The reason behind Khamzat vs. Edwards

Fess

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Guys,
Before the Khamzat vs. Edwards fight was announced, people on Sherdog were speculating why UFC does not make the Khamzat vs. Magny fight, and whether Khamzat ducks Magny, I knew that Khamzat does not, but the reason why the fight hasn't been announced yet, was bothering myself as well.
But after the fight vs. Edwards was announced, I think that I understood the reason.
I'm pretty sure that UFC just wanted to give the title shot to Khamzat as soon as possible, and you cannot give it to someone that beats 9th ranked, so they found a pretty genius idea to pressure Edwards who ranked 3rd, and make him fight Khamzat.
If Khamzat wins I'm pretty sure they'll give him the title shot, but if he'll lose they are not obligated to do the same to Edwards as he'll beat an unranked fighter.

I just cannot think on another reason why not give Magny the fight, and given the new relationship between Dana and his new son, Khamzat it looks more than probable.

What do you think?

It’s not that difficult...

Magny = No name gatekeeper. He’ll do absolutely NOTHING for Khamzats stock. He wouldn’t even bring a handful of views to a free FN card.

Not one person in MMA is worried about Magnys pillow fisted point fighting style.

Sure. Fast track him.

But it's also equally a middle finger to the negotiation tactics of Edwards. Want to negotiate hard? Fine. Take this fight or fuck off.

Which - ironically enough - could work out very well for Edwards (like it worked out well for Belcher when they forced him to fight Palhares).

But fuck all that. Who cares. It's a great fight. I look forward to it. We know matchmaking shenanigans and favoritism exists, and waddyagonnado.

Last edited:
I think they just matched two guys that nobody wanted to fight for some reasons.
Leon because he is boring as f and snooty and khamzat because for a top ten fighter there is nothing to gain in fighting him.

Edwards should be fighting Gilbert Burns for a title shot. Fuckin hell, people use to claim the UFC was so much better than boxing but look what's happening now. Pick and choosing match ups to build up preferred fighters records and gifting title shots to undeserving fighters. What a fucking joke.

Last edited:
I think they just matched two guys that nobody wanted to fight for some reasons.
Leon because he is boring as f and snooty and khamzat because for a top ten fighter there is nothing to gain in fighting him.

I think Leon was told he will have a title shot if he beats Khamzat. I believe that is one of the incentives if he wins this fight.

Edwards should be fighting Gilbert Burns for a title shot. Fuckin hell, people use to claim the UFC was so much better than boxing but look what's happening now. Pick and choosing match ups to build up preferred fighters records and gift title shots to undeserving fighters. What a fucking joke.
If ufc was like boxing, Khamzat would spend 5 years fighting bums

Apparently Magny declined the December 19th date. He was talking but he wasn’t walking, it seems.

It’s not that difficult...

Magny = No name gatekeeper. He’ll do absolutely NOTHING for Khamzats stock. He wouldn’t even bring a handful of views to a free FN card.

Not one person in MMA is worried about Magnys pillow fisted point fighting style.
Edwards isn’t much of a name either or else he would be fighting the top guys like Colby, Mas, or Burns. It has everything to do with getting Chimaev to the belt.

Guys,
Before the Khamzat vs. Edwards fight was announced, people on Sherdog were speculating why UFC does not make the Khamzat vs. Magny fight, and whether Khamzat ducks Magny, I knew that Khamzat does not, but the reason why the fight hasn't been announced yet, was bothering myself as well.
But after the fight vs. Edwards was announced, I think that I understood the reason.
I'm pretty sure that UFC just wanted to give the title shot to Khamzat as soon as possible, and you cannot give it to someone that beats 9th ranked, so they found a pretty genius idea to pressure Edwards who ranked 3rd, and make him fight Khamzat.
If Khamzat wins I'm pretty sure they'll give him the title shot, but if he'll lose they are not obligated to do the same to Edwards as he'll beat an unranked fighter.

I just cannot think on another reason why not give Magny the fight, and given the new relationship between Dana and his new son, Khamzat it looks more than probable.

What do you think?

Because they knew Khabib was going to retire and they need a new bearded star from that region to fill the void.
Now that Khabib is gone, there's big pressure on Chimaev to produce and get the belt.

No one wanted to sign the dotted line vs. Khamzat except Edwards. It's that simple.

I like how “Edwards sucks” “he hasn’t beaten anybody”

But now he is facing Khazmat and it’s “Edwards good everywhere, this is a great fight.”

So if Khazmat wins it’s “he beat a huge name and an amazing fighter!”

But last week Edwards sucked and needed to be cut.

FTR: I am a fan of both guys, sherdog never ceases to amaze me with the opinions of fighters that vary by day.

I can see that leon shoulda ben fighting for the belt instead of burns but both earned title shots and leon is on an 8 streak tear..

Coulda ben burns or leon but leon ducked colby wonderboy ect.. Only wanted the title fight or masvidal..

So they said if u dont fight were taking his ranking..

Leon said wait a minute mofers ill fight this untested unranked hype guy because wb and cov cant get me any ranking and colby is a hard fight...

He picked the easiest most sensible route

Edwards isn’t much of a name either or else he would be fighting the top guys like Colby, Mas, or Burns. It has everything to do with getting Chimaev to the belt.
Well, if that's their primary goal it may very well backfire.

No one wanted to sign the dotted line vs. Khamzat except Edwards. It's that simple.
According to Magny's tweets and Dana, Magny did want. Dana Said it in press conference that it's nobody wants to fight him except Magny, but the are working on the match up right now.

Edwards should be fighting Gilbert Burns for a title shot. Fuckin hell, people use to claim the UFC was so much better than boxing but look what's happening now. Pick and choosing match ups to build up preferred fighters records and gift title shots to undeserving fighters. What a fucking joke.
who is the undeserving fighter?

Apparently Magny declined the December 19th date. He was talking but he wasn’t walking, it seems.
Where is that from?
The last what I've heard (From Dana on press conference at the last fight night, I think) that Magny does want to fight him, and they working right now on it.

And even if he turned down this particular date, they could just arrange it on some other date, and not mess with Edwards rating and so on.
And by the way, before they did all the rating shit, they offered the fight to Edwards which he turned down.

All the reasons for this particular match-up are pure speculation, I'm guessing that Edwards is guaranteed a title shot if he wins.

The fact is that Khamzat vs Edwards is a great fight, a better fight than most expected.

Chimaev will fight for the WW title in 2021. Edwards will become the casualty road kill on the journey

Back