UFC 297: Strickland vs. Du Plessis - PBP

I'm really glad I hedged when I did lol.
Congrats DDP! that was a well earned belt.

Ddp 2, 3, 4
After checking the cards Izzy's probably going to wonder what nail polish goes best with his daily outfit

Not trying to be a smart ass but have u ever done any type of martial arts or box with friends or wrestle or anything like that? I'm an avid runner I've done over idk 50 marathons I try and run 20-40 miles a week when tranining for marathons certain ones I run more at a certain point your body breaks down for me it's usually mile 19 lol
I have. And I work a full time job. If my full time job was to train I would be significantly better at the sports i play. A marathon is hours and hours long. Mayra had months to train for a 25 minute mma match, talked crazy shit and gassed out by 10 minutes.

I heavily bet DDP before the fight, didn't hedge, and won a decent amount of money, but I think strickland won this pretty convincingly and I am shocked I am in the minority based on the main forums. I think Strickland won rounds 1,2 and 5 convincingly and I think he won round 3 as well. DDP only clearly won the round where he busted stricklands cut open and had blood pouring down his face (i think R4). Stricklands jab and volume carried the fight and DDP's wrestling was ineffective because strickland just got backup and didn't take any damage or allow much control time. Very surprised here

However, the fight played out pretty much how I expected. Like I originally predicted, DDP can give the fight away by trading boxing with Strickland and not implementing his wrestling. Well, 3 minutes in R1 goes by and DDP's eye is starting to swell shut before he shot the first takedown, which is wayy too late. If DDP couldn't hold strickland down I would have liked to see more cage wrestling. DDP also should have thrown more body/head kicks because they were landing and Sean wasn't defending or countering them at all, free scoring in the judge's eyes.

Kinda. He is getting older, so his reflexes, strength, and cardio might have taken a hit.
I think moreso Garry kinda laid the blueprint to chopping his legs up being a big weakness of his.
Larkin did that years ago lol

Every round seemed clear to me, except for R5.

1. Strickland
2. Strickland
3. DDP
4. DDP
5. I thought Strickland looked a little better this round, but I knew it was gonna go to a split-decision at this point. I was sweating bullets because I live bet Strickland -189 for $500, then switched to DDP after R4 at -303 for $2400 because I thought the momentum shifted and wasn't gonna go back. DDP getting tired and not being able to get a TD in R5 was worrisome.

At this point, it's hard for me to know what the fuck judges are scoring. It used to be much more predictable at least for me. I thought Siday was a clear winner in his fight. I didn't think Woodson should have been split. I guess I'm in the minority with thinking Katona won as well, but I thought he was far more effective which was evident by the 3rd. D'Amato giving round 3 to Armfield seems incredibly strange to me. Curtis and Barriault being split is a major head scratcher for me too. I can't bitch too much about Strickland/DDP, but I thought DDP's offense was overvalued. Strickland needed to put on the gas a bit more though especially by round 4.

Not a great night for me betting, but not horrible because of Magny and Pennington. Without those, it would have been a rough night.

welp i crushed this event. only fights i lost were lainesse, strickland and allen. aside from strickland, somehow ended up on the right side of all the close decisions.

on allen i had caught +3.5pts at -110 so i broke even on that one too.

badly regret not going bigger on pennington. that line was insane.

almost felt bad as a canadian fading every canadian male aside from lainesse... but it worked out beautifully.

Last edited:
Back