Media Tom Aspinall to Chael: "I Won't Sell Myself Out and Act Like a Clown"

Chael can tell you the sky is green,and you just gotta admire how convincing he is. He could sell you a broom no doubt.

Didnt Chael reffered to Tom Aspinall talking uninteresting crap not exactly that he wasnt talking at all? Probably need to rewatch and pay attention this time.
It's an argument, but did Fedor ever talk?

Sometimes, IF YOUR GOOD ENOUGH, your skills alone can sell.
Different times, did Fedor sold 1 million PPV's? Looks like for the last few years casuals are not into the skills that much, sure if you win in exciting fashion (like Fedor used to fight) that sells itself, but today looks like they need to do more, better on the mic.

Chael is so punchable. "Sell your mother for fame and prostitute yourself for views in the name of entertainment.

Chael has no dignity whatsoever.
Chael just doesnt see it the same way. He likes messing with people. I dont have a problem with how he portrays himself to the public. Its just that not everyone can do that. Dan Henderson or Amanda Nunes are never gonna be like that no matter how much money you pay them,its not in them.

Tom may feel that its not in him either,and doesnt like that people suggest he should act different. Good for him.

Currently my favorite HW in the UFC hope he becomes champ and im glad he's not listening to Chael.

I know a lot of you find this kind of mentality admirable, but I just find it stupid. If you are going to go out there and get your brain scrambled, the least you can do is market yourself a bit so you can at least retire with a few dollars in your pocket.

Agree. To each his own but there’s nothing particularly noble about it. I enjoy MMA (obviously) but it’s just a fist fight. They aren’t building things, or healing people, or growing food. Their entire life’s work is getting better at something that serves no purpose other than being entertaining. If you choose not to enhance the entertainment value of your product in this particular way, that’s fine. But it doesn’t make you better than the guys who do.

Yeah because shooting up the Heavyweight rankings with a 100% early finish rate, playing up his connections to Fury, and headlining a card in his country where the people went crazy for him just reeks of stale boredom.

UFC wants to sell as many PPVs as possible. That is what their top stars do. It is not a hard concept to understand. I never said he can't be popular, I am saying he is capping himself.

I’m one of the greatest heavyweights to walk on this [Earth]

That's a bit depressing but at least he's not Lewis or Tuivasa

Fedor said he represent russia.
Khabib had strong father who played huge part in his life and decisions.
When Machida show respect to his opponent, is it him as Lyoto or martial artist?
It doesnt really matter. In the end you cannot drill open their head and know their inner thoughts. Same with anyone else.

Different times, did Fedor sold 1 million PPV's? Looks like for the last few years casuals are not into the skills that much, sure if you win in exciting fashion (like Fedor used to fight) that sells itself, but today looks like they need to do more, better on the mic.

Khabib seems to have captured the imaginations of MMA fans, and to be brutally honest, he's pretty boring in and out of the cage.

GSP, too.

Trash talk is a seriously overrated way of trying to catch fire with the fans - it works for a select few, and it should stay that way IMO.

Like several posters have said, there is NOTHING worse than a fake personality/trash talker.

UFC wants to sell as many PPVs as possible. That is what their top stars do. It is not a hard concept to understand. I never said he can't be popular, I am saying he is capping himself.

Except I'm arguing not only has it been proven that stars can be made by letting their skills and the like do the talking, but that it could be potentially counter-productive for someone who has neither the talent nor the inclination for trash-talk to try and force it.

Chael never said he should sellout, he said he should be entertaining

It's an argument, but did Fedor ever talk?

Sometimes, IF YOUR GOOD ENOUGH, your skills alone can sell.

Key word here is *sometimes*. Also, Fedor wasn’t “just” a really good fighter. He had a persona — the silent, stoic, mysterious Russian who went from 0 to 60 when the bell rang and right back to 0 as soon as he mercilessly dispatched his opponent.

