UFC 298, Volk versus Topuria PBP

"With a tear in my eye"
Quoting Ric Flair from the 92 Rumble. Classic. Respect.

"To be the man you gotta beat the man."

Quite liked a few people in the crowd giving a Woo! In acknowledgement.

Is this a joke?
Nah man, those two rounds were locked up, Woodburn was gassed. Sometimes the near guaranteed bet is worth the little juice it gets. Not always of course, but sometimes.

Terrible fight IQ. Possibly the worst I've ever seen at the end of a fight.
But it happens soooo often, that's the crazy part. Classic example is back in the day when Patrick Cote got decisioned by Cung Le. You got outwitted by 2.5 rounds by the technically superior fighter, you got an iron chin and a power in your hands, why not just fucking go for it and create chaos in the last 2 minutes of the fight and give yourself a chance. Cote also handily and happily lost to Anderson Silva. At the start of 3rd round (I think) he held up 3 fingers and smiled, like it was some moral victory that he wasn't finished yet, even though he was doing shit.

Jack Hermansson vs Thales Leites is an example when a fighter shows true grit. Jack hurt his ribs or something in the third and was in danger of losing by injury, but he bit down on his mouth piece, went for it and gnp' Leites out for a win, that's how you ought to do it.

Barlow rd 1. Quinlan did have some moments though.

R1: Barlow may have landed more strikes on paper, but I like what I saw from Quinlan. Barlow's striking defense in the pocket is booty cheeks.

1-0 Barlow. The speed and pop is starting to diminish, and Quinlan is far more sound defensively (not head movement, but actually having his hands up)

Quinlan has chin and defesively responsible enough. I d pick him in some brawls but he isnt good in a outside fight. Needs more chances. Too inactive.

looks like Barlow’s jab broke Josh’s orbital bone. Very similar to what GSP did to Koshchrck

2-0 Barlow. I had a prefight bet on Barlow ML and was going to hedge after the 1st because I thought the momentum was changing.
Everything stayed even and Barlow seemed to get better as the 2nd went, so I didn't.

Quinlan should grapple Barlow's ground game is still basic.
He tried once there. Telegraphed shot that Barlow stuffed easily.

I think just the difference in athleticism is too much.

men every fight is more boring that the other...

Dayum he wrecked his eye.

Quinlan with balls of steel coming out trying to make shit happen. Wish more fighters did that

Lol Quinlan decided now or never and paid the price.

Back