Thoughts on my routine. Need honest criticism.

Depends on what your priority is I suppose
I find benching beforehand messes up my overhead performance
but overhead pressing first does not mess up my bench performance
True. Like today I did incline bench max effort worked up to 365 and then did seated OHP 225lbs for 3 sets of 8 as an accessory. I guess how id flip that would be max effort ohp and close grip bench 3x8 or something.

It'd be like lunging before squatting. Makes no sense.

Sure it does, in some cases. Why do you make such dumb blanket statements like this?

Squats feel awesome after lunges. Your hips are nice and loosened up and your glutes and hamstrings are firing and ready to go. That makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:
Sure it does, in some cases. Why do you make such dumb blanket statements like this?

Squats feel awesome after lunges. Your hips are nice and loosened up and your glutes and hamstrings are firing and ready to go. That makes a lot of sense.
I'm speaking from a squat performance standpoint. Sure you can lunge to warm up for squats. But are you saying if you pushed lunges to a 5rm you'd be able to squat maximal weights after? I guess for hypertrophy and general training purposes it wouldn't matter all that much as long as work is being done.

But are you saying if you pushed lunges to a 5rm you'd be able to squat maximal weights after?
Why would you immediately jump to this arbitrary hypothetical? No, of course I’m not saying that. I don’t think anyone would.

Why would you immediately jump to this arbitrary hypothetical? No, of course I’m not saying that. I don’t think anyone would.
I have an incredibly dogmatic view of training. People can train however they want. I just wouldn't put anything ahead of the big 3 that isn't part of a warm up because I want to perform my best on the squat bench and deadlift. Lunges beforehand can provide a great warmup or if you're looking to build unilateral strength, make them your heavy work and squat as an accessory.

I have an incredibly dogmatic view of training. People can train however they want. I just wouldn't put anything ahead of the big 3 that isn't part of a warm up because I want to perform my best on the squat bench and deadlift. Lunges beforehand can provide a great warmup or if you're looking to build unilateral strength, make them your heavy work and squat as an accessory.

tenor.gif

Having a conversation with you is rough, dawg.

tenor.gif

Having a conversation with you is rough, dawg.
What. You asked why I'd jump to a hypothetical and I answered. Also provided examples of where I'd agree with you. Either way who gives a shit.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if Push/Pull is ideal for you. At least, not the way you have it programmed. On day one alone, you have three clean and three deadlift variations. Then on day two, you are doing Zercher’s, and front squats. How many different hip/knee extension movements do you need? Are you doing these on consecutive days? If so, why?

So I do a push/pull thing at home with the barbell. Not super serious about it. I switched from calisthetics as I explained in this thread.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/no-racks-should-i-skip-barbell-squats.4130269/

I do a mixture of low reps heavy weight and low weight heavy volume.

Day 1
Deadlift
Clean deadlift
Romanian deadlift
Clean pull
Bent over row from floor
Power Clean
Hang clean
Reverse curls
Forearm pushups.
Burpees.

I do the reverse curls just Because

Day 2
Bench press
Zercher squats
Bodyweight squats.
Front/back squats
Fist and diamond Pushups
Overhead/military press.
Curls.

I feel good doing: deadlift and variations, bent over rows (from floor) and bench.

I struggle with: squats, powercleans, and clean pulls. Overhead press. With the overhead press being especially difficult for me.

I'm just looking for some feedback if I should add anything or take out anything. I try and workout every other day.

That Dwight av is legit.

I’m not sure if Push/Pull is ideal for you. At least, not the way you have it programmed. On day one alone, you have three clean and three deadlift variations. Then on day two, you are doing Zercher’s, and front squats. How many different hip/knee extension movements do you need? Are you doing these on consecutive days? If so, why?

Every other day. I only have a barbell

If it were me, I'd consider going full-body, and have an "A" and "B" workout. In any case, I would think 6 variations of dreads/cleans in one workout would be superfluous(unless perhaps you're a competitive Oly lifter or something).

When I first started I was doing the big 5 lifts and broke them into day 1 bench squat and ohp and day 2 deadlift, rows and powercleans. I added the other stuff as I went on because I didn't feel like I was doing enough.

When I first started I was doing the big 5 lifts and broke them into day 1 bench squat and ohp and day 2 deadlift, rows and powercleans. I added the other stuff as I went on because I didn't feel like I was doing enough.

More isn't always more though. If you felt like you needed a bigger variety of movements and volume then maybe the intensity of your deadlifts/powercleans is lacking. You even said you weren't warming up on any of your exercises. No way are you slapping a heavy triple on the barbell and pulling that shit cold for multiple sets without getting injured or seriously limiting your progress. Pick the movements that are most important to you, warm up/ramp up the weight over a few sets, and then really focus on performing difficult, but quality reps. You won't need all of that extra shit you've been doing if your actual working sets have enough intensity. Being bored does suck....but what sucks worse is making barely any progress while wasting time and effort on a million different little things.

I also only have a barbell... well, almost.
I have paralettes too. I actually also have a pull up bar but haven't mounted it.

Day 1: Push ups. Barbell curls. Dips. Plate curls. Weighted vest (oh yeah, I have one of those too) push ups. Band curls. Light cardio.
Day 2: Run and shadow box
Day 3: Military press/shoulder press. Front Squats. Good warm ups and sets to failure. Then bodyweight lunges (maybe a plate too).
Day 4: Bas Rutten all round workout CD (if you know, you know) Cardio
Day 5: Deadlifts. Rows. Shrugs. Possibly clean and press depending on sets.
Day 6&7, very light cardio.

I also do bodyweight and stair calf raises and with weighted vest.
I hit every body part and then some with all of that.
The cardio days will be boxing, by the time lockdown passes.

That's me. Right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back