Social Tense Encounter Between Covington HS Kids and Nathan Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

nac386

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Some Catholic school kids wearing MAGA hats attended a pro-life march in Washington. For some reason, they decided mock a guy from the Indigenous Peoples March. He reported that some of the students were shouting "Build the wall" at him, and one kid stood and smirked in his face.

The elderly veteran in the video is Nathan Phillips. He is a Vietnam veteran who holds an annual ceremony honoring Native American veterans at the Arlington National Cemetery. He is also the former director of the Native Youth Alliance. After the incident he said, "I wish they put their energy into making this country really great, helping those that are hungry.”

The Catholic school that these boys attend has released a statement saying that the disrespect and lack of dignity that the students showed is contrary to their teachings, and that they were considering punishments up to expulsion.

Edited with full video:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/19/us/covington-catholic-high-school-nathan-phillips.html

Update Edit:

I think the kids' behavior in this situation is disrespectful and inappropriate. I think there is a basic level of decency and respect you show towards elderly people, and the way these kids behave is lacking in character.

However, as this story hit the mainstream cycle it has become clear that the backlash has far outweighed the actions of the kids. I was expecting this conversation to remain on the topic of divisive political rhetoric and the harmful effect it has, specifically on impressionable young people. But people calling for these kids' names to be released publicly, or calling for them to be assaulted is insane to me. I want to make it clear that I condemn any comments that indicate these kids should be targeted on a personal level. The backlash has been much worse than anything shown in the video.

Last edited:
*edited out because of full video down thread*

Last edited:
Fuck that kid.

Someone should have kicked his ass a long time ago.

Not an endorsement of actual violence.

Edit:
It's too bad that this story went viral before the full facts were know.

To be clear, the kids, I think, were still acting like brats, but there are plenty of extenuating factors.

Last edited:
That's what happens when you think "triggering" people is a worthwhile endeavor.

We have a real problem, nationwide, across the political spectrum, of people who think defining themselves by what they hate is anything but pathetic.

Who am I kidding? Only the right does that......

The obvious question is, where do a bunch of kids wearing MAGA hats get the impression that shouting "Build the wall" at an elderly Native American is part of making American great?

Edit: The "build a wall" chant is from testimony of the old man. It hasn't been shown on video.

Last edited:
Their parents must be very proud of them.

The obvious question is, where do a bunch of kids wearing MAGA hats get the impression that shouting "Build the wall" at an elderly Native American is part of making American great?
They've been taught to be like Christ.

Ah, I only saw the vid w/out any context, and it just looked like some idiot kid being extremely uncomfortable but trying to look tough. If they were harassing people, the school will put it in.

Fuck that kid.

Someone should have kicked his ass a long time ago.
EDIT: I'll let this post stand, although at this point it appears that it was the old guy who deserves the paddlin'. I, like the paddle itself, do not discriminate.

You with me @luckyshot ?

Last edited:
I bet that Native American man wishes his ancestors had built a wall.

Also, that Catholic school might want to rethink its policy of trotting around a bunch of immature, spoiled little brats to spread its ethical message.

Last edited:
Their parents must be very proud of them.

It's not racism, and HOW DARE YOU if you suggest it is!!!!!

"Where's the bike lock guy when you need him?"

I bet that Native American man wishes his ancestors had built a wall.

Sadly, even half a millennium ago a wall could be easily traversed and wouldn't have done shit. Who knew that indigenous tribes from the 1500s had more common sense than Republicans today.

In case anyone was wondering, the song that man is singing is called the AIM Song. It's a "vocable", which means that the sounds are not words. This type of song became common among Natives so that disparate tribes could communicate/sing/pray in places where they were grouped together but unable to communicate due to language barriers. This song in particular is very important. Furthermore, Native drumming serves a specific purpose, certainly in this capacity given what he was singing. It's not music in the typical Western sense (for fun); there are only a couple of drum beats- barring something very tribe specific- and is part of a prayer process.
giphy.gif

Little shithead. Anyhow, far from the best staredown ever.

NaughtyTemptingKatydid-small.gif

Incidentally, probably the most skilled boxing match in history.

Technical Warfare.

Their parents should have taught them some manners instead of this shit. Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back