UFC Fight Night - Smith vs Spann - Offical discussion

If lipski doesn´t win this she doesn´t belong in the UFC. The UFC likely wants to keep her however, and think finally people are underestimating Lipski a bit too much. MDLR vs Lipski was as free money as it can get, and Lipski has been very overrated due to hype and looks vs JoJo and Meatball, but at +100 and pickem all the value lies with Lipski.

Lipski also starts out well, so there will be time to likely buyout for livebets and switch sides if needed.

You guys are trolling me surely? Bohm is one of the biggest locks I’ve ever seen in WMMA and there’s been plenty. I’ve not been this confident in a bet since gambling against CM Punk all those years ago.

Genuinely pumped for Saturday, just to see her climb into the cage, get the W and bring me my profit.

The proof is in the pudding as they say, so here’s my slip. Feel free to show yours.

BA20A43F-EA3B-4440-AB2E-B4D79AB3CD55.jpeg

Only plays so far, those lines are a bet generous, as I shopped around. I have a lot more on Bellator this week surprisingly, and I think Phil Davis fights right around when Smith does.

More than likely going to add to Cutelaba. I'm very familiar with Clark and his skill set, I'll break down the fight tomorrow. Short version is Ion shrugs TDs early and lands the bigger shots standing.

Even gassed, I think Ion still won't have many problems with Clark.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210916-133703.jpg
    Screenshot_20210916-133703.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20210916-134011_FOX Bet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210916-134011_FOX Bet.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 17
You guys are trolling me surely? Bohm is one of the biggest locks I’ve ever seen in WMMA and there’s been plenty. I’ve not been this confident in a bet since gambling against CM Punk all those years ago.

Genuinely pumped for Saturday, just to see her climb into the cage, get the W and bring me my profit.

The proof is in the pudding as they say, so here’s my slip. Feel free to show yours.

View attachment 880094
This will be the one to get you out of that van by the river, Bubby!

View attachment 880094

Holy shit a 4 euro bet. I would have never believed you if you didn't show your slip!

View attachment 880094
thats confidence!!

Only plays so far, those lines are a bet generous, as I shopped around. I have a lot more on Bellator this week surprisingly, and I think Phil Davis fights right around when Smith does.

More than likely going to add to Cutelaba. I'm very familiar with Clark and his skill set, I'll break down the fight tomorrow. Short version is Ion shrugs TDs early and lands the bigger shots standing.

Even gassed, I think Ion still won't have many problems with Clark.
Don't know about that tbh, Ion's game gets so bad when he gasses out that I expect Clark to be able to do what he did to Alonzo and Darko, and grind out a win.

Also have to keep in mind that Devin never loses consecutive fights, so you'll be betting against fate too.

What does this mean?
Lipski struggles against wrestlers/pressure clinch fighters and Bohm is mostly a striker from what I've seen. I think Lipski fucks her up pretty badly actually.

Bohm grapples in pretty much every fight.

my 2c on the rest of the fights, ones I haven't mentioned I have 0 interest in.

Alpar/Erin: Was looking for an avenue of playing Alpar due to value and low-level WMMA, but I think Alpar is just shit to be honest. Her only path is to cage grind for 3 rounds and spam takedowns. I honestly think Erin can take her down and it wont be good after that. Erin has had grappling success against Hansen and Cortez as a 19 and 20-year-old with a purple belt. Shes a black belt now and who knows how much she is improving at such a young age. Better striking in the open, and she is ok at getting off the cage and off her back. Alpar dropping down first time in ages and has money for a proper camp, so we will see improvement no doubt, but don't think it will be enough. Some lines I like, Erin by SUB/DEC is 1.70 on points bet, not sure why Ko is more favoured she has no power and Alpar is tough, only Ko loss to JRC who is on another level with her standup and bigger. If Erin goes down she has a very active guard and looks for subs on top too. Sub is paying 6.00.

Pannie/Rocky: Rocky is the side. Pannie can win a 29-28 at best here by sticking and moving and having more volume. Rocky is durable, good counters and has decent pop on her punches. If she is smart she can win every round and look like a bigger favourite than the odds. She can bully Pennie in the clinch, but I think she can also outstrike her. Pennie is very hittable in the pocket when throwing her combinations and Rocky has the exact style to counter her. Pannie also dosent check kicks and is always heavy on that front foot with her boxing style. Davis chewed her leg up and if Rocky is smart she will too. Rocky also has an endless gas tank which is good for her style if she chooses to grapple early.

