The UFC is overhyping Burns to lowball the likes of Masvidal and other elite WWs

Has Burns done enough to deserve to a title shot?

• Total voters
Burns is the #1 contender right now by default as everyone else with a claim to a title shot at WW is uninterested. Of course, so is the champ apparently...

I hate Kamaru Usman.

Lol he just dominated the former champ, the hype is real.
The former champ who was just previously dominated by the current champ.

Usman, the Current Champ, meanwhile went into a pretty competitive fight with Colby.

Goes to show that Woodley has simply lost it. Colby would have smashed him worse than Burns if they fought.

It's no secret that the WW title picture has been taking time to move ahead, due to plenty of negotiations by the elites in the division. Usman VS Masvidal simply isn't being inked.

Colby has also made some noise about his pay. Nate Diaz has been holding out for big pay fights for a while now. If you consider Conor a WW fighter, then well- he's absolutely not fighting unless he's guaranteed 7 digits.

So, here enters a guy in Burns who seemingly doesn't care about the money, and only wants to get to the top of the mountain.

And that may be a good thing, but do you guys remember when you had to beat multiple top contenders to be a top contender?

Burns did great against Woodley - good, congratulations.

But this is the same Woodley who got utterly dominated by Usman. If Woodley fought closely with the champ, and Burns beat him... I understand the need for excitement.

I don't get why the UFC, especially DC, was trying to get fans excited over the thought of Burns fighting for the title. There are a lot more proven guys in the division at this point. The other commentators pointed it out too, but DC kept pushing Burns towards title talks. It seemed scripted.

Burns has 2 top10 wins... he just got KOd by Dan Hooker less than 2 years ago. This isn't some unstoppable force of nature. Let him gather up some more top 5 wins and then we can say for sure that Gilbert Burns deserves a title shot, right?

That's my opinion. The UFC was just pushing him to the top as negotiating leverage- to lowball the likes of Usman and Masvidal and all.

This is a known tactic used by the UFC. Remember when they sent Khabib a contract for a title shot just to leverage it against McGregor and Alvarez? Khabib's dad admitted that The Eagle got played by the UFC to reduce the price tag of those fighters.

Burns is serving that same purpose right now imo.

Both Masvidal and Burns have proven themselves to be the next title challengers. The UFC are hyping them both, so that they will sell the next title shots - and I think the UFC will give to both.

Now, are the UFC trying to lowball Masvidal (or both of them)?

Judging by the UFC's past actions, the answer is ABSOLUTELY!

What should Masvidal do in that case? I think Masvidal is street smart enough to know how to play cool, so I think he will just wait it out and will eventually gets what he deserves: A nice payday.

It's no secret that the WW title picture has been taking time to move ahead, due to plenty of negotiations by the elites in the division. Usman VS Masvidal simply isn't being inked.

Colby has also made some noise about his pay. Nate Diaz has been holding out for big pay fights for a while now. If you consider Conor a WW fighter, then well- he's absolutely not fighting unless he's guaranteed 7 digits.

So, here enters a guy in Burns who seemingly doesn't care about the money, and only wants to get to the top of the mountain.

And that may be a good thing, but do you guys remember when you had to beat multiple top contenders to be a top contender?

Burns did great against Woodley - good, congratulations.

But this is the same Woodley who got utterly dominated by Usman. If Woodley fought closely with the champ, and Burns beat him... I understand the need for excitement.

I don't get why the UFC, especially DC, was trying to get fans excited over the thought of Burns fighting for the title. There are a lot more proven guys in the division at this point. The other commentators pointed it out too, but DC kept pushing Burns towards title talks. It seemed scripted.

Burns has 2 top10 wins... he just got KOd by Dan Hooker less than 2 years ago. This isn't some unstoppable force of nature. Let him gather up some more top 5 wins and then we can say for sure that Gilbert Burns deserves a title shot, right?

That's my opinion. The UFC was just pushing him to the top as negotiating leverage- to lowball the likes of Usman and Masvidal and all.

This is a known tactic used by the UFC. Remember when they sent Khabib a contract for a title shot just to leverage it against McGregor and Alvarez? Khabib's dad admitted that The Eagle got played by the UFC to reduce the price tag of those fighters.

Burns is serving that same purpose right now imo.

BURNS is million time fcking better than a journeyman in Masvidal. LMFAO.

Are you serious?

Masvidal smashed Till, who was coming off a title shot.

Masvidal smashed Askren, who was undefeated and just beat former champ Robbie Lawler

Masvidal smashed Nate, who just split fights with Conor McGregor and beat Pettis
lol..

Who subbed Askren after he fought Masvidal..? Maia, who has also previously beaten Jorge..

Woodley was literally the first fighter to beat Till, finishing him in the process.

So yes I am serious.. anyone with a ounce of objectivity can see that Woodley and Maia are better quality wins than Diaz, Till or Askren..

Fighting is all about what's hot right now. Burns just cut a great 25 minute promo for himself. Winning more fights won't increase his profile, and risks tanking it. Burns should get the shitle tot post haste!

Masvidal doesn't seem to want a title shot, and Edwards apparently can't fight because of visa issues, so why not? Burns seems to be quite hungry and is probably easier to negotiate.

Seemed weird that DC was implying that he was next in line.

He's very very good. I think he's one more solid win away from challenging for the title. He's almost there. But not there just yet. There's only a couple guys ahead of him. If he wins his next fight against a Top 5 guy, than he should get a shot.

Seemed weird that DC was implying that he was next in line.

He's very very good. I think he's one more solid win away from challenging for the title. He's almost there. But not there just yet. There's only a couple guys ahead of him. If he wins his next fight against a Top 5 guy, than he should get a shot.
Completely agree

Masvidal doesn't seem to want a title shot, and Edwards apparently can't fight because of visa issues, so why not? Burns seems to be quite hungry and is probably easier to negotiate.
That about sums it up. Burns it is. I'll be betting on Burns if I can get some decent plus odds.

That was at 170? It's about as relevant as this

CarefreePeacefulJanenschia-size_restricted.gif

I want Burns and Usman now.

Clearly he's the best contender.

Masvidal is being given a title shot on a golden plate, but he wants to go back to the left overs of an already defeated Nate Diaz. LOL

Colby was finished. Woodley was dominated twice in a row. Edwards can't leave his country. Ponzinibio is MIA. The only hot fighter at 170 is Burns.

Usman vs Burns makes sense. Unless, McGregor wants to fight a real 170 fighter. LOL

Conor gonna twitter. Masvidal just (smart move) wants to maximize his money by way of an easy fight.
Plus prove the retards wrong. You know who you are with your 5th round crap.
Put it this way, if Jorge beats Usman, he gets even more money if he beats Usman against whomever.

Masvidal is a very smart man.

Are you serious?

Masvidal smashed Till, who was coming off a title shot.

Masvidal smashed Askren, who was undefeated and just beat former champ Robbie Lawler

Masvidal smashed Nate, who just split fights with Conor McGregor and beat Pettis

Burns ruined Woodley who was just the champ that smashed Till.

Askren a decent but untested commodity

Nate a guy with 1 win in 3 years and zero credible wins at Welterweight?

Overhyping Burns..?

Masvidal in his last 3 fights has beaten.. Till, Askren, Diaz.

Burns has beaten Nelson, Maia, Woodley..

You could easily argue that Burns has the better streak..?
Nelson is a bum, Maia is way too old and we’ve found out that Woodley is too. Till just beat Gastelum who nearly beat the MW champ, Askren was a dud that had potential and Diaz can always bang

Back