The muay thai side kick

GOAT move.

Going to make a concerted effort to incorporate this into my style now that I can finally start training properly.

Saenchai has put many opponents on their asses with this kick

maxresdefault.jpg

GOAT move.

Going to make a concerted effort to incorporate this into my style now that I can finally start training properly.

The good news is its very easy and non-committal, if you've got a decent teep you should already be able to do it

IMO the MT side kick is like a hybrid teep/sidekick. Not a big fan of it due to the vulnerable position you end up in if things don't go as planned.

IMO the MT side kick is like a hybrid teep/sidekick. Not a big fan of it due to the vulnerable position you end up in if things don't go as planned.
I agree that it's a hybrid of those two things, but honestly I've never seen a situation where it has gone wrong. Seems minimal risk to me, or at least not much more of a risk than many other techniques based on what I've seen on a competitive level.

Samart is pretty much spamming them while mixing in his boxing in this fight, even a few slid off the side and he wasn't in bad position. Granted he's Samart, but I don't see this being a problem for others with good fundamentals:

Last edited:
I agree that it's a hybrid of those two things, but honestly I've never seen a situation where it has gone wrong. Seems minimal risk to me, or at least not much more of a risk than many other techniques based on what I've seen on a competitive level.

Samart is pretty much spamming them while mixing in his boxing in this fight, even a few slid off the side and he wasn't in bad position. Granted he's Samart, but I don't see this being a problem for others with good fundamentals:

Agree. It's superior to the front teep in most ways, easier to land, harder to catch, easier to escape if you ARE caught

The side teep is pretty much the greatest low risk high reward technique out there - I'm not sure why people look at guys like Samart and go 'yeah but he's really good', Samart wasn't magic, he picked techniques that were reliable

It can also be used to glide into range and cover more distance than a normal teep. Gonnapar mostly misses here but you can see he covers huge distance, there were a lot of other side teeps that landed in this fight otherwise;

I think its a lot more applicable from a bladed stance. I used square, there's a little more rotation required etc. By poor position I meant sidestance, which is the stance you end up in if you miss the kick. You can see that happening in the video above when gonnapar misses. Either way, i have played around with the kick some and wasn't really a fan of it. Standard teep is less risky for sure. I can throw it but never put any emphasis on training it.

Use it as you would with a fancy or low % move.

Against a lazy or person who start to gass from bad cardio.

Not against a fresh and allert guy

I think its a lot more applicable from a bladed stance. I used square, there's a little more rotation required etc. By poor position I meant sidestance, which is the stance you end up in if you miss the kick. You can see that happening in the video above when gonnapar misses. Either way, i have played around with the kick some and wasn't really a fan of it. Standard teep is less risky for sure. I can throw it but never put any emphasis on training it.
A missed round kick can put you in a beyond bladed stance though. I think you may be overthinking it too much, but obviously stick with what you feel most comfortable with.

A missed round kick can put you in a beyond bladed stance though. I think you may be overthinking it too much, but obviously stick with what you feel most comfortable with.

This, you miss a round kick and you're in a way worse position, and if you have to throw a side teep from a bladed stance then you got bad hip mobilIty, there really isn't a downside to it - it's a mainstay for a reason - hell Sanda uses side teeps and full on side kicks in a sport where they actively throw each other because they're so high percentage

As with most techniques what works for some may not works for others. Side teeps work, side kicks work, spinning elbows work, flying scissor kick takedowns work.

For myself, being in a side stance was not a ideal position to be in, therefore I didnt like or practice the move much. I did practice sidekick enough to throw as last resort so I wouldn't be completly screwed if i got there but was not a position I would intentionally put myself in as it was a vulnerable position for me.

Never said I needed to be in a bladed stance to throw the kick, just that it is easier to do from a bladed stance, as from a square stance it requires more rotation.

Miss a round kick and you can back kick. Miss a and round kick and you can etc etc etc.
Miss a sidekick and flying scissor kick takedown cung lee style!!!
The infinite amount of possibilities in fighting.

Im familiar with the kick. Can I throw it? Yes. Can I use it? Yes. Have I used it in sparring? Yes. Have I used it in a fight? No. It is a technique im not a fan of and prefer not to use. I dont disagree the points made here. But for myself I prefer not to use it because it CAN put you in sidestance which is a poor and vulnerable position to be in....for me anyways.

The only time I would use the kick is playing around or much better than someone as frode mentioned.

Its been fun!

l@nd0

Here's cung le with his scissor kick takedown. Used from sidekick but could just as easily be thrown from a side teep.

Last edited:
Not sure why you're getting so defensive - no ones talking about you apart from Tayski, everyone else is just talking generally - we're always polite to you, and you always get frustrated when someone disagrees with you

Last edited:
Not sure why you're getting so defensive - no ones talking about you apart from Tayski, everyone else is just talking generally - we're always polite to you, and you always get frustrated when someone disagrees with you

My words get twisted around. Because I dont like the kick suddenly I have no clue and poor hip mobility.

the kick puts you in a side stance. side stance is a poor position. This is debatable.

Just wanted to clear up the whole i dont have a clue and poor hip mobility thing.

So I had to be thorough to leave no room for misinterpretation.

Now we all know what my capabilities are regarding the kick and why I dont like it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back