UFC 219 - Cyborg vs Holm - Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is such good advice. My biggest regret of the year was betting Rose by sub and not having anything on her ML, painful to think about. Another recent example is Benitez against Knight. A lot of us thought Benitez could only win inside the distance (me included) and got burned.

I agree on bigger dogs to put most on ml even when the clear path to victory is by a specific sub, ko or dec. putting some on the prop is likely a good play but mainly on the ml sounds like the best long term strategy. The rose example is a good one and makes sense.

Has he, though? I mean his best win is against Ben Nguyen (good win, dont get me wrong) but he hasn't won a round against the better competition that he's faced

He's faced some top competition. Lasting with Elliott and Borg is pretty impressive in itself. Both are horrible matchups for him too. Honestly, a lifestyle like that would be tough to maintain and do well even in the small organizations on AXS tv. Being in the UFC with that lifestyle is crazy.

Thoughts on Lineker as a dog here? He looked pretty bad against TJ, but I don't think Rivera is on that level yet.

He's faced some top competition. Lasting with Elliott and Borg is pretty impressive in itself. Both are horrible matchups for him too. Honestly, a lifestyle like that would be tough to maintain and do well even in the small organizations on AXS tv. Being in the UFC with that lifestyle is crazy.
true true

Maybe he's lying? Or exaggerating? Why would I he? I don't know, people are weird.

Holy shit lol. If you have been drinking as to black out every night and have been drinking since you were a kid, how do you think you can just stop? How does that affect his body and his performance? If I was betting on him I would want him to cut down , not try to stop all together. This guy reminds me of John Daly the golfer. Good luck to him though, don’t know how he performed as good as he has.

Thoughts on Lineker as a dog here? He looked pretty bad against TJ, but I don't think Rivera is on that level yet.
Some have played lineker already. The consensus seeming to be his better striking and power will be too much for el terror. Hard to disagree but for what it's worth from a white belt with little amount of posts, I gotta wonder what rivera was training to do against cruz. If he comes in with matrix level movement and sonic the hedgehog footwork this might end up looking a bit like TJ vs lineker. Hard to pass on dog money from hands of stone though. Ought to be a fun fight. Looking forward to it.

Last edited:

If it stays standing I think it's competitive, maybe slight edge to Lineker. My concern is that Rivera is probably going to be looking to wrestle, as he should. He likes to mix in a td attempt towards the end of rounds if he thinks he needs it to secure the round. Although, he did go right to the takedown in the 3rd against Almeida after he was caught with some big shots in the 2nd, but couldn't hold him down.

The question for me is whether or not Rivera's wrestling/top control is good enough to implement a similar gameplan to what Dillashaw and Bagautinov did against Lineker. My guess is that it probably is, but it's still a question mark. Also, Rivera does get hit clean a fair amount, but his chin has held up. That could be dangerous against a guy with Lineker's power. At current prices, dog or pass IMO.

Rivera has the ability to make Lineker look as bad as TJ did. If you look at what he did to Faber you can realize he’s very high level and only getting better.

Lineker is very one dimensional. He throws looping hooks and hits hard. He can hurt Rivera and put him away but I think Rivera is going to do exactly what TJ did and not be there to stand and brawl with Lineker.

I got Rivera ML -190 and small hedge on Lineker Itd +345

For what it’s worth, a buddy of mine is a huge Lineker fan and usually predicts his fights pretty accurately, thinks he’s gonna be schooled against Rivera

Ukram is the man for doing this already... but since I'm listening to it anyways.

I impressed UFC at the TUF tryouts, I told them if you need a 135'er I'm your guy, so they gave me a contract instead of putting me on the show, always in the gym, was gaining weight to go up to 145 to get on the show, no problem, I'll make weight, it's a nice tough hard fight, it's what I want, he's awkward, like Cruz, but I'm ready to showcase my skills, training alot of wrestling, at my size, at 135, my jab is money, doing alot of boxing, I'm hungry and I'm going into there to kick his ass, I see me finishing him, he's super dangerous tough opponent, but I'm ready for the next level

For me the problem with Rivera doing what TJ did is he hasn't shown the consistent wrestling or top game. We saw how the judges rewarded Dodson for not brawling with Lineker. TJ much more dynamic with his striking variety as well. Also, Rivera has been dropped or stunned by every UFC opponenet besides Faber and Brimage. Has shown great recover, but that could lose him rounds here.

I train two times a day and teach classes, all 3 guys in front of me are hurt, UFC really wanted to keep me on the card, I'm a team player, I was never looking at Lineker, he just bangs, Vera can't box, He's 1-0, I'm 5-0, he's a wild version of Almeida, one of my teammates fought him at 125 (Louis Gaudinot), I have alot of good looks at camp, Julio Arce was mimicking cruz, I eat really healthy, i don't cut alot of weight, I want to finish him, submit or KO him

I don't think Rivera is near TJ level. Rivera tends to eat shots also. Not good this fight

I don't think Rivera is near TJ level. Rivera tends to eat shots also. Not good this fight

TJ, Cody and maybe Cruz depending how he looks coming back from yet another injury>>>>>the rest of the BW division.

Looking to throw money on de la rosa, hopefully opens a bigger dog than Menga. I like his attitude, seems pretty solid

Interestingly I found a video of him doing a BJJ match with Colton Smith a few years ago, when Smith was fighting at WW lmao

I need to rewatch the Vera fight, but didn't Lineker not really look like himself, much less aggressive? Maybe lingering affects from the broken jaw.

I need to rewatch the Vera fight, but didn't Lineker not really look like himself, much less aggressive? Maybe lingering affects from the broken jaw.

He slowed in the 3rd

I also think Vera is better than people think

If nothing else, he is rangey and fights long with a lot of kicks, knees, etc. which made it more difficult for Lineker to get inside with his power punches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back