Media The Thais are finaly getting better at MMA

You can see his Muay Thai skills against a good Thai in this video

I couldn't find any online rule sets for the top MT orgs.

The WMC doesn't detail explicit rules for striking in their online document. One of my training partners from back in the day was a world title holder in the ISKA (her name is Eilleen Forrest). I trained with her a bit and she was the one who told me spinning elbow attacks weren't allowed.
You’re getting your list of rules from kickboxing orgs. That should be the first sign they’re not right. No elbows or knees are banned in proper Muay Thai

That's probably the worst authority you could refer to for Muay Thai rules. The IKF have only one title that isn't vacant and to my knowledge, they have never sanctioned a kickfighting event with any significance, much less any elite fighters. They are a completely irrelevant organization in the broader context of the sport.
They are more or less an amateur focused organization.

Also spinning elbows are allowed under IKF full Thai rules.

The best muay thai guys in MMA are guys who heavily mix it with another art, like Aldo with his boxing, Anderson with his TKD/boxing, Jones adding all the flashy and spinning shit.

That plodding crap on its own doesn't fit well in MMA, it needs to be heavily adapted.

This.

Throw a few TKD/non-traditional MT kicks in sparring and MT guys get flustered

This.

Throw a few TKD/non-traditional MT kicks in sparring and MT guys get flustered
Maybe the first few times they come across a kick they've never had to defend against, but pretty easy to adapt to. I sparred with Karate/TKD guys for years, most of them morphed into more traditional kickboxers and kept the fancy shit at a minimum.

Maybe the first few times they come across a kick they've never had to defend against, but pretty easy to adapt to. I sparred with Karate/TKD guys for years, most of them morphed into more traditional kickboxers and kept the fancy shit at a minimum.

The fact that you refer to them as "fancy" is exactly my point, along with "easy to adapt to." As if round house's and teeps aren't "easy" to adapt to? :rolleyes:

Nobody in MMA does traditional MT for a reason.

The fact that you refer to them as "fancy" is exactly my point, along with "easy to adapt to." As if round house's and teeps aren't "easy" to adapt to? :rolleyes:

Nobody in MMA does traditional MT for a reason.
Nobody in MMA does strictly traditional TKD either. What's your point?

All techniques can be viable, but some are higher percentage than others. You can win a fight with a good jab almost entirely.

You are acting like throwing spin kicks can kill a Muay Thai practitioners game, which is completely bogus.

Just watched those Dylan Salvador fights, he looks great. Eating up guys on the feet and finishing them with subs. I could see him finding his way into the UFC.

Nobody in MMA does strictly traditional TKD either. What's your point?

Nobody does strictly anything, that was my point... but MMA boxing > MMA TKD, MT, etc

All techniques can be viable, but some are higher percentage than others. You can win a fight with a good jab almost entirely.

Which art would you go to for a good jab?

You are acting like throwing spin kicks can kill a Muay Thai practitioners game, which is completely bogus.

No...throwing non MT strikes against a MT practitioner gives them fits. Ask me how I know. I'm a MT practitioner with a background in many other arts.

But go ahead and continue to demonstrate how you don't train

No...throwing non MT strikes against a MT practitioner gives them fits. Ask me how I know. I'm a MT practitioner with a background in many other arts.

But go ahead and continue to demonstrate how you don't train
Been there, done that, experienced that. I remember getting cracked in the neck by a spinning hook kick for the first time and axe kicked in the shoulder. I never said those techniques aren't effective and can't throw someone off not accustomed to them. You are acting like they are cryptonite however.

Where do you train at in NorCal?

Been there, done that, experienced that. I remember getting cracked in the neck by a spinning hook kick for the first time and axe kicked in the shoulder. I never said those techniques aren't effective and can't throw someone off not accustomed to them. You are acting like they are cryptonite however.

Where do you train at in NorCal?

My dude.

MT vs. MT is one thing

MT vs. strikers who have MT + other arts = MT is overwhelmed and confused most of the time

not because MT is bad. just because MT is very strict in technique and training. MT marching (what i consider "plodding") is very predictable. give a goju ryu guy 6 months in MT and MT guys are mesmerized at the "looks" they're seeing

I'm not talking about karate point fighters

Go east of the 707 my dude, 209/916, you'll find me

MT vs. strikers who have MT + other arts = MT is overwhelmed and confused most of the time
Weird how you see Thai's dominate guys like this in Kickboxing all of the time, on a professional level. I've never JUST trained MT personally, though.
Go east of the 707 my dude, 209/916, you'll find me
Should I bring all this stuff with me so you can show me how to use it since I've never trained?

20210831-151341.jpg

The primary reason fighters in the UFC do not kick like Superlek or jab like Mayweather is simply because they are not capable. Take a top UFC fighter and chances are their jab or kick will be below an amateur boxer or Muay Thai fighter.

Back