Giagos/Arman: Obviously line is super wide here. Think Giagos is a very underrated fighter when fresh. Good everywhere, great wrestling, decent power mixes his strikes up. If he could have extended his domination over Klose in the second round by a minute he could have been on a 5 fight win streak. Unfortunately, he always gasses bad so impossible to bank on him. I played Arman RD3/DEC here for not even a unit to win 0.5u. Lil bit of a regret trying to be cheeky with not the greatest prop odds, but if you think
Arman wins at a high clip, you get better odds and he is a decision machine. Round 3 avoids the sweat from Giagos dying and is if Giagos gets an upset so be it less than a unit loss.

Bohm/Lipski: God help me im on Lipski for half a unit. Thought I would be on Bohm due to her somewhat ok ground game that she goes for on occasion. But man there is a big athletism difference here. Hands low, very hittable, leans straight back, and has no punching power of her own. Say what you will Lipski cracks in the first. You see the panic in Antoninas and MDL's eyes when she connected on them. Luckily they have a clinch or ground game to reply on. She blitzed Carolina easly and almost Koed Padua. Padua is a solid black belt who grapples a lot when not doing MMA. Lipski spent all 3 rounds on the ground with her, almost got subbed end of first, in the second she got a reversal from the bottom with the deep half which was impressive. She also tried it on Antonina but she was too strong on top. I think Lispski has a somewhat ok jits game, it looks shit against a higher level of competition, but dont think Bohm is that. Only problem is to this day Lipski still sees RED, gets super aggressive and gives up the easiest takedown. I am assuming that wont be fixed here, but at pick-em odds I like her chances considering every fight starts standing.

Cutelaba/Clark: Taped this fight looking for value on Cutelaba RD1. Left not being too sold on it, but ended up with 2u on his Moneyline which I was against before. Same as Alpar fight, I see Clark winning a 29/28 decision at best. He might get Koed early, he absolutely shits himself in these kinds of fights and has admitted it. Cutelaba has great takedown defence and Clarks wrestling aint great. He has a great explosive shot but no real penetration. Its like it stops once he hits some resistance. If it ends up in the clinch Cutelaba will be chipping away on him with dirty boxing, knees ,elbows. Unlike Stosic and Minefield, Cutelaba actually has good output and I would say better cardio than both. Had Stosic ( wishful thinking as a fan ) and I thought he was one good punch away from winning 2 rounds to 1 with absolutely no volume. Had Minefield RD1 KO and Clark DEC for profit either way, and was nervous with Clark letting Minefield hold him against the cage for most of rounds 2 and 3. Cutelaba looked great in Glover fight, he was slowing down in the second, and was a bit more hittable, but was still stuffing takedowns and keeping his aggression up. All fell apart when he slipped and gave his back but we have seen Glover do that over and over. Had a live bet on Jacoby after the first, was sweating with how close Ion kept the last 2 rounds close despite wrestling so much in the first. He is 27 I think he is improving from fight to fight, will be good to have a drop down in competition. I have a lil hedge on Clark by decision, and planning to potentialy use the cash-out option if its looking sweaty in the second.

Prelims Part 1

Whitmire vs Goldy

Neither of these fighters are particularly good, though I do think Goldy has potential to be, especially when given less stylistically difficult matchups. She’s at her best when she’s able to probe at range, develop reads and utilize her powerful kicks and punches from angles. She’s got solid conventional technique as far as range kickboxing goes but there’s a disconnect in her boxing component. She’s got that street fight punch and lean to her when boxing that makes her off balance and unable to counter, even worse is because she’s usually at a reach disadvantage; it allows opponents to string shots together while she’s off-balance. This’s been exacerbated by her first two matchups being with long, technical punchers, Belbita especially is a very well put together kickboxer who’s technique along with her range enabled her to T Goldy up.

I don’t believe Whitmire will be able to replicate this gameplan though. She’s also at her best in the rangier distances, but unlike Goldy who is a true distance kickboxer, Whitmire is a traditional martial artist waiting for moments to dart in or land with unconventional counters from a deep stance. This matchup is gonna pose a few problems for Whitmire. Firstly while Goldy isn’t adept in the pocket for prolonged exchanges, she’s not bad at all countering and circling out in spots and even with her leaning strikes, she’s able to generate good power on these hooks. Whitemires lack of power to really threaten damage on top of her very typical shit karate defense should lead to her being on the losing end of these dart ins more often then not. Secondly, she’s simply a worse range fighter. She doesn’t feint often, is too reactive to feints and shots coming at her which causes her to sit down into her stance and leaves her very open to leg kicks, doesn’t use ring management to create effective angles for her striking which makes her entries predictable and worst of all for her style, doesn’t shift her weight on her kicks. While decently fast and creative, they lack any semblance of power. This isn’t what you want when looking at having a kicking fight with a bricked up Goldie who sits through every kick.

