Tried to find firearm / pistol thread - Just got myself a Glock 17

TS is in Cali so the mag capacity argument falls flat against a 1911

You should attack the fact that 1911’s are notoriously finicky (stove pipes, round stacking, general ftf issues) and unless high end can be inaccurate too.. (I love 1911’s fwiw lol)
When going 1911…..higher end is the ticket. I have 2 Wilson’s…..absolutely flawless tack drivers and more accurate than I am. But that came with a rather steep price.

When going 1911…..higher end is the ticket. I have 2 Wilson’s…..absolutely flawless tack drivers and more accurate than I am. But that came with a rather steep price.

Wilson Combat mags will actually help fix some bare bones 1911 ftf issues. I have a Springfield Mil Spec that is fun to shoot but would stack quite often.. buddy of mine recommended picking up some WC mags as a (cheaper) way of fixing the issue and it helped immediately.

Yeah there’s a reason you see a lot of pistol comp guys using tricked out 1911’s, when they’re built right they are very incredible pistols in those settings. But they aren’t cheap

I’m looking at getting a Standard MFG 1911, they’re gorgeous guns. Would like to get an SAA from them too.. allegedly they copped some of Colts original machinery and still make their own SAA’s with them

Wilson Combat mags will actually help fix some bare bones 1911 ftf issues. I have a Springfield Mil Spec that is fun to shoot but would stack quite often.. buddy of mine recommended picking up some WC mags as a (cheaper) way of fixing the issue and it helped immediately.

Yeah there’s a reason you see a lot of pistol comp guys using tricked out 1911’s, when they’re built right they are very incredible pistols in those settings. But they aren’t cheap

I’m looking at getting a Standard MFG 1911, they’re gorgeous guns. Would like to get an SAA from them too.. allegedly they copped some of Colts original machinery and still make their own SAA’s with them
All I run i my 1911’s are WC mags. Absolutely amazing.

I have a combat elite (9mm) and a protector elite (45)https://www.texasundergroundarmory.com/products/handguns-wilson-combat-ptrefs45-811826021052-4698

Not cheap but amazing shooters. I have right at 30 pistols…..the WC 9mm 1911 is my absolute favorite pistol to shoot. Although inside of 15 yds it can get boring because it is so damn accurate and easy to shoot.

and I know this is a Glock thread….I still love Glock. I currently have a 19, 17, 48mos, 21, 29, 20.

I like glocks a lot. The first time i shot, i taste tested a bunch of pistols and like the glock the best. I own several now and still like their feel better than others like shield and hellcat.

Favorite model? I didn't realize there was a G45 which seems like the longer/bigger grip of the 17 with the shorter barrel and slide of the 19, which might ahve been ideal for me. But it's like 1/2 in difference so I'm not even going to worry about it ;) . Tons of aftermarket stuff for G17 too.

The only problem is after buying my first one I ahve the bug and want to buy more now!! lol

Want to get a Ruger Wrangler or a Heritage Rough Rider .22LR revolver for my son. :)

All I run i my 1911’s are WC mags. Absolutely amazing.

I have a combat elite (9mm) and a protector elite (45)https://www.texasundergroundarmory.com/products/handguns-wilson-combat-ptrefs45-811826021052-4698

Not cheap but amazing shooters. I have right at 30 pistols…..the WC 9mm 1911 is my absolute favorite pistol to shoot. Although inside of 15 yds it can get boring because it is so damn accurate and easy to shoot.

and I know this is a Glock thread….I still love Glock. I currently have a 19, 17, 48mos, 21, 29, 20.

This thread is officially and everything thread :) - I LOVE the look of a 1911. Down the line my dream is a .45 1911.

Favorite model? I didn't realize there was a G45 which seems like the longer/bigger grip of the 17 with the shorter barrel and slide of the 19, which might ahve been ideal for me. But it's like 1/2 in difference so I'm not even going to worry about it ;) . Tons of aftermarket stuff for G17 too.

The only problem is after buying my first one I ahve the bug and want to buy more now!! lol

Want to get a Ruger Wrangler or a Heritage Rough Rider .22LR revolver for my son. :)
I don't understand the point of the G45. Granted, I don't live in a place where citizens can CCW, but I feel the extended grip hurts the discreetness of the compact model, while shortening the sight radius and reducing muzzle velocity (however negligible that loss is). Worst of both worlds, IMHO.

