The 2023 Heavies' Awards: Knockout of the Year - WINNER: EMMETT def. MITCHELL!

Valhoven

Parliament of Will
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Sherdog XOTY 27.png
Sherdog XOTY Cat 2.png

The knockout.

For some, a career-elusive finish to only a select few fights; for others, a signature means of proving they only need connect to introduce you to the Tooth Fairy.

But nothing the world over rings truer for combat sport's passionate fanbase than one simple thing – scratch that, one simple, absolute law: A top-shelf KO is the quickest way to a fan's heart.

So which Knockout of 2023 had you rightly electrified, standing you up from your seat?

(First 5 of 15)

Ismael Bonfim def. Terrance McKinney R2 2:17 via KO (Flying Knee) | UFC 283

Israel Adesanya def. Alex Pereira R2 4:21 via KO (Punches) | UFC 287

Edson Barboza def. Billy Quarantillo R1 2:37 via KO (Knee) | UFC on ESPN 44

Patrick Mix def. Raufeon Stots R1 1:20 via KO (Knee) | Bellator 295

Krysztof Glowacki def. Patryk Tolkaczewski R1 1:33 via KO (Punch) | KSW 83

(Second 5 of 15)

Jesus Santos Aguilar def. Shannon Ross R1 0:17 via KO (Punch) | UFC 290

Robbie Lawler def. Niko Price R1 0:38 via KO (Punches) | UFC 290

Justin Gaethje def. Dustin Poirier R2 1:00 via KO (Head Kick) | UFC 291

Levan Chokheli def. Sabah Homasi R1 1:52 via KO (Head Kick) | Bellator 299

Islam Makhachev def. Alexander Volkanovski R 1 3:06 via KO (Head Kick and Punches) | UFC 294

(Final 5 of 15)

Lorenz Larkin def. Mukhamed Berkhamov - Elbow | Bellator 290

Chihiro Suzuki def. Vugar Karamov - Upkick | RIZIN Landmark 7

Drakkar Klose def. Joe Solecki - Slam | UFC FN: Dariush-Tsarukyan

Chihiro Suzuki def. Patricio Pitbull - Punch | Super RIZIN 2

Sadibou Sy def. Shan Mitchell - Spinning Wheel Kick | PFL 6 (2023)

An impossible pick, IMO. But Aguilar's overhand gave me H-bomb chills. I don't know. Really like Levan's front kick too as well as how masterful the range assessment was from Sadibou on throwing the wheel kick – risky stuff.

So hard to pick

bryce mitchell vs josh emmett definitely deserves a mention due to the sheer brutality and how clean the KO was
1704376996843.png

Even as a huge fan of Alex Pereira and a not so huge fan of Izzy, I am gonna go with that one. To lose to someone 3 times and coming back from adversity in a high stakes fight, respect.

Islam vs Volk was impressive as hell despite Islam being much bigger and the short notice etc. I love Volk and was sad to see him knocked out. No one has knocked out Volkanovski for like a decade too.

Where be Bryce seeing the white light against Emmett?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Last edited:
So many good ones.
My favorites were Bonfim, Gaethje, Chokheli, Larkin et Sy.
Voted for the last one, such beautiful execution.

So many good candidates (even though Emmet's cinderblock should definitely have been included), but from the list I'd have to choose the Polish dude who somehow knocked the stickers out of his opponent while being mounted.

<{Joewithit}>

For pure shock value and what it meant to a fighter's career, coupled with the reaction on the boards, I had to go Adesanya > Pereira. It meant so much to so many here and it happened almost out of nowhere in the moment.

There were prettier KOs this year than emmet. The convulsing though was what made that one so brutal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back