Both fighters use grappling as a safe space and neither are adept at setting up or completing takedowns. They’re very different in how they approach the clinch and both have advantages they could leverage. Whitmire is obviously the longer fighter which is a very big strength to have when talking about clinch range. She uses this along with ties to set up takedown angles but doesn’t strike out of them often. The issue is she isn’t very adept at it and this can cause her to create big imbalances in her own stance. On the other end Goldy plays it safe and keeps her hips strong and square to the opponent while hand framing to strike. Who wins here could vary during the fight but I think Goldy wins more often than not simply being the more consistent and physically stronger grappler, as well as clinch striking just looks better than winning on angles without completing takedowns, of which I don’t think Whitemire will be able to do.

Keep in mind, neither of these women are particularly good and low level WMMA like low level HW can be very volatile. That said I feel like Whitemire doesn’t have the timing, power or boxing technique to take advantage of Goldy’s biggest weaknesses whereas Goldy definitely does have the ability to capitalize on Whitemire’s lack of defense and craft. Goldy is the pick.

Lopez vs Alateng

This should be a good upright fight, one in which I see Lopez likely doing more to win. Lopez has a good active, boxer-puncher movement. He can fight moving backwards and forwards and is actively feinting for the opening. His overhand is well timed but sloppy and available for the counter, his check hook though is fantastic. Real quick and tight with good power. He has a lot of foot feints and switches built into his rhythm but this will leave him off balance occasionally, though I think someone as footslow as Alateng will struggle to track him down to punish this.

With Alateng, he really needs to be able to enforce himself to win. He’s got powerful, straight counters but his footwork is too heavy and unrefined to set this up like a conventional counterstriker. What he really thrives in is being able to pressure forward into boxing range and then draw out strikes that he can counter. This is a tough sell against someone with footwork as elaborate as Lopez. Furthermore, his backwards defense leaves a lot to be desired, certainly against setups involving hooks, somewhere I see Lopez taking advantage. His body is also open a lot due to keeping his hands high for both his defense and offensive gameplan, this isn’t terrible against Lopez who’s not much of a body puncher and who’s body kicks are somewhat lazy, though it is a vulnerability that could definitely show late if he tires.

More than anything, Lopez is a more active, round winning fighter who’s ability to operate in multiple ranges really creates a narrow window for Alateng to enforce his gameplan. Alateng is gonna need big shots to win rounds and while Lopez can be tagged with straight shots, it’s gonna require more craft and timing than I believe Alateng has. I expect to see Lopez out maneuvering him on the feet, pushing the pace and landing more counters. Lopez is the pick.

Impa vs Harris

This fight really comes down to whether Harris can take Impa down. Impa is certainly the better striker here with a good pressure counter game and can fight coming forward as well. The caveat to that is his volume striking game is built around the takedown and that simply won’t be available here. Impa relies on the shot for his game and against a long, savy grappler that Loves front chokes, it’s around the worst thing he can do. That means I expect to see Impa try to methodically pressure and draw out Harris’s looping shots. The issue there is Impa is lead leg heavy when he’s in this stance and uses more of a shoulder roll to avoid strikes rather than his feet, this isn’t what you want when you’re looking at a guy pathologically addicted to shooting and clinching. Range is the greatest takedown defense of all and I don’t see Impa being able to utilize that.

Harris is gonna shoot, it’s a certainty and I’m very confident he’s gonna get in on a takedown. His actual technique once he’s in the clinch is really messy. He relies on his strength and length vs creating strong leverages or trips. This might be hard against Impa who’s very strong in his own right. There’s something to be said for dogged grappling effort though and I think with Harris being adept out of the shot and the clinch along with the pressure his front choke game and length creates, I think he’ll likely getting Impa down at some point, from there getting up is a spiders web of threats. Carlston also has some pretty crazy power in his hands, which land more due to the threat of the TD, certainly not do to his technique of which he basically has none. That heat should open up the takedowns though if Impa pressures forward like I believe he will.

