Media *** Tyson Fury vs. Francis Ngannou Post Fight Discussion MEGATHREAD ***

How does the fight go?

• Total voters
No thanks. Francis won and got hosed. No need to see another corrupt as hell boxing match.

Every time I watch it, I constantly get reminded why I stopped watching it

He seemed unprepared to me. But its hard to tell.

He looked pretty good in the first round, i felt a momentum shift around the time he got cut on his forehead. But maybe thats nothing.

Most of the fight he wasnt moving like his usual self, not light on his feet, not landing accurately. It could be that he was less prepared but it also could be francis being so good completely threw him off his game.

Right, because judges are always reliable and never get it wrong. Almost like it was your first time watching a combat sports event lol.
You’re in the minority that thinks Francis lost, just because you’re a dick, doesn’t make you right. Go fuck off

They weren't francis haters, they were people who just doubted him for good reason. I was one of them, but I hoped francis would pull it all off. I just had Zero faith he actually would. Most people are happy for francis
Yup. I gave him no chance, and I'm happy that he proved me and many others wrong. I do wish that Fury fights Usyk next, but that's most likely not happening, as there will be a Fury-Ngannou rematch and maybe even a trilogy.

I think Ngannou was better, faster and stronger than Fury expected. He also had good timing in his punches.

That and boxing talent is overrated at HW. I expect a gazillion MMA fighters trying to switch to boxing now.

I shat all over Francis for pushing for this fight but damn he looked great. I actually want to see him box in the future instead of doing MMA. He is already 37 so maybe a tune up vs a bum and then throw him there with Wilder or something.

He was also missing the target when the target was standing perfectly still.
This was something I noticed, and I can't say I'm much of a boxing viewer or have seen many of Fury's fights (maybe 3 or 4?).

He seemed to have a tough time finding range on anything other than a jab. And it didn't strike me as great defence from Francis that was causing the misses.

If boxing is in shambles, please answer:

Why did Ngannou make more money in that one fight than in all his previous UFC fights combined?

It seems like any half decent UFC fighter wants to cross over into boxing (McGregor, even Khabib wanted to, etc). Something doesn't add up, does it?

Also, Fury did not get dog walked. Ngannou lost a close decision and it was a close fight.

But once again -- if boxing was in shambles, Ngannou would not be here and what Ngannou is doing is dream of any MMA fighter from your beloved UFC -- divorce Dana and actually have freedom and respect and make some money. So your claim is patently -- false.

If not -- please explain.
It's true...Canrat had to go to boxing to make his real fortune. Same as Ganou. If anything, Uncle Dana has kept boxing alive.

I think he tried as much as he could have, for being as unprepared as he was. I’d say it’s kinda hard to get out of a funk in a fight after you severely underestimated your opponent.

that is young for HW’s standard, not to mention Francis started his career late and barely take damage during those fights. Didn’t Foreman became HW undisputed champ at the age or 50?

Foreman had a belt at 45, wasn't undisputed. He was lineal champ though from 1994-1997 but lost his belts before that due to the usual not taking an org's mandatory fights

Ngannou's stock just went through the ceiling. Dana is trying to figure out how to bring him back. There is way too much money to be made. Ngannou looked a lot better than people were expecting and has gained more respect from me. If he has a few more boxing matches and looks good he will be able to make demands that Dana would have to take seriously

If boxing is in shambles, please answer:

Why did Ngannou make more money in that one fight than in all his previous UFC fights combined?

It seems like any half decent UFC fighter wants to cross over into boxing (McGregor, even Khabib wanted to, etc). Something doesn't add up, does it?

Also, Fury did not get dog walked. Ngannou lost a close decision and it was a close fight.

But once again -- if boxing was in shambles, Ngannou would not be here and what Ngannou is doing is dream of any MMA fighter from your beloved UFC -- divorce Dana and actually have freedom and respect and make some money. So your claim is patently -- false.

If not -- please explain.
An elite boxer got close decision against a 0-0 guy that panic-wrestled in his last MMA fight because he was getting outstruck.
Myself and everybody expected Fury to beat the crap out of Francis. It wasn't supposed to go like that.

It is undeniable that boxing is a way better business for fighters tho. UFC takes a giant cut out of the money they make and they are basically a monopoly.
But also in MMA the fans usually get the fights we want to see. I'm still pissed off because AJ vs Wilder never happened when they were both undefeated. In MMA we get those fights like 90% of the time.

LOL at Silva having a "professional boxing career" prior to fighting Chavez. He had two low level fights, a loss in 1998 and a win in 2005. Technically true, but for any practical purposes, meaningless. By your logic Mercer also had an MMA career prior to fighting Silvia, since he lost to Kimbo in 2007.

Not by my logic. The Kimbo fight was an exhibition, not a professional bout. Don't you know how to read?

I’m a fan of both sports. But that’s just silly. Boxers are mostly winning these crossover fights.

If Fury loses that Usyk fight he may just retire. Seems like its now swaying the betting odds now in Usyks favor because of Fury's performance tonite. The Usyk fight will probably get delayed for 2 more months because Fury may have suffered some damage tonite

Yeah I noticed that too. It's almost 60:40 already.

Agreed with most of your points.

I do think boxing has been in shambles for a while though. It’s my favorite sport but the true boxing matches are dwindling. Money takes over which causes fights to get milked, belts to be held hostage, corrupt decisions, steroid abuse, ducking fighters, etc. The sport innately has its issues and we get the fights we want too late or never. Or, we get unnecessary rematches/trilogies.

MMA orgs obviously have oversight, so they can mandate fights, make them happen quickly, have more accountability in judging, etc.

Boxing is in a weird spot and this fight was def a win for MMA in my humble opinion.

Well, I guess we're arguing over the definition of "in shambles".

Is the UFC HW division not in shambles? I think it's much worse than the boxing HW division. There's just no talent. The judging in MMA is incredibly bad, I've seen so many poor decisions in MMA this year.

Late stoppages and poor refereeing are an enormous problem in MMA, much more so than in boxing IMO.

MMA orgs can mandate fights but that's precisely what makes them bad too - Dana and his buddies make the most money, not the fighters and they can play games and manipulate fighters into signing contracts and doing things that are not in their interest.

I also have a dislike of instant endless rematches but UFC does this too. How many times this Cara-France guy fight the other guy? Four times? I was thinking they just need to have them fight each other every 6 months for the rest of their lives until one of them dies. So I'm with you on that but the UFC does this too.

I agree with all your points about boxing but that's the price you pay for fighters being in control AND getting paid much more, not Dana. Any fighter from the UFC would prefer the boxing system and being in charge of their career. So each system has its downsides.

To me though, it's not always about the big marquee fights but the quality of the competition and the beauty of the sport. One of the very best fights for me this year (MMA of boxing) was Munguia VS Derevyanchenko just a few months ago. That was better than any UFC fight this year, certainly better than what we saw yesterday (was a very subpar fight, honestly). So to me it's not always about the mass media fights -- very often I see a free boxing fight on DAZN that's better than anything on the paid UFC with their usual monthly "greatest fight in UFC history".

There were some amazing boxing fights this year. Boxing is most definitely not in shambles by that definition.

Neither is UFC but once again -- I don't understand this false us VS them mentality. Someone likes spaghetti. Someone likes steak. Someone likes both. Just enjoy.

I like both sports even though I've been more into boxing lately. Any sport has its issues --- and that's it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back