The 2023 Heavies' Awards: Submission of the Year - WINNER: GRASSO DEF. SHEVCHENKO!

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Sherdog XOTY 27.png
Sherdog XOTY Cat 3.png

Aaahhh, the French...submission has always been celebrated for its excellence. There is a California submission by Joe D'Arce, inspired by that same French excellence. It's taught in a Gracie school, and like the best French submissions, it's vintage-dated, so Joe D'Arce's superb...

Which Submission of 2023 set your hair ablaze, shook you down to your very core and had you racing to the nearest BJJ school to learn how to do it?

Abdoul Abdouraguimov def. Rafal Haratyk R5 4:35 via Submission (Kneebar) | Ares FC 11

Jon Jones def. Ciryl Gane R1 2:04 via Submission (Guillotine Choke) |
UFC 285

Alexa Grasso def. Valentina Shevchenko R4 4:34 via Submission (Face Crank) |
UFC 285

Louis Glismann def. Melvin van Suijdam R1 4:57 via Submission (Inverted Omoplata) |
Oktagon 43

Olga Rubin def. Claire Guthrie R2 4:23 via Submission (Buggy Choke) |
Invicta FC 53

I went Jones vs Gane cause

89b594ef9f3ffaf1be535ee0806dba47

giphy.gif

Somehow Jones vs Gane is on here but no Davey Grant vs Raphael Assunçao?
If we had a top 7, that'd be on there along with Joji Goto's two-pack of twisters.

If we had a top 7, that'd be on there along with Joji Goto's two-pack of twisters.
Only the fourth inverted triangle and a last ditch effort to win the bout isn’t on a list with a guy who subbed a kickboxer that quit / can’t wrestle. Es normal.

I started with Grasso-Shevchenko but changed my vote to Abdoul Abdouraguimov def. Rafal Haratyk when I saw how Haratyk was smashing him with elbows before he turned the fight around by rolling for the kneebar

Anyways idk why Grasso's is listed as a face crank, it's an RNC and Shevchenko putting her jaw in the way doesn't change that

Last edited:

Aaahhh, the French...submission has always been celebrated for its excellence. There is a California submission by Joe D'Arce, inspired by that same French excellence. It's taught in a Gracie school, and like the best French submissions, it's vintage-dated, so Joe D'Arce's superb...

Which Submission of 2023 set your hair ablaze, shook you down to your very core and had you racing to the nearest BJJ school to learn how to do it?

Abdoul Abdouraguimov def. Rafal Haratyk R5 4:35 via Submission (Kneebar) | Ares FC 11

Jon Jones def. Ciryl Gane R1 2:04 via Submission (Guillotine Choke) |
UFC 285

Alexa Grasso def. Valentina Shevchenko R4 4:34 via Submission (Face Crank) | UFC 285

Louis Glismann def. Melvin van Suijdam R1 4:57 via Submission (Inverted Omoplata) |
Oktagon 43

Olga Rubin def. Claire Guthrie R2 4:23 via Submission (Buggy Choke) | Invicta FC 53

Wheres Blackmons twister sir?
Those are common now?

Back