UFC 219 - Cyborg vs Holm - Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.
15 pounds left, 2 weeks out, it will be good, I talked to the UFC, if I win, Tony in March or April would be perfect, I am very excited, all this talk about my weight is motivation for me, striking is a big risk, you can miss only one shot and fall down, you have to be careful, I know I can wrestle all my opponents, why do I have to box, victory is more important, some fighters only want entertaining fights, but it's unprofessional, they don't think about their future, you have to be safe to your brain

I agree for the most part, but this match-up is one where I preferred Carla's dec at +415 to her ML of +260. I just don't see how she wins ITD. That said, now that her dec is +330, the difference isn't large enough to risk it.

Yea, at current prices it's definitely not worth the risk. I'm just making it a point to play the ML more often, especially when the underdog is +250 or better.

I do think the chances of Carla finishing are low though. I'm at 1u ML +280 and 0.2u DEC +415 for what it's worth.

I'm trying to not drink every night during fight camp, I was blacking out every night, I like to party, until 2 weeks out, I would drink until I black out every night, I was so bored, I would drink a whole case after 9pm, weight cuts were rough, my coaches and finance were hard on me, last fight I was thrown off by southpaw, I had a bad weight cut, I'm 25 pounds over now, (30 days out), this fight camp, working on wrestling, because I haven't been stopping takedowns, I will at least try, I'm drinking and lazy, I've been drinking since I've been in the UFC, I drink year round, I've been drinking since I've been a kid, I'm trying my best not to drink this camp, if I can stop some takedowns this fight, that would be cool, the gyms split, Yancy and Max are at another gym, but I'm free to go there, it sucks, but not a big deal

I trained all summer, known about this fight for 3-4 months, I said I wanted to fight Carla or Waterson after my win, and Carla took it as disrespect so she accepted, I was happy, I'm well rounded, I can adapt, I've fought a wrestler before but she was taller than me, Jamie Moyle has been a training partner for me at TAM, same body as Carla, it's a tough cut for me, no room for errors, it will be bloody, I like to see them bleed, she will underestimate my power and shoot, but my bread and butter is my ground

I'm trying to not drink every night during fight camp, I was blacking out every night, I like to party, until 2 weeks out, I would drink until I black out every night, I was so bored, I would drink a whole case after 9pm, weight cuts were rough, my coaches and finance were hard on me, last fight I was thrown off by southpaw, I had a bad weight cut, I'm 25 pounds over now, (30 days out), this fight camp, working on wrestling, because I haven't been stopping takedowns, I will at least try, I'm drinking and lazy, I've been drinking since I've been in the UFC, I drink year round, I've been drinking since I've been a kid, I'm trying my best not to drink this camp, if I can stop some takedowns this fight, that would be cool, the gyms split, Yancy and Max are at another gym, but I'm free to go there, it sucks, but not a big deal

Red flag alert.

Listened to a few other interviews where he mentioned his drinking, but he had said he "cut back" or essentially stopped for this fight camp. The above would suggest he is still an undedicated drunk. As long as he stops *some* takesdowns though, that would be *cool*. smh.

Last edited:
Never stopped training, Miranda was beatable but tough, was a great experience, I took him down when I wanted, good to have this time to improve, Akhmedov's going to have a bad night, his only thing is wrestling, and scrappy, not close to being enough for me, he gases 2nd/3rd round, gets pressured easy, I have size, he's coming up from WW, focus on TDD, I will take him down too, I really want to finish this fight, very prepared, Munoz for wrestling at Kings MMA, and Cummins, Werdum, Kelvin, Dariush, stop the first two takedowns and pressure him, sub or KO, want 3 fights next year, want Borrachinha

Living at the gym at ATT, I thought the fight was a draw, he didn't do anything but leg kicks, just have to move on, Hooker is tough, I wanted a fight like this to go back on my winning ways, he'll stand up with me, face to face and I'll put it on him, training with Tibau and Dustin, every day is different, I hang out with Horiguchi, I want to KO him, I want to fight in London, Drakkar shouldn't have beat me, I know what I'm capable of, he looked horrible in his last fight, he got lucky with me, I know what I have to do now, I don't like flying

Big ups to Vettori for calling out Borrachinha, kid is clearly confident in his skills.

