The muay thai side kick

My words get twisted around. Because I dont like the kick suddenly I have no clue and poor hip mobility.

the kick puts you in a side stance. side stance is a poor position. This is debatable.

Just wanted to clear up the whole i dont have a clue and poor hip mobility thing.

So I had to be thorough to leave no room for misinterpretation.

Now we all know what my capabilities are regarding the kick and why I dont like it.

I didn't say you had poor hip mobility or that you had no clue. You're taking a general statement and thinking you're being attacked by me. Fair to be annoyed at Tayski's comment but no one else insulted you.

I'm not particularly worried about your hip mobility :p - but we'll leave it there, I don't want to spiral into an internet argument over a 'misinterpretting'

Last edited:
The side teep is especially useful when you circle and move laterally. As I recall Samart used it in conjunction with his Ali shuffle very effectively.

Back Teep - similar to how a donkey or horse would kick. High risk low reward in a MT fight.

Joe Rogan Explains and Demonstrates a Side Kick after Drinking Wine

I haven't dealt with a Muay Thai side-kick much, but the TKD ones work excellently. One of my teammates used to compete in Korean toe-tag and he adapted it excellently to Kickboxing. He has great balance and can come right back to his stance after the kick, so the only time he is vulnerable is just when he is bringing his leg back. Combine that with a really good hip feint and (as said above) lateral footwork, and it's a headache!

I haven't dealt with a Muay Thai side-kick much, but the TKD ones work excellently. One of my teammates used to compete in Korean toe-tag and he adapted it excellently to Kickboxing. He has great balance and can come right back to his stance after the kick, so the only time he is vulnerable is just when he is bringing his leg back. Combine that with a really good hip feint and (as said above) lateral footwork, and it's a headache!

Everybody knows the TKD side kicks are better. This is probably a troll thread.

Granted it does say rare, but how many high level kickers are there in MMA? Adesanya sure is but not a hole lot.

Low level competition. Should've posted Wonderboy vs Masvidal who is karate not TKD. I did karate/TKD as a kid but I don't think it's very effective. Not more than muay thai. It's rare for a reason

Low level competition. Should've posted Wonderboy vs Masvidal who is karate not TKD. I did karate/TKD as a kid but I don't think it's very effective. Not more than muay thai. It's rare for a reason

We aren't talking about arts, just side kicks here.

Depends on what sport, I suppose. If you take a Muay Thai stance in an MMA fight, you're fucked.

Didn't help in K1 kickboxing. Big TKD champ lost to smaller muay thai fighter

Last edited:
Back