Media The Thais are finaly getting better at MMA

He's a bad example. He was never a top Muaythai fighter and transitioned to MMA pretty late. He burnt out like a decade ago during his muaythai career. That being said its good to see him MMA. I just wanna see a good thai in their prime transition.

Rambaa Somdet was great.

Nowadays I think the thai girls are doing better in MMA than the men. Probably a better career choice when it comes to money. Thinking mostly about both Stamp in One and Loma in UFC.

Also Suwanan Boonsorn. Looked pretty competitive in a fight she should have been absolutely outmatched in against Hamasaki. Definitely can't wait to see more of her and she should only get better considering she's only in her mid 20s

I think the women will do better when they have a weight class more suited for them in the UFC. Thai women aren't big or even muscular. MMA is a better avenue for them because big gambling venues like Lumpinee didn't allow women to step inside the ring until last month.

As for a male MMA fighter from Thailand, I think he needs to be from the middle class and grew up grappling or able to afford it as a teenager. Upper or middle class Thais don't do much Muay Thai. They tend to enroll their kids in TKD or some kind of Kung Fu. My cousins both did something else besides Muay Thai but Muay Thai is taught in gym class at school.

In terms of fighter in their prime; there is no gambling in MMA and they don't fight as often. A guy in his prime might not want to take that route. A superstar earns about 3000 bucks but the gym also has bets to supplement some earning.

Good examples....except the last one. Jones incorporates very little Mauy Thai into his striking. He has an unorthodox stance, rarely throws knees (I think putting Shogun away with a final knee imprinted this on people's minds), his elbow attacks were always spinning elbows (illegal in many MT comps), and he prefers sticking to knee attacks (also illegal in many MT comps).

He almost never throws MT combos in the pocket. He reverts straight to Greco Roman wrestling in the clinch, and he likes doing heaps of cocaine, which is too risky to be caught with in Thailand.

Jones incorporates a lot of flashy technique, but it's very unorthodox no matter what discipline you try to label.

Spinning elbows and knees are illegal moves in Muay Thai?

That's probably the worst authority you could refer to for Muay Thai rules. The IKF have only one title that isn't vacant and to my knowledge, they have never sanctioned a kickfighting event with any significance, much less any elite fighters. They are a completely irrelevant organization in the broader context of the sport.

I live in Thailand and competed in MT a long time ago, I know the rules, I was just curious as to how someone could say that those strikes are illegal moves.

I live in Thailand and competed in MT a long time ago, I know the rules, I was just curious as to how someone could say that those strikes are illegal moves.

By "knee attacks" I guess he means attacks to the knees. To be fair in some amateur organizations spinning elbows and strikes to the knees aren't allowed.

Reading through this thread, you can tell it was originally posted on the main board. Utterly moronic, clueless takes about MT. Spinning elbows and knee strikes aren't allowed? Wow.

That's probably the worst authority you could refer to for Muay Thai rules. The IKF have only one title that isn't vacant and to my knowledge, they have never sanctioned a kickfighting event with any significance, much less any elite fighters. They are a completely irrelevant organization in the broader context of the sport.
I couldn't find any online rule sets for the top MT orgs.

The WMC doesn't detail explicit rules for striking in their online document. One of my training partners from back in the day was a world title holder in the ISKA (her name is Eilleen Forrest). I trained with her a bit and she was the one who told me spinning elbow attacks weren't allowed.

I can't think of any Muay Thai rule sets that ban spinning elbows, unless it's some low level stuff. The stadiums allow them and so do international promotions.

tumblr_pd5srqhtmi1qcnq8z_1280.gif

Not Thai, but what do people think of Rafael Fiziev as a representative of Muay Thai in MMA?

He has a MT record of 29-4 and fights out of Thailand, I believe he's been living there for a while. Has fights against a bunch of Thais in Thailand on his record:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Fiziev

Not Thai, but what do people think of Rafael Fiziev as a representative of Muay Thai in MMA?

He has a MT record of 29-4 and fights out of Thailand, I believe he's been living there for a while. Has fights against a bunch of Thais in Thailand on his record:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Fiziev
Majority of his fights were in Bangla Stadium which is pretty low level, but making it to the finals of the Toyota Marathon is good, losing to Sorgraw twice.

Back