Media *** Tyson Fury vs. Francis Ngannou Post Fight Discussion MEGATHREAD ***

How does the fight go?

• Total voters
It's silly to even compare a company like the UFC to a glamour project paid for with oil money in Dubai.

Hiring musical acts, setting up opening ceremony, hiring celebrities, etc. I doubt their goal was to break even financially let alone turn a profit. I suspect it has more to do with raising the overall profile of Dubai as a sporting location and bringing glory to "his excellency"

Comparing such a government project to a company that has to be sustainable over the long term just doesn't make sense.
I was comparing them to boxing paydays, not every fight gets them 20-30 million and this one was special imo.

Reactions: IDL
Francis had a great start, but boxing can't be judged on any single fight.

Wait so you think top boxing matches punctuated by boxers working with PFL for adjusted-ruleset matches are more fun than Francis vs Stipe? Pav? Aspinall?

Jon I can concede is super interesting, but not more interesting that Francis locking in with all these high level options now. I'm so curious what paths he paves.

Francis is easily the biggest "proved the haters wrong" moment in all of MMA.
We've seen him fight Stipe twice. Yes, a hybrid striking match between the 2 hardest hitters in boxing and MMA is way more fun than watching him fight Stipe for a 3rd time – especially given Stipe is now 41. Pav maybe but thanks to the UFC being the amazing demoters that they are, there is ZERO hype behind that guy.

Yes but do you understand how contracts work? That was the last fight of an 8-fight contract, AKA he was basically being paid less than his worth because he had exceeded the expectations on a long-term deal and he had not attempted to renegotiate his deal at any point during it. He was still being paid near the top of the spectrum because he was now at the top, but that was still very new and fresh for him.

Had he tried to renegotiate a deal before it ran out he may have had better luck in pushing the UFC for more $. They tried to call his bluff once it ran out and for once it worked out for him and not them. Good on him. They shoulda paid him more. But to have suddenly paid a guy $10mil in his first title defense on the last fight of his outdated contract without a full renegoriation? Madness.
I get it. It's a really lousy contract. My point still stands Buddeh. I said he "Should" get paid much more. A general statement of my opinion about what UFC champs should make. Again only you are now talking about contract renegotiations and past fights. Just so you can be right. *Rolls Eyes*. "They shoulda paid him more" - your words. Glad we can agree on this simple concept. Are you always like this dude? Jeesh.

I get it. It's a really lousy contract. My point still stands Buddeh. I said he "Should" get paid much more. A general statement of my opinion about what UFC champs should make. Again only you are now talking about contract renegotiations and past fights. Just so you can be right. *Rolls Eyes*. "They shoulda paid him more" - your words. Glad we can agree on this simple concept. Are you always like this dude? Jeesh.

... you made it seem like you were eating up their "DRRRR BOXING PAYS MOER" propaganda. I had to spell it out for you. Now you're electronically rolling your eyes like a teenager... Grow up dude.

We've seen him fight Stipe twice. Yes, a hybrid striking match between the 2 hardest hitters in boxing and MMA is way more fun than watching him fight Stipe for a 3rd time – especially given Stipe is now 41. Pav maybe but thanks to the UFC being the amazing demoters that they are, there is ZERO hype behind that guy.
The first half of my post was entirely sarcastic. I'm with you, brother. I feel the same. It was supposed to be sarcasm.

I'm aware of the distaste promotions have for 10-10 rounds, but completely disagree with it. You'd see a lot more correct decisions if 10-10 rounds weren't taboo, as it's the very close rounds where bias, corruption, and incompetence is most present.

I've always suspected that the reason every promoter is against 10-10 is that this is the easiest way to fix fights. If you know who all the close rounds are going to, you have a major advantage when betting.
i honestly thought it was going to be a draw bc the gambling lines. I’m with you.

that being said it’s not the promoters who train judges, it’s USA boxing at the amateur level and the state athletic commission for the pro’s.

The first half of my post was entirely sarcastic. I'm with you, brother. I feel the same. It was supposed to be sarcasm.
Apologies. Totally went over my head. I tried to catch it but my reflexes weren’t fast enough

Ol' Chael P rubbing it in <45> Trolling or not, he does have a point at the end there. I don't see any crossover tuber or mma guy, doing jack sh to a wrestler in their realm. No rebuttals to that

he's been wrong so many times on his picks I suppose he should have his fun wherever he can find it. I just kind of wonder where these guys like him pick up the enmity for boxing. I mean, what is the reason? Is it because of the fame or money the sport gets or is it just because it's not "a real fight"?

Sucks for you. I'm game to watch a hybrid fight with him and Wilder. Probably going to be MMA striking or boxing in MMA gloves.

shut-up-and-take-my-money-9299-2560x1600.jpg

Or we could have watched him fight Stipe again....

I'd rather watch arm wrestling.

Chael always says that stuff like this would never happen in wrestling and yet Karelin lost to Rulon Gardner of all people (technicality or not). You know, that morbidly obese dude from The Biggest Loser.

... you made it seem like you were eating up their "DRRRR BOXING PAYS MOER" propaganda. I had to spell it out for you. Now you're electronically rolling your eyes like a teenager... Grow up dude.
Not even. Again, your words. I didn't ask for anything to be spelled out, nor was it necessary. Seems like I have to keep spelling it out for you and you change the conversation. You have yet to say anything that takes away from my statement and you're hurling insults while telling me to grow up. LOL> What's your problem? You seem butthurt and angry.
<JagsKiddingMe>

His single remaining braincell working overtime to make this take. Yeah, ONE boxing match proves that boxing is not a sport? gtfoh

Isn't Chael's claim to fame basically being the Randy Turpin of MMA but he lost both fights?

Ol' Chael P rubbing it in <45> Trolling or not, he does have a point at the end there. I don't see any crossover tuber or mma guy, doing jack sh to a wrestler in their realm. No rebuttals to that

we've seen BJ Penn get KTFO'd by some random on the street, so where does that put MMA? Also, didn't Ray Mercer end Tim Sylvia?

using this logic, then the most legitimate sports are things like synchronized diving, table tennis or whateverthefuck that sport is where people twirl things in the air--no chance a random Joe comes in from off the street and competes with someone in the top 1000

Isn't Chael's claim to fame basically being the Randy Turpin of MMA but he lost both fights?
Basically. For losing both fights to Anderson Silva. He also got smashed by Jones but to be fair he was a WEC champ prior to entering the UFC.

Chaels a moron.

Also, why when an MMA guy does well do MMA guys start crapping all over the sport of boxing... do they have that low of an opinion on the boxing quality in MMA?

Back