Having an interesting persona doesn’t (have to) mean being “fake.” It works best when it’s just an extension of the real personality.

Masvidal plays up his Cuban immigrant street fighter background. Chael riffs off being a privileged suburban kid. Lesnar played up being a monster bully/heel.

Even guys who aren’t big stars can do it. Tuivasa is the happy-go-lucky big guy who comes out to the Spice Girls and drinks shoeys. Raging Al is the disgruntled Long Island bro. Cerrone put on a cowboy hat and opened a Budweiser.

A simple question a fighter could consider asking himself is — is it obvious how Vince McMahon would use me? If it is, great, play to your strengths. If it isn’t, you’ve got think about whether you want to invent something like Colby did or just stick with fighting well and hope it works out.

Except I'm arguing not only has it been proven that stars can be made by letting their skills and the like do the talking, but that it could be potentially counter-productive for someone who has neither the talent nor the inclination for trash-talk to try and force it.

It’s a fair question. Could Randy Couture have sold less PPV if he’d tried to be a pro wrestling heel and screwed it up? Possibly. Would Anderson Silva, Demetrius Johnson, Volkanovski, or other great fighters who are a tad vanilla have lost anything? I’m not so sure.

While I would NOT want to see dozens of fighters try to be Conor McGregor or Chael Sonnen as an outside observer, were I advising a fighter I think I would have a hard time making the case that giving it a shot could backfire in a manner that had materially adverse financial consequences.

Tom Aspinall has very quickly become one of my favorite fighters.

Reactions: HHJ
That s interesting. I think shale is onto bigger things. His YT channel is one of many tools to be a voice in the combat sport entertainment community.
Thing is, he is such a shill that his channel can only be means to obtain bigger things, like his commentator gig, or having the UFC agree to have fighters grapple in his promotion, etc.

Imagine Shale with his wit and following NOT being a shill and rather a genuine smart ass? He would be much more popular than now, but he would lose all his corporate perks.

I think it is clear that his shilling is paid by undisclosed promotion agreements between him and the UFC / Espn / etc., and/or that it is part of his existing contractual framework.

Shale is a very smart man and is not shilling for free.

Chael is a very smart man and in my view the greatest communicator in the history of combat sports. Unfortunately like many extraordinary individuals his deficiencies can overshadow his exceptional abilities.

The "self-confidence" that allowed Chael to build his legacy in the sport on the mic enabled him as a real estate agent to defraud his clients and become a convicted felon.

The only thing you can be sure of with Chael is that he will always make the wrong decision.

Key word here is *sometimes*. Also, Fedor wasn’t “just” a really good fighter. He had a persona — the silent, stoic, mysterious Russian who went from 0 to 60 when the bell rang and right back to 0 as soon as he mercilessly dispatched his opponent.

Having an interesting persona doesn’t (have to) mean being “fake.” It works best when it’s just an extension of the real personality.

Masvidal plays up his Cuban immigrant street fighter background. Chael riffs off being a privileged suburban kid. Lesnar played up being a monster bully/heel.

Even guys who aren’t big stars can do it. Tuivasa is the happy-go-lucky big guy who comes out to the Spice Girls and drinks shoeys. Raging Al is the disgruntled Long Island bro. Cerrone put on a cowboy hat and opened a Budweiser.

A simple question a fighter could consider asking himself is — is it obvious how Vince McMahon would use me? If it is, great, play to your strengths. If it isn’t, you’ve got think about whether you want to invent something like Colby did or just stick with fighting well and hope it works out.

Being in the UK, I have zero doubts Aspinall is on the path to superstardom.

I get that Chael found a formula, but it's simply incorrect that he's found the correct formula for anyone but him.

It's about time we had a down-to-Earth gentle giant to counterbalance all the inane bullshit everyone else comes out with.

So, what about a Dudley Do-Right, or humble superman, or gets-the job-done laconic warrior (especially as he's a Brit) persona? No personality type is appealing to everyone.

Back