Thoughts on my routine. Need honest criticism.

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
So I do a push/pull thing at home with the barbell. Not super serious about it. I switched from calisthetics as I explained in this thread.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/no-racks-should-i-skip-barbell-squats.4130269/

I do a mixture of low reps heavy weight and low weight heavy volume.

Day 1
Deadlift
Clean deadlift
Romanian deadlift
Clean pull
Bent over row from floor
Power Clean
Hang clean
Reverse curls
Forearm pushups.
Burpees.

I do the reverse curls just Because

Day 2
Bench press
Zercher squats
Bodyweight squats.
Front/back squats
Fist and diamond Pushups
Overhead/military press.
Curls.

I feel good doing: deadlift and variations, bent over rows (from floor) and bench.

I struggle with: squats, powercleans, and clean pulls. Overhead press. With the overhead press being especially difficult for me.

I'm just looking for some feedback if I should add anything or take out anything. I try and workout every other day.

I would cut your workouts in half and create a 4 day upper/lower split. Less exercises per workout but more volume and intensity for each exercise. Unless you like what you're doing and getting the results you want. In that case, carry on.

I would cut your workouts in half and create a 4 day upper/lower split. Less exercises per workout but more volume and intensity for each exercise. Unless you like what you're doing and getting the results you want. In that case, carry on.

It has crossed my mind to focus more on volume and split my routines so I might try it out soon. I get bored easily so I'm sure I'll need to adjust my routine soon.

It has crossed my mind to focus more on volume and split my routines so I might try it out soon. I get bored easily so I'm sure I'll need to adjust my routine soon.

Sounds like you might have caught a case of "Fuck-around-itis". That's an easy way to kill your progress if you're constantly switching up exercises and your workouts are devoid of structure. Then again if your routine is simply set up to provide you with entertainment then you could literally do whatever you want, just don't expect significant changes to your performance or physique.

Seems like a lot if you are doing warm up sets and 3-4 working sets

I don't understand why you're doing burpees, bodyweight squats, or multiple variations of push ups. I would think just doing more sets of squats/floor press at whatever weight you could manage would be better. Are burpees for cardio?

Do you need curls? Are your biceps limiting you right now?
Edit: Actually, training curls might make sense right now if you are forced to train pressing and squatting at lighter weights due to a lack of equipment. Putting some meat on your arms could help for when you can train for real later.

I think deadlifts, RDLS, rows, and multiple clean variations is a bit much for one work out. What's your rep range for your deadlift? If you are doing heavy sets of five, I don't see how you can fit all other work in.

Last edited:
I don't understand why you're doing burpees, bodyweight squats, or multiple variations of push ups. I would think just doing more sets of squats/floor press at whatever weight you could manage would be better. Are burpees for cardio?

Do you need curls? Are your biceps limiting you right now?
Edit: Actually, training curls might make sense right now if you are forced to train pressing and squatting at lighter weights due to a lack of equipment. Putting some meat on your arms could help for when you can train for real later.

I think deadlifts, RDLS, rows, and multiple clean variations is a bit much for one work out. What's your rep range for your deadlift? If you are doing heavy sets of five, I don't see how you can fit all other work in.

Pure deadlift, powerclean, bent over row, clean pull, zercher squat, bench press, are my focuses. So those I try to do as heavy as I can. But admittedly my zerchers and clean pulls I do slightly lighter with a little more volume because they are weak points.

I'll do rdl and clean deadlifts and hang cleans as drop sets with higher volume with maybe 1 set each after my deadlifts and powercleans.

So for example after I do 3 sets of heavy deadlifts, I'll do a light set of 6 to 12 clean deadlifts and then the same with the rdl. Same with hang clean after powerclean. And the same with back or front squats after my zerchers.

So basically on pull day it's

3 sets of deadlifts/1 set each of rdl and clean dl
3 sets of bent over rows
3 sets of clean pulls
3 sets of Power cleans
1 or 2 light sets of hang cleans
3 quick sets of reverse curls
And then I'll try and bust out some burpees until I'm done.

Pushups, bodyweight squats, burpees I'll do in between sets of stuff or after the barbell stuff just to get some endurance in. They aren't my focus I just like doing them.

Curls and reverse curls I do as bro stuff because I just wanted my arms to grow.

Id bench before OHP. OHP is basically a bench accessory tbh

It'd be like lunging before squatting. Makes no sense.
Depends on what your priority is I suppose
I find benching beforehand messes up my overhead performance
but overhead pressing first does not mess up my bench performance

Back