I don't understand the point of the G45. Granted, I don't live in a place where citizens can CCW, but I feel the extended grip hurts the discreetness of the compact model, while shortening the sight radius and muzzle velocity (however negligible that loss is). Worst of both worlds, IMHO.

You know...that's a great way to put it! heh. You kind of helped ease my mind a bit.

I was thinking G45 might be the best of both worlds. But in reality a lot of those hybrid/best of both worlds end up sucking at both things. Instead of being really good at one thing they try to be decent at 2 things and stink at both ;)

If I go CCW I'd probably go a smaller pistol meant to conceal rather than try to get 1 gun that "does it all". Or just move to a state with an open carry ;)

50 thousand Americans die each year because of gun violence. That's more people dead than soldiers in the Vietnam war which lasted 10 years... and was a war.
Eye roll...not this guy again.

60% all of those "gun violence deaths" you speak of are suicides, pal. There's no stopping that.
And most of the others are 18-24 year old gang bangers killing each other with illehgal firearms.
There's no stopping that either. get educated before spewing your ignorance.

Anyway TS, here's my Gen 1 Glock 17, Arizona special.

full

60% all of those "gun violence deaths" you speak of are suicides, pal. There's no stopping that.
And most of the others are 18-24 year old gang bangers killing each other with illehgal firearms.

full

Dang dude!! I'd like 3 glocks in California just to equal 1 of your Arizona special clips!! ;) Though I won't live in California forever so another reason the model 17 is good for me. When I leave state I can get real mags! ;)

incorrect. its a 19 slide and barrel length with the 17 grip length and capacity. its civilianized equivalent is the G45

So is it the best of both worlds or the worst of both worlds? ;)

If/When I got another Glock it would probably be the 26.

Last edited:
I recently printed both a G17 and G19 frame . . . and have bought several PSA Dagger frames. So many options. :)

So is it the best of both worlds or the worst of both worlds? ;)

If/When I got another Glock it would probably be the 26.
If you look at the development history of the G45, it's definitely intended to be an OWB duty pistol; full sized grip and capacity paired with a slightly "faster out of the holster", shorter barrel and slide. It just depends on what you want out of it, but if you plan on IWB CCW, there are better choices.

If you look at the development history of the G45, it's definitely intended to be an OWB duty pistol; full sized grip and capacity paired with a slightly "faster out of the holster", shorter barrel and slide. It just depends on what you want out of it, but if you plan on IWB CCW, there are better choices.
Correct. The local police in my area just switched from the Glock 21 to the Glock 45. I really like the gun as well and own an XR920 which is more or less the same concept. You get a full purchase grip while deep conceal carry isnt really impacted as much (lots of dudes add finger extensions to G19's making them roughly the same length) i conceal my XR just as well as my G43X and get round capacity advantage without having to buy specialty magazines.
They certainly ride better as OWB guns when you need to sit down, and they make better suppressor host as well.

full
Wow, you might be the first Glock owner I've ever seen who added finger grooves on the grip.

Wow, you might be the first Glock owner I've ever seen who added finger grooves on the grip.

it's just a hogue slipover. they're like $10

fwiw, i like them on .40s but not on any other calibers. and i wouldn't use them for ccw, it does seem to add an odd amount of width.

Gonna buy myself a 9mm in the next few weeks mostly for short range funsies and carrying while hiking.
Think I might just go with the Mossberg MC2C since it is very light and has a grip extending 15 rd mag which is max where I live, tritium sights, and under 400 new on sale after shipping and ffl included. I can afford more gun if I want, but I just don't see the point right now don't have enough time to shoot enough except to get good with one decently sighted gun.

Only downside I can see is having to scavenge for extra mags on the MC2C.
It's either that or the G19 or the G45 I feel like.
Anyone else have a reliable (e.g. can bring into the woods and not have it break down on me after being exposed to the elements) 9mm they like that has a good frame without a hulking build and approx 4 inch barrel?

Last edited:
Back