Thoughts on Dricus vs. Canonier

Private Whatley

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I don’t hear anyone discussing this matchup, but it makes all the sense in the world. Provided that Izzy still wants time off and they don’t want to do an immediate Strickland rematch, it’s really a no brainer. Both guys controversially decisioned Sean, beat Brunson in similar fashion, and possess similar attributes. Dricus is more reckless and aggressive, and Jared probably packs a bit more one shot power.

Canonier isn’t a big personality, doesn’t talk trash and is getting up there in age so it’s not the sexiest fight from a marketing standpoint. Nonetheless, it’s an intriguing matchup on paper and it makes perfect sense in terms of the rankings. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I think you meant "Thoughts On Dricus vs Conor-nier?"
We know its coming, if DDP can hold on to the seat.

e93c1152-e990-4387-a394-07b103ffb232_text.gif

I would think in the UFC of old when there was smarter match making they would put Izzy vs Sean as a rematch so one of them can have a title shot coming off a win. Izzy fighting DDP or Alex at LHW for a title coming off a loss is heading down the McGregor path IMO.

DDP defends against Cannonier to earn that fight at home in S. Africa. Whether Izzy or Sean win he has a good fight for his hometown.

If the UFC was a meritocracy that's the fight to make.

And on paper it's a great match-up; two incredibly powerful brawlers, one with more technique and power (Cannonier) the other with more pressure and volume (DDP).

But yeah we probably never seeing that fight unless DDP loses the title.

In my estimation, Cannonier is one fight away from reasonably asking for a title shot. Given his age, it seems to me he shouldn't waste any time sitting on the sideline. I've been calling for Cannonier-Khamzat for a long time - it makes perfect sense for both fighters. Winner gets a title shot.

Jared has won me over again after that lame performance against Izzy. Dude has been putting in the work.

He seems down to fight Khamzat which would be a fantastic fight. The winner of that fight should get DDP, either fight would be great.

In my estimation, Cannonier is one fight away from reasonably asking for a title shot. Given his age, it seems to me he shouldn't waste any time sitting on the sideline. I've been calling for Cannonier-Khamzat for a long time - it makes perfect sense for both fighters. Winner gets a title shot.
Khamzat doesn't seem to want that fight.

I would think in the UFC of old when there was smarter match making they would put Izzy vs Sean as a rematch so one of them can have a title shot coming off a win. Izzy fighting DDP or Alex at LHW for a title coming off a loss is heading down the McGregor path IMO.

DDP defends against Cannonier to earn that fight at home in S. Africa. Whether Izzy or Sean win he has a good fight for his hometown.
I think it’s actually the perfect title match for the South Africa card. Regardless of his opponent, Dricus will sell the building out and the UFC can air the card during the daytime in the States as they’ve done with UK cards in the past and still do with Asian and UAE cards. An Izzy fight or a Strickland rematch could headline a Vegas PPV.

Considering Vettori was able to crack Cannonier I'd give a slight edge to DDP due to durability but I think it would be a high level chess match like Strickland/DDP but both men possess the power to end the fight at any moment and have shown skills to counter each others strengths.

Cannonier deserves the shot but the UFC has been extremely picky about who gets title shots and sadly I don't think Cannonier gets one without another win despite showing the skills to possible win the belt.

Back