The Powerlifting Thread

I haven't gotten the chance to see any of the USAPL results from the Arnold, but I read Seay bombed on bench with 424. Crazy he would open that high, but I guess he really wanted that 800kg total.

Taylor will get it at the end of the month, and he'll take that bench record too.

Taylor will get it at the end of the month, and he'll take that bench record too.
Yeah. He is really consistent especially with bench. On a related bombing note, my first full single-ply meet I bombed on bench opening with 424 in USAPL in the 75kg class. On my third I smoked it but butt came off the bench.... :(

Ashton totalled 1943 @ 203 after losing weight unintentionally, lol. Would love to see him and Cayco battle it out at 205. If king Jesse Norris was still around though that would be a different story.

I haven't gotten the chance to see any of the USAPL results from the Arnold, but I read Seay bombed on bench with 424. Crazy he would open that high, but I guess he really wanted that 800kg total.

I was shocked when I saw him bombing out on bench but actually he opened only 2.5Kg lighter on raw nats. It was probably a bad day for him.

Candito did well something like 600/375/700. Angelo pulled 750@183.

As a long time fan I was very happy with Candito's performance. I was expecting a bit more on squats but he just smoked his thirds on bench and deadlift. His goal for this year is 1700 and it seems like that is well within his reach. His progress over the last year has been pretty great. Unfortunatelly I don't think it's enough to get within the top 5 at raw nationals this year.

Angelo's deadlift was just amazing, it felt like he had more in the tank!!!!

Ashton totalled 1943 @ 203 after losing weight unintentionally, lol. Would love to see him and Cayco battle it out at 205. If king Jesse Norris was still around though that would be a different story.

He was banged up for bench too, that class is his without contest. Not sure why he chooses to compete at 105, he's always under 95, pretty sure he was eating in line at weigh ins at nationals this year.

Alright just some fun hypothetical head to head matchups. Old school vs current top dogs in powerlifting. I know it's different times, but just curious who you think would win

Who you got?

Ed Coan vs Yuri Belkin @ 220 (Wraps, Deadlift Bar)

Coan's best lifts @ 220 were 959, 545, 901 = 2405 total (although single ply, squat was done in likely a old champion squat suit, crappy knee wraps, bench and deadlift were both raw done on a stiff bar)

Belkin's best lifts @ 220 were 917, 518, 915 - 2350 total (raw with wraps on deadlift bar)

Do you think Haack could have beat prime Mike Bridges @ 181? Could the bigger/stronger 200 pound Haack beat Coan when he was briefly a 198er? Any old school guys you think could take out some of the top guys now?

Yeah, that’s a good one.

He brought the heat every training session.

410# on the football bar floor press. I was stapled by 390# about a month ago. And wasnt in the safety rack. It was a horrifying experience.

Max effort lower today. 625# box squat, 10lbs PR. Felt worse than it looks. And judging from bar placement I could get the bar another 3 inches down my back to consider it low bar.

Luckily some of us have home gyms, but for those that do not has your gym closed its doors? I always have my garage gym, but I often train at work. I have a feeling they will shut down the gyms I have access to if they already haven't. I was planning on going to the gym this afernoon, but I honestly don't even know if they closed it yet. Shit is messing up my plans!

Also I hear a lot of meets are being cancelled including Sheffield and Collegiate Nats

Luckily some of us have home gyms, but for those that do not has your gym closed its doors? I always have my garage gym, but I often train at work. I have a feeling they will shut down the gyms I have access to if they already haven't. I was planning on going to the gym this afernoon, but I honestly don't even know if they closed it yet. Shit is messing up my plans!

Also I hear a lot of meets are being cancelled including Sheffield and Collegiate Nats

I'm hoping for the best, but in preparation for the gyms being closed, I've bought myself a kettlebell. If the gyms stay open, I'll just use the fairly light one I've got(35 lbs)for some assistance work, like Swings. If the worst comes to the worst and they close the gyms or I have to self-isolate, I'll buy some heavier KB's and use them as my main training modality.

As of yesterday, the whole city of Montreal is basically on lockdown. No gym access at all for at least 15 days, and then they'll reassess, so could very well be longer. Strongly considering investing $1000 into a basic home gym set up. The shitty thing is that our basement is only 82 inches floor to ceiling, meaning it'll only fit a squat stand, not a full rack, especially once you figure in a platform. Not ideal.

As of yesterday, the whole city of Montreal is basically on lockdown. No gym access at all for at least 15 days, and then they'll reassess, so could very well be longer. Strongly considering investing $1000 into a basic home gym set up. The shitty thing is that our basement is only 82 inches floor to ceiling, meaning it'll only fit a squat stand, not a full rack, especially once you figure in a platform. Not ideal.
Titan X-2 short rack is only 78" tall. I have it and it's a solid rack

Larry also looked like he had a decent amout left on deadlift and bench, was conservative

I think he ripped the calluses on his hands in the 2nd deadlift attempt, that's why he didn't go for a 3rd one.

507/363/705 today. Pr's in squat, deadlift, and total. No national refs at the meet so I went conservative on deads to go 9/9.

Back