Tony Ferguson refusing to tap is stupidity not toughness

No, it's definitely toughness. He goes there with a mentality of one shot potentially making him 75k and getting back on track in the w column. He needs to survive any adversity and he does.

The guy is the toughest there is in the UFC.

I also think it's disrespectful to his opponents. He knows a lot of people don't want to tap and cause a life altering injury either since it's just prize fighting. He banks on that and is in effect cheating too. Tony seems like a huge POS on and off the matt.

I wonder how much of it is tied to his mental health struggles. Kinda unsettling to consider the possibility that it's not gumption or stupidity but the result of an unbalanced person who does not/cannot do what's best for them.

Nothing tough about getting your joints snapped on live television. I will never understand the fighters that prefer to have career altering injuries instead of tapping to a submission. It’s short sighted and stupid. You’re a professional fighter, we know you’re tough. Getting your ligaments stretched and ripped out doesn’t make you any tougher and doesn’t make you lose less. It just gets you injured and reduces your chances of being successful in this sport.
I’m a huge Ferguson fan, but Khabib said it best, he’s a stupid guy.

he’s not trying to be tough he’s crazy

My wife was great while she was my gf! But I know exactly what you mean about Minnesotaians, I work with a couple guys and they are great, nice people. I don’t have a bad thing to say about them. Can you imagine rolling with all Brazilians? A bunch Rousimar Palhares trying to rip your limbs off. Would definitely speed up that Learning curve.
I went MN 25 years to OR for like 10 years, back to MN.... Brought back a west coast chick with me, and her only comment was like "why are people so nice here?" lol. Outside of Minneapolis it really is one of the best states to be in. She has since learned to hunt, camp, fish, and tolerate -30 weather shit. We can call this a keeper. -- Just .... encourage yer wife... with an .... "oral" argument as to why such exchanges should be made from time to time. heh

I did karate and jits 1997 to like 2012, brown and purple at the local shit here as hobby, but no one was really out to hurt ya. My friends older brother would punch ya and make ya regret asking to spar, but he was also the youngest "adults" to get his black belt in the state. He didn't pull punches or fuck around unless you were a noob. Then he'd just make ya look silly.

Call me a pussy, but I'm 6'1 168 -- lanky skinny white boy -- I've been tapped by tons of people. I admit, I tap. Outside of going black out from a choke I didn't recognize was in too deep, each time my limb was about to pop, I don't regret it, but at the same time I had that one moment where I'm like "FUCK I CAN STILL WIN THIS". Maybe in some alternate universe I'd say fuck it, take the injury and go for the gusto though.

Yeah I'm sure Jon Jones still regrets not tapping to Belfort.

for every fighter that doesn't tap that goes on to win, there's like 1000 that just end up losing a limb for a significant period of their career.

No one ever accused him of being a smart man

Must be added pressure knowing you're known for being a badass who can take all the pain and keep going forever...Fighting in general is stupid, we crossed the barrier of what people should or shouldn't do a long time ago in this setting, if everyone tapped ASAP for sensibilities sake and we had no Tony's left then the sport would lose some personality... I say.. Just.. BLEED
<{JustBleed}><Neil01>

If this is an attack in the street where the attacker is trying to kill you then there is no tapping and u have to fight through it and try to still defend yourself with a compromised limb. But I a prize fight or competition it makes no sense to cause yourself an injury that will rule you out for a long time where u cannot fight and cannot make any money and u cannot even train. U are not likely to be able to turn the tide points wise hopping on one leg and he may cause u even more serious damage as u r unable to defend yourself adequately. Worse if the joint never goes back to 100 percent u have just permanently diminished yourself as a fighter - if its bad enough u may even need to retire. U can tel yourself u r an animal and u r tough but it is just foolish self destructive pride...

following this thread to see if our man gets any dome tonight.

fingers crossed, sherbros!

Nothing tough about getting your joints snapped on live television. I will never understand the fighters that prefer to have career altering injuries instead of tapping to a submission. It’s short sighted and stupid. You’re a professional fighter, we know you’re tough. Getting your ligaments stretched and ripped out doesn’t make you any tougher and doesn’t make you lose less. It just gets you injured and reduces your chances of being successful in this sport.
I’m a huge Ferguson fan, but Khabib said it best, he’s a stupid guy.
Why not both?

I also think it's disrespectful to his opponents. He knows a lot of people don't want to tap and cause a life altering injury either since it's just prize fighting. He banks on that and is in effect cheating too. Tony seems like a huge POS on and off the matt.
I can assure you nobody gives a shit when they're in a fight. Pretty much every MMA fighter is trying to put the maximum amount of leverage on their submissions.

Exactly..Oliveras title run and darisuh moving up in rankings will show how good Ferguson is..
Olivera went to decision with Ferguson , yet he ktfo Chandler within 2

He also almost got finished in the first round, and only survived because of Chandler's missing fight iq, and finished him becauseb of Chandler's glass chin.

Tony tapped like 5 times. A verbal tap includes screaming/displaying pain and he repeatedly did.

He's lucky the ref didn't stop the fight.

I can assure you nobody gives a shit when they're in a fight. Pretty much every MMA fighter is trying to put the maximum amount of leverage on their submissions.

No way. Oliv definitely held back otherwise Tony would be crippled right now. Fighters can tell when shit will break and generally expect taps before then.

only a very small % of fighters don't give a fuck

Don't forget Tony made a shit load of money and has been making good money. He would not have had the chance to make that kind of money, if he had thrown in the towel on the previous fight.

Dana appreciates you for being a badazz, even if you habitually lose (Cowboy comes to mind).

Money wise, Tony has done well. The question is, at what cost?

And another thing, you don't have to be the champ, to be a winner.

If he was a smart guy he wouldn't be the Tony Ferguson we all know today

Back