Media The Thais are finaly getting better at MMA

Jiri is basically an honorary Thai with that hair
1315780883.0.jpg

OneFC FTW! More and more fighters from Singapore, Thailand etc will shift to mma

Yodkaikaew is a good fighter, who beat one of ONE's best guys in Wada. But he lost his last fight to Yong Hu who is a solid Chinese prospect.

Frankly, I figured that Swick would've already produced more at AKA Thailand(?) Is that what it's called?

The best muay thai guys in MMA are guys who heavily mix it with another art, like Aldo with his boxing, Anderson with his TKD/boxing, Jones adding all the flashy and spinning shit.

That plodding crap on its own doesn't fit well in MMA, it needs to be heavily adapted.

Last edited:
The best muay thai guys in MMA are guys who heavily mix it with another art, like Aldo with his boxing, Anderson with his TKD/boxing, Jones adding all the flashy and spinning shit.
Good examples....except the last one. Jones incorporates very little Mauy Thai into his striking. He has an unorthodox stance, rarely throws knees (I think putting Shogun away with a final knee imprinted this on people's minds), his elbow attacks were always spinning elbows (illegal in many MT comps), and he prefers sticking to knee attacks (also illegal in many MT comps).

He almost never throws MT combos in the pocket. He reverts straight to Greco Roman wrestling in the clinch, and he likes doing heaps of cocaine, which is too risky to be caught with in Thailand.

Jones incorporates a lot of flashy technique, but it's very unorthodox no matter what discipline you try to label.

Michelle Waterson no longer a point fighter? Well I'll be. Maybe she'll yet get the title of first Mom Champ. (I mean after Nunes or is she the dad?)

Good examples....except the last one. Jones incorporates very little Mauy Thai into his striking. He has an unorthodox stance, rarely throws knees (I think putting Shogun away with a final knee imprinted this on people's minds), his elbow attacks were always spinning elbows (illegal in many MT comps), and he prefers sticking to knee attacks (also illegal in many MT comps).

He almost never throws MT combos in the pocket. He reverts straight to Greco Roman wrestling in the clinch, and he likes doing heaps of cocaine, which is too risky to be caught with in Thailand.

Jones incorporates a lot of flashy technique, but it's very unorthodox no matter what discipline you try to label.

He used to throw a lot of elbows straight down the pipe like the ones that dropped Rashad, and he did knee the gut frequently as well like against DC. Push kicks, lots of clinch striking. It's like I said he has completely adapted his MT and adds a lot of different styles to it in order for it to work so you're confusing it not being MT at all.

The less it looks like traditional MT the better the MMA fighter.

So all fighters that lose a fight are bad? Wtf

No but that fight kind of showed Yodkakaew's ceiling in MMA imo. He doesn't have the grappling to deal with the stronger fighters. Hope he improves but fairtex seems limited in terms of MMA he would need to move to a major MMA gym like Tiger MT and try to transition more not sure if he would. What about that Thai that fought Kai Asakura in Rizin? Topnoi? One should sign him. He got KOd by Yodkakaew in his MMA debut but seems to have improved

He used to throw a lot of elbows straight down the pipe like the ones that dropped Rashad, and he did knee the gut frequently as well like against DC. Push kicks, lots of clinch striking. It's like I said he has completely adapted his MT and adds a lot of different styles to it in order for it to work so you're confusing it not being MT at all.

The less it looks like traditional MT the better the MMA fighter.
Good pickup with the Rashad fight - he used elbows, but again, it was because he was out of range with Rashad but was in range himself because of his ridiculous reach. He was literally grabbing Rashad's gloves and snapping an elbow down the middle - something you can't do in MT.

But more to your initial point, he does have MT elements but they are almost always unorthodox to traditional MT, which is why I didn't think he fit in with the other two examples (Aldo and Silva) that were bang on.

Back