UFC 255: Figueiredo vs. Perez

I think backing Perez is a punt, if the wrestling fails and he just gets stuffed or reversed then what? He's stuck on the outside with a calf kick at his disposal. He's not quick Perez, he doesn't have the power of Fig, and I don't think he can control the pace or direction of the fight either.

I don't really agree with that. Perez is a pressure fighter and Fig is not a volume fighter. Perez likely has the better gas tank for deep water too. A calf kick isn't his lone stand-up weapon, it's something he used in a matchup where he knew it'd be effective. And it's hard for me to imagine that Perez can't take Fig down, I'd only be more worried about Fig's sub attempts and how quickly he can get back up, but Perez has great transitions&scrambles too.

As for the matchup/competition stuff... I mean if we're going on that, Fig has only beaten one top 10 beside Joe. Perez hasn't, but this is definitely not some worldbeating legend vs some mid-level dude at this point in their careers.

Is Buckley injured? Why is all this money coming in on Wright? Buckley was -260 yesterday. Now he’s -200.

I don't really agree with that. Perez is a pressure fighter and Fig is not a volume fighter. Perez likely has the better gas tank for deep water too. A calf kick isn't his lone stand-up weapon, it's something he used in a matchup where he knew it'd be effective. And it's hard for me to imagine that Perez can't take Fig down, I'd only be more worried about Fig's sub attempts and how quickly he can get back up, but Perez has great transitions&scrambles too.

As for the matchup/competition stuff... I mean if we're going on that, Fig has only beaten one top 10 beside Joe. Perez hasn't, but this is definitely not some worldbeating legend vs some mid-level dude at this point in their careers.
the main difference is speed. Perez seems very slow for a flyweight.

That tweet was Friday morning at a bit before 7am, so only a few hours before the weigh-ins.
It's hard to say if he botched his cut or he just doesn't care, I'm at a complete loss when it comes to trying to figure out what makes Perry tick.

Ahh my bad. I would still say the logic holds that it's hard to say if his cardio will be impacted much.

Im on shogun by decision x 4.33 and Craig KO x 7.5. One of them should hit. I dont think Craig is capable of winning decisions lol with how he fights.

If Craig hurts Shogun his instinct will be to hunt for the sub though? It's in his DNA it feels like...

the main difference is speed. Perez seems very slow for a flyweight.

He will definitely look slow early on vs how Fig looks imo. Fig is ALL fast twitch explosion. He's more powerful and dangerous as a finisher than most guys this size, but I think it also means he's not built for 5 rounds like a lot of the little guys are.

Is Buckley injured? Why is all this money coming in on Wright? Buckley was -260 yesterday. Now he’s -200.

Casuals see the 11-0 record and figure why not take a stab?

For the record I do think Wright is a live dog. Mostly because Buckley's striking defense isn't amazing. He seems to forego slipping punches or rolling with them in order to get more pop on his own shots. Which means there could be opportunity for Wright to hurt him. Still favor Buckley because Wright isn't anything special. His record is inflated and he's really 11-1, getting put to sleep on DWCS. When he's in rhythm, he actually blends his kicks and punches pretty well. The problem he's gonna have (and it's a MASSIVE one imo) is that if you want to fight with that Wonderboy karate style and keep your hands low, you have to be REALLY good at distance management. And I don't think Wright necessarily is.

I also just have this gut feeling he may try to grapple Buckley and test him there. Could be way off, but something tells me he might try to see if he can get something done on the mat.

His volume, cardio, and wrestling.

He's been fighting smarter, and gradually improving as a fighter.

Fig is legit, but he's finish or bust. And Perez is durable, despite being finished by Joe B(that was such a weird finish too, some of those hammerfists were illegal).

I think Perez will fight smart, wear on Fig with his wrestling and kicks, and end up winning a decision.

This will further solidify Dana's fuckery of cutting so many fighters for cheaper, contenders series contracts.

I also think that Fig has a bit of recency bias, and more name recognition playing into his line. Let's not forget he was a decent underdog against Joe B in their first title fight.

I hope his line is still +250, I'm up in the mountains rn and wont be back home until later. Shogun/Craig u2.5 was +money last night, that's a solid play.

Will probably bet on Perry too if a lot of money has come in on Means.

Fig is legit, but he's finish or bust. And Perez is durable, despite being finished by Joe B(that was such a weird finish too, some of those hammerfists were illegal).

I think Perez will fight smart, wear on Fig with his wrestling and kicks, and end up winning a decision.

This will further solidify Dana's fuckery of cutting so many fighters for cheaper, contenders series contracts.

I also think that Fig has a bit of recency bias, and more name recognition playing into his line. Let's not forget he was a decent underdog against Joe B in their first title fight.

I hope his line is still +250, I'm up in the mountains rn and wont be back home until later. Shogun/Craig u2.5 was +money last night, that's a solid play.

Craig could definitely finish Shogun, but how often do you see Shogun getting a finish? Isn't he way more likely to win by top control?

I rewatched ufc 1 today it’s crazy how it was back into the day. Absolutely no rules no weight classes guys fighting multiple times a night. Pretty crazy.

I rewatched ufc 1 today it’s crazy how it was back into the day. Absolutely no rules no weight classes guys fighting multiple times a night. Pretty crazy.

Nobody (including most of the fighters) really knew much about what it was going to be like.

Casuals see the 11-0 record and figure why not take a stab?

For the record I do think Wright is a live dog. Mostly because Buckley's striking defense isn't amazing. He seems to forego slipping punches or rolling with them in order to get more pop on his own shots. Which means there could be opportunity for Wright to hurt him. Still favor Buckley because Wright isn't anything special. His record is inflated and he's really 11-1, getting put to sleep on DWCS. When he's in rhythm, he actually blends his kicks and punches pretty well. The problem he's gonna have (and it's a MASSIVE one imo) is that if you want to fight with that Wonderboy karate style and keep your hands low, you have to be REALLY good at distance management. And I don't think Wright necessarily is.

I also just have this gut feeling he may try to grapple Buckley and test him there. Could be way off, but something tells me he might try to see if he can get something done on the mat.

fuck he’s -190 now. I thought I threw $100 on him @-250. Turns out I fat fingers the second confirm bet and my bet never posted.
Glad I fucked up. I’m much happier about losing $100 @-190 than -250 obviously if that happens

fuck he’s -190 now. I thought I threw $100 on him @-250. Turns out I fat fingers the second confirm bet and my bet never posted.
Glad I fucked up. I’m much happier about losing $100 @-190 than -250 obviously if that happens

For sure.

Really surprised the money's going this way on Wright and not the other way around. I think Impa was a better fighter than Wright in every aspect.

ML for Perez has been slowly inching the other way, unfortunately for you. Hovering around +225 in most books.

Agreed about the Joe B finish. I think people are putting too much stock in that. It's not like he was knocked down by a power punch. He was just getting spammed with hammerfists in the back of the head while clutching a single on the ground. He looked pretty good for most of that fight too. He's otherwise never lost to strikes and I can't remember even seeing him get hurt on the feet.

If Perez doesn't get takedowns and control and is forced to strike I can't imagine a scenario where he doesn't get sniped and absolutely flattened with a straight shot.

Why has Perez even got the shot? There are guys fighting on this card who deserve it more. I feel it's a set up for Fig

PBP thread??

Back