Agree with most Vkram, but I think Carla opts to try to strike more here, as her volume will make it close on the feet and will only look for td's late to try to steal close rounds. She used this strategy against Penne and Cyn is an even better grappler, so I see a similar gameplan here. I watched tape and was ready to play Cyn at around -150, but lines have dictated a carla play IMO. So far I am on the over and carla dec, will look at Cyn NSC, but expecting it to be rightfully juiced. Maybe cover a bit on Cyn Sub, but don't think odds will be too good on that either based on where the Over is set and that being the only way this ends ITD, imo.

I have a theory that Carla is much more hesitant with her striking after her fight with JJ. I don't really have the numbers to back it up but maybe there is something in this.

We've been waiting for this fight for years, great to be at 145, makes a big difference, she trains all the time, its just who she is, we've been training for Holly for months, Holly will try to pry on Cyborg's emotions, Cyborg won't fall into any traps

Last edited:
I knew I was going to fight her, so I started training early, I knew she was going to accept the fight later, i brought in a guy from south africa, southpaw muay thai and a brown belt with wrestling, I'm really happy to fight at 145

Trying to fight Condit for 2 years, last fight my coaches said I need more time between fights, I accepted the RDA fight right after my last fight, make sure I get cleared for a fight first, same height, both have cardio, both push the pace, BJJ and striking is even, will be a great back and forth fight, I moved with Elliot Marshall up east, some guys you haven't seen, training with Thatch and Bojan, I will go out there and shine, it's been a year since I've won, I will go out and do everything I can, get back on the horse and keep on moving forward

Weather is great in New Zealand, first fight in Vegas, but I've been there with teammates, we're both dangerous and have highlight reels, I don't think he fought welll that night against Drakkar, I feel he's better than that, 8 week hard camp, training with a 11-0 guy from Glory, list goes on for kickboxers here, I stay in shape year round, expecting a super tough fight, his cardio is good, set the pace, expecting a war, if he's matching my pace, it will be FOTN, I coach young fighters, I watch fights on my downtime

Last edited:
I wanted the time off, I was sick of cutting weight, sick of training, I told the UFC I wanted a break, I wanted some carbs, needed to get my head right, last loss proved I need to stop drinking, I've been an alcoholic for a while, I'm stubborn, I like to drink, I like to have fun, I hit the wall, I'm not a kid anymore, I'm cutting it down alot, before I was blacking out every night, trying to clean it up now, now I'm not trying not to throw up during sparring, I fell pretty good about this fight, first black belt I'm going up against, got a new gym, just trying to get everything set up, 2 training partners have trained with him before, but he's young and will adpat, taking off the drinking has got me alot lighter, and I can eat more now that I'm not drinking, I would drink whatever, like even mouthwash, I like beer, wine, it doens't matter, just try to go out there put on a show, get a finish, entertain, training all year round, your body breaksdown, would like 4 months of rest, everyday is a holiday when you hang out with me, I love to party

Last edited:
I wanted the time off, I was sick of cutting weight, sick of training, I told the UFC I wanted a break, I wanted some carbs, needed to get my head right, last loss proved I need to stop drinking, I've been an alcoholic for a while, I'm stubborn, I like to drink, I like to have fun, I hit the wall, I'm not a kid anymore, I'm cutting it down alot, before I was blacking out every night, trying to clean it up now, now I'm not trying not to throw up during sparring, I fell pretty good about this fight, first black belt I'm going up against, got a new gym, just trying to get everything set up, 2 training partners have trained with him before, but he's young and will adpat, taking off the drinking has got me alot lighter, and I can eat more now that I'm not drinking, I would drink whatever, like even mouthwash, I like beer, wine, it doens't matter, just try to go out there put on a show, get a finish, entertain, training all year round, you body breaksdown, would like 4 months of rest, everyday is a holiday when you hang out with me, I love to party

LOL off to my “never bet” list w this interview

LOL off to my “never bet” list w this interview

I'm surprised he's been performing as well as he has based off of that interview. His losses aren't bad at all. Seems like a wildman.

I'm surprised he's been performing as well as he has based off of that interview. His losses aren't bad at all. Seems like a wildman.

Seems like someone who is going to spiral once cut from the UFC.

Has he, though? I mean his best win is against Ben Nguyen (good win, dont get me wrong) but he hasn't won a round against the better competition that he's faced

Older vid from a year ago :

Says he thought Moreno was a 'volume striker' based on the highlight he saw from the TUF show. Fun fighter, but what a head case.....about as unprofessional as you can get. Not to mention it's probably not a good idea having public interviews about yourself out there acting extremely lackadaisical about your drinking problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back