The Powerlifting Thread

405 felt like shit so I knew 435 would be dicey. Am also trying a new unrack where you "row" the weight out instead of pressing it out. Supposedly that's good for keeping the upper back tight.

I think while training without a coach or at least partners present, trying to max out and make a technique change in the same lifting session is probably a bad idea, even with something as simple as an unrack change.

I think while training without a coach or at least partners present, trying to max out and make a technique change in the same lifting session is probably a bad idea, even with something as simple as an unrack change.
Yeah, the face savers saved more than my face today. Although I can roll 400+ down to my lap and sit up with it. About the only advantage the gut gives.

The problem with pulling the bar out of the racks is that it can be jarring if you’re unprepared for the weight. Pressing it out prepares you for the load, but your back can lose tightness.

I pull the bar out, at higher weights I press it slightly and then pull it out.

I dislike benching. Too much to consider.

The problem with pulling the bar out of the racks is that it can be jarring if you’re unprepared for the weight. Pressing it out prepares you for the load, but your back can lose tightness.

I pull the bar out, at higher weights I press it slightly and then pull it out.

I dislike benching. Too much to consider.
I think the press off is good when you dont have a liftoff. The row off is too much of a shock and I actually had a hard time reracking it too because the height of the j hooks is so close to arm length

Blah, failed 435lbs on the bench today. Was gonna do reverse band benches but wanted to see if I could hit a PR. I blame the extra volume on warmups I did. Gonna deload next week and see what happens. Lifts have been feeling like shit lately.

Do you guys ever deload?
Rarely but I dont feel like I'm advanced enough to get a lot out of it

Blah, failed 435lbs on the bench today. Was gonna do reverse band benches but wanted to see if I could hit a PR. I blame the extra volume on warmups I did. Gonna deload next week and see what happens. Lifts have been feeling like shit lately.

Do you guys ever deload?

Usually my only dedicated deload weeks are the week prior to a meet where other than stretching I don’t touch a weight. You do come back feeling really well if you do it.

405 felt like shit so I knew 435 would be dicey. Am also trying a new unrack where you "row" the weight out instead of pressing it out. Supposedly that's good for keeping the upper back tight.

Your best bet is just having a spotter assist you with the lift off so you don’t exert too much or lose your placement. I think you’re like me though and lift solo quite a bit so it is what it is.

Do you guys ever deload?
My "deloads" are typically automatic and sporadic due to my lifestyle. I used to be bothered by sudden spurts of gymlessness, but I've come to accept it and work with them.

Did you guys here about the Arnold convention being cancelled? I know the events will still go on including powerlifting, but that sucks for the spectators and all the guys that planned on lifting in the cage. I've always wanted to go to the Arnold...glad I didn't pick this year.

Did you guys here about the Arnold convention being cancelled? I know the events will still go on including powerlifting, but that sucks for the spectators and all the guys that planned on lifting in the cage. I've always wanted to go to the Arnold...glad I didn't pick this year.
Yeah that's overkill in my opinion but whatever.

Yeah I heard about it
Makes sense honestly

I understand the reaction but somehow I feel like we're creating more panic than necessary. However we don't know everything about this virus so being cautious is a good thing. If anything it will reinforce the common sense approach to living around other humans.

I've been squatting 4-6 times a week for the past maybe 8-9 weeks and i just hit a fucking wall this morning lol

Might deload afterall

I've been squatting 4-6 times a week for the past maybe 8-9 weeks and i just hit a fucking wall this morning lol

Might deload afterall
Damn+that+girl+knows+how+to+get+it+_00c06c96b65d4df7c884d75eb100bacf.jpg

What kind of program are you following? Smolov? 6x a week sounds brutal, but I guess with the right management of weekly tonnage, volume and intensity with good sleep/recovery it's doable.

Last edited:
Damn+that+girl+knows+how+to+get+it+_00c06c96b65d4df7c884d75eb100bacf.jpg

What kind of program are you following? Smolov? 6x a week sounds brutal, but I guess with the right management of weekly tonnage, volume and intensity with good sleep/recovery it's doable.
So it's been actually 11 weeks
I've been running greg knuckols Bulgarian, I did volume first then intensity (he prescribes squatting heavy 3-5 times a week, and light for the remainder of days until you can taper up to 6 times a week comfortably) for about 6 weeks and then just working up to a daily max 4-6 times a week. If your unfamiliar you take your current max and then you work up to 80% of it every day, then go up to 95% or less as tolerated. 80% daily is rough at first but gets very manageable pretty quick.

Its actually not that bad at all. Most things are heavy singles with some back off doubles. Then rinse repeat the next day. I do a lot of beltless/pause work with something around 80-85% on some days just to limit intensity if I feelblike Im getting run down but still want a challenge.

But last few days have been rough. Reached for a PR on tuesday, nailed it ended up skipping wednesday and then the last two days have been rooouuughhh. Gonna take a few days off and regroup and figure out if it's time to actually deload or if it's time to just taper back on volume for some time

So it's been actually 11 weeks
I've been running greg knuckols Bulgarian, I did volume first then intensity (he prescribes squatting heavy 3-5 times a week, and light for the remainder of days until you can taper up to 6 times a week comfortably) for about 6 weeks and then just working up to a daily max 4-6 times a week. If your unfamiliar you take your current max and then you work up to 80% of it every day, then go up to 95% or less as tolerated. 80% daily is rough at first but gets very manageable pretty quick.

Its actually not that bad at all. Most things are heavy singles with some back off doubles. Then rinse repeat the next day. I do a lot of beltless/pause work with something around 80-85% on some days just to limit intensity if I feelblike Im getting run down but still want a challenge.

But last few days have been rough. Reached for a PR on tuesday, nailed it ended up skipping wednesday and then the last two days have been rooouuughhh. Gonna take a few days off and regroup and figure out if it's time to actually deload or if it's time to just taper back on volume for some time
Sounds doable. I may buy his average to savage 2.0 since I'm curious what that entails. After I'm done with my current program I may just do my own thing for 3-4 weeks and then get back on another strength block. I don't mind squatting 4 times per week if the volume is reasonable and I can still pull 2x per week

Sounds doable. I may buy his average to savage 2.0 since I'm curious what that entails. After I'm done with my current program I may just do my own thing for 3-4 weeks and then get back on another strength block. I don't mind squatting 4 times per week if the volume is reasonable and I can still pull 2x per week
its very doable
I have been doing some sort of pull 2x weekly, rotating through trap bar, deficit, and pause though because all of those (except trapbar I guess) limit the weight I can do. I feel like pulling from the floor would fry me.

Reverse band close grip bench press, only done this movement twice and this is 10lbs heavier than last time. Tried 480lbs and failed. This closer grip looks better than with my index fingers on the rings. My arms chicken-wing when they're that wide and my wrists and forearms struggle to stay over the elbow. Dont know what the bands take off but it's probably significant lol.

I haven't gotten the chance to see any of the USAPL results from the Arnold, but I read Seay bombed on bench with 424. Crazy he would open that high, but I guess he really wanted that 800kg total.

Candito did well something like 600/375/700. Angelo pulled 750@183.

Back