International The hundred billion dollar International Space Station maybe coming to an end

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score
The day of the ISS maybe coming to an end the 100 billion dollar space station has problems that maybe unrepairable. This could upend a lot of work NASA was planning ahead of the beginning of a moon base that Trump had targeted by 2025. The issues recently with air recycling an mechanical related could end the ISS. The money could run into the 10's of billions

"
Days after Russian cosmonauts on the International Space Station found new cracks in the Zarya module, a prominent Russian official is warning that the damage is poised to get even worse — and that it may be impossible to restore the module to its former glory.

Vladimir Solovyov, the chief engineer of the Russian space company Energia that developed Russia’s portion of the ISS, recently warned of a cascading effect in which the newfound cracks continue to grow. But, as the BBC reports, Solovyov has now upped the stakes in his warnings about the aging space station."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/futurism.com/russian-space-station-damage-irreparable/amp

MV5BMWEwZmJiMzEtMWVmOC00NzY0LWJiMzItMjgzNzU3NjQ0NGM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzQ4MDczNzQ@._V1_.jpg

Sucks. Hopefully we get back up there and onto other planets sooner rather than later. Our planet isn't going to support us too much longer.(Too much longer being relative, probably a few generations away imo).

So you're telling me the sky isn't falling?

An ISS sized piece of it probably will be. Unless they can find another way to dispose of it. Its not like they can leave it there.
But I suspect dismantling it and shipping it down in pieces is not realistic, and it is not in high enough orbit to go anywhere but back to earth. So I guess a crash, controlled or not, is inevitable sooner or later.

Get Bovis Homes on it, they'll chuck up an estate of new space stations in a few months. Top quality plasterboard ones.

Sucks. Hopefully we get back up there and onto other planets sooner rather than later. Our planet isn't going to support us too much longer.(Too much longer being relative, probably a few generations away imo).

I don't think we can ever degrade the Earth so badly that other planets become realistic options.

Human life on other planets is an insurance policy against cosmic events, nothing more.

I don't think we can ever degrade the Earth so badly that other planets become realistic options.

Human life on other planets is an insurance policy against cosmic events, nothing more.

Humans will live on on earth however much we fck up (WW scale nuclear war as an exception)
Human civilization on the other hand...

Considering that the station was originally designed to last 15 years and it became operational back in 1998, it is not all that unexpected.

The module that has the cracks was the first piece of the ISS.

Humans will live on on earth however much we fck up (WW scale nuclear war as an exception)
Human civilization on the other hand...

If you live on Mars you need to live 5 meters underground to cut radiation levels to that of the surface of earth.

Oh and no air.

Or water.

Or wood.

And bigger solar flares.

And it's a long fucking way away.

Building a concrete bunker in Chernobyl would be a minuscule fraction of the cost.

If you live on Mars you need to live 5 meters underground to cut radiation levels to that of the surface of earth.

Oh and no air.

Or water.

Or wood.

And bigger solar flares.

And it's a long fucking way away.

Building a concrete bunker in Chernobyl would be a minuscule fraction of the cost.

What about morning wood? Does that not count?

Back