Tom Deblass being humble - DO NOT LET THIS S--- GO

Oh internet, you crazy

This stuff is new for everyone. He specifically said he was trying to follow CDC guidelines of 10 or less- its not like his gym was open to the public. He also claimed they took their temp pre-training I think to take extra precaution.

We see quite a few guys doing training in pairs with no mention, Rafa Mendes is doing one today with one of his top students. Is this OK? I genuinely don't know at this point.
What is wrong with these guys that they feel like they can do whatever they want?
If Rafa fall sick,. They should not treat him.

Well, that's true. On the subject of the value of his instructional material, he may also have absorbed and learned things from Ryan, Tonnon, etc. And perhaps he shares some of that. But the fact that they are continuing to train with him does recommend him on some level.

Tom is smart as an instructor.
Lot of instructor refuses students to do cross training etc....
My friend went to Tom de blass gym and he was surprised that it was a gym that date for hobbiests. He expected a mini version of the blue basement.
Bare in mind that my friend is new to bjj.

Regarding the topic that s student should have the same style as the instructor.
It is a bit confusing.

For example, Gordon swears that all the DDS have adopted Danaher style and that is what make Danaher a great coach.

Gordon would also add that most of the students under Galvao don't have his style. Therefore Galvao is not a great coach but a good recruiter as he attracts students with potential from other clubs.

No matter how you feel about the guy, this is sad news. RIP

Regarding the topic that s student should have the same style as the instructor.
It is a bit confusing.

For example, Gordon swears that all the DDS have adopted Danaher style and that is what make Danaher a great coach.

Gordon would also add that most of the students under Galvao don't have his style. Therefore Galvao is not a great coach but a good recruiter as he attracts students with potential from other clubs.
He ain't wrong. ATOS stands for = All The Other TeamS

John Danaher is the GOAT Jiu-Jitsu coach. Everyone knows that. Gordon Ryan is the nogi GOAT king. Facts!

My issue with Deblass' rhetoric is that he takes it to a point where dude is actually threatening. That endangers everyone.

He ain't wrong. ATOS stands for = All The Other TeamS

John Danaher is the GOAT Jiu-Jitsu coach. Everyone knows that. Gordon Ryan is the nogi GOAT king. Facts!

Gordon Ryan is the NoGi Goat?

What does it mean when you say, "modern BJJ is hardly the most macho thing going"? I mean, to me the obvious implication is that BJJ is soft, wimpy, whatever. There's a lot I don't like about modern grappling, in fact, I probably have more complaints about the way it is conducted than you do. But when you saying that, you're basically insulting the whole sport and honestly, those of us who dedicated a good part of our lives to it. I mean, you're probably one of those guys yourself, given that you're on this board in the first place.

Ryan, Deblass and company bug me too. No need to rip BJJ or grappling as a whole as soft or whatever just because they are smug. I personally feel like modern grappling often has a format that allows certain approaches to be more dominant that they might otherwise be, but implying that the sport and art as a whole is soft is really an insult to all the blood, sweat and tears that goes into even just being decent at it. Not to mention we all hear enough of that stuff from people outside the grappling world, man.
With all due respect, I know your a good grappler from your posts on here, you are being way too sensitive about this haha relax

Bjj tough guys are annoying. Don’t get my wrong they are very tough guys, but modern bjj isn’t exactly the most macho thing going. Also, little shitheads like this is why genuinely nice guys like Stipe and DC are awesome.

the hipster pokemon guys who refuse to do takedowns and butt flop for sure arnt but not every bjj association does that thank god

usually if the gym has gracie in its name it will be more of a fight style gyl with some self defense as well

Plenty of guys don't have the same style as someone that taught them. Most good coaches don't simply produce clones. But Gary;s success implies, on the face of it, that Deblass has valuable insights and instruction to share.
true one of y brown belts whos 19 or 20 now plays exactly like me been teaching him he was 11 my other top student is a brown who is big wide and plays more like fabio gurgle faria over under passes non stop

With all due respect, I know your a good grappler from your posts on here, you are being way too sensitive about this haha relax
I have just had to hear a ton of crap from certain MMA fighters I used to train with or dudes from gyms I used to work out at disparaging grappling as being soft or whatever (this one dude was obsessed with saying "grappling's for nerds" ). Obviously, we both love grappling and honestly, I totally get where you were coming from. I guess I was just having flashbacks or something. My bad, bro.

Last edited:
I have just had to hear a ton of crap from certain MMA fighters I used to train with or dudes from gyms I used to work out at disparaging grappling as being soft or whatever (this one dude was obsessed with saying "grappling's for nerds" ). Obviously, we both love grappling and honestly, I totally get where you were coming from. I guess I was just having flashbacks or something. My bad, bro.

I don't think you're wrong though. With thay said, in this wild world of ours, I'd rather be a Ryan Hall than a Gordon Ryan. Hell, only one of them has an mma record.

No worries, I probably came off rude, but didn’t mean it. Like you said, I’m here posting and love bjj. I just hate assholes no matter what they do.

Back