you.

Compare The US, Canada, UK, and Australia. Four countries with similar cultures (apart from the gun glorification in the US), economies, and demographics, but far different gun ownership rates.

Firearms per Capita

US - 120.5
CA - 34.7
AU - 14.5
UK - 7

Gun Death Rates

US - 4.05 / 100,000
CA - 0.73 / 100,000
AU - 0.08 / 100,000
UK - 0.01 / 100,000

Wow what could the problem be? Impossible to say! Better add more guns to be on the safe side!

<{cruzshake}>

US Gun Homicide Rate (s)
Group A: 0.91
Group B: 1.59
Group C: 4.07
Group D: 20.48

<NoneOfMy>

Firearms per Capita

US - 120.5
CA - 34.7
AU - 14.5
UK - 7

Gun Death Rates

US - 4.05 / 100,000
CA - 0.73 / 100,000
AU - 0.08 / 100,000
UK - 0.01 / 100,000

<{cruzshake}>

My Son is beating up my other Son with a stick. I absolutely possess the power to take my Son's stick away.

The obvious solution?

Give my OTHER Son a stick, too. This will surely make my first Son respect the second Son more because of the threat of also getting hit with a stick. Surely he won't instead go out and try to find a better more efficient stick so he can overpower the other Son all over again, or use both sticks.

Obviously the answer to that is to teach him to revere the power of the stick while considering it essential to his identity. My Son has stated that he has a God-given right to possess a stick with which to bludgeon people, because his forefathers determined that the leadership may get too overbearing...they use swords and have armor and horses, BTW.

But we know the real culprit of stick violence. "Mental health"...and my Son might have access to such services had I not consistently voted for people who vote against funding for mental health services.

I like the idea of both. If Teachers want to conceal carry they should have the right to do so and also have retired officers on campus.

I would have to see the training the teachers would be put through. For some, sure, they would be great. Others….

I would have to see the training the teachers would be put through. For some, sure, they would be great. Others….
Any teacher who wants to carry concealed in TN per this bill has to go through a psych eval first and then do an additional 40 hours of training.

My concern would be they would be useless for everything short of a violent altercation. You can't have a teacher with a gun breaking up fist fights between students or it introduces a gun into the situation.

My concern would be they would be useless for everything short of a violent altercation. You can't have a teacher with a gun breaking up fist fights between students or it introduces a gun into the situation.

I don’t see why not. Being armed doesn’t preclude you from stopping a fight

Any teacher who wants to carry concealed in TN per this bill has to go through a psych eval first and then do an additional 40 hours of training.

I would like more than 40 hours. Maybe that just for the range. I want them spending another few weeks learning laws and practicing shoot and no shoot scenarios, working on drills and plans with local pd’s as well as having the cops get comfortable with the school. I was rarely ever in any of the schools when I was a cop, so if there was a call like a bomb hoax, which we have had at the largest high school and we were lost. So the cops need to learn the schools, the teachers need to work drills with the cops-I am thinking 4-6 weeks

I don’t see why not. Being armed doesn’t preclude you from stopping a fight
Strongly disagree with that. You introduce a deadly weapon into a physical altercation and you have scaled it up massively. People that carry concealed guns should never enter altercations unless it's an extremely dangerous situation that requires deadly force. You can't have undertrained people introducing guns into volatile situations obviously.

But just the same shitty poor kids and kids with moron parents deserve to be protected too.it just seemed funny to me that it's good enough for your school but not someone else's
I totally agree. Our school took safety seriously real early and got stuff in place. The city public schools were more interested in political posturing, to the detriment of the kids IMO.

Back