I have no idea what Carlston looks like late nor do I know if Impa’s cardio, which is good, will hold up to defending so many grappling attempts. We could just see Carlston stuffed back a lot, gas and getting worked late. Not having his own grappling available or the ability to strike well at range along with the power disadvantage is just too much in what could end up being a tight fight. It’s a tough call but I have to lean with the advantages I see here. Carlston is the pick.

Blanchfield vs Alpar

I’m gonna pass on this one. Bad larger wrestler coming in against BJJ fighter who has pretty overrated striking sounds awful. I’d take Blanchfield at better odds but I’m not laying -350 on anyone who could get ground against the cage or put on her back for 2 of 3 rounds. Blanchfield probably wins because she better almost everywhere but absolutely not worth a bet at these odds. Pass.

Prelims Part 2

Jackson vs J.P Buys

Like I said earlier, range is the best takedown defense and Montel should have that here. An 8.5 inch reach advantage while being a significantly better striker in all regards and an infinitely better athlete. This might seem like not criminal matchup because of Montel’s struggle with grapplers but those are full size bantamweights who posses UFC caliber technique. J.P is neither and should be getting absolutely stomped here. The line reflects this obviously at -650. I’ll probably parlay it with something near evens for a plus money bet. Montel is the pick.

Motta vs VanCamp

Wooo, VanCamp is a wild boy. He doesn’t move his head much and is definitely hittable when it turns into a brawl but man does he go out to fight. He’s a big lightweight at a decently muscled 6’1, has a diverse arsenal of strikes and a very well timed shot. His grappling game is where he shines at his current level, just very opportunistic and leverages his length well with front chokes and strong frames in the clinch. His footwork is a mess and the man is mostly just looking to T off and take a takedown if it presents itself, flying knees, turning elbows, power straights, he throws it all with reckless abandon. Even his top game is all risk taking with somewhat loose pressure that allows him to float around positions. He’s looks to sweep off his back rather than sub, which is good to see though his defensive vulnerabilities don’t bode well at the next level.

On the other side you have Motta who keeps a high guard and semi upright (which becomes more upright as the fight goes on) exclusively. He really relies a lot on that high guard because his head is entirely static and he uses his explosive offense as defense. While he occasionally blasts a straight, he mostly comes from the Jon Lineker School of Power Hooks and Other Good Things Too. Though he lacks Linekers iron chin and non-stop pressure, choosing instead to circle until he sees an opening and bursting forward. Everything strike he throws is an all out shot with no real connective tissue to hold his game together. I will say he has excellent timing and range on his hooks that somewhat makes up for the defensive positioning and tight pocket footwork I’d like to see accompany them.

Motta is certainly the cleaner striker but neither are very good in the technical sense. I think both will really struggle at the UFC level if they don’t begin closing their respective deficits. As far as this fight though, I favor VanCamp. He potentially could get blasted over and over with hooks via how bad hangs his chin out, but I see his large length advantage and grappling threat being enough to make entering difficult for Motta. In the clinch his ability to frame should especially make the 5’8 fighter feel the physicality difference. The last big reason for me is the way Motta enters via bursting combined with his narrow stance makes him open for a timed shot from VanCamp at any moment. At nearly +250 between 2 low quality fighters, it’s not a hard decision, Van Camp is the pick.

Rong vs Jenkins

Man, this is a tough one. Both fighters kinda look to do the same thing in different ways. They’re both relaxed fighters that are at their best moving forward, feinting and using their excellent timing to piece their opponents apart. They both also can end up conceding the initiative and coasting off their backfoot, where both of them are not as effective.

Jenkins is more creative and loose, he can parry but uses good pocket footwork and great head movement to slip shots. The vast majority of his shots are for volume and reads, he looks more to break opponents down in the long run vs putting on power shots. That said he has a flying knee ko and a spinning elbow ko, both were excellently timed and executed, so he’s not lacking finishing potential. He leverages his length into great range management and a relentless low kick. I both Love and hate his low kick, it’s so well timed and typically happens right after the opponent steps, limiting their ability to counter back. He can also through from both stances to the front or rear, inside or outside. What I hate is that he doesn’t defend while throwing it nor does he set it up with strikes, opting to rely on his timing instead of disguising the naked kick. This could be potential for disaster against a heavy handed counter striker like Rong.

Rong’s a lot more conventional in what he’s trying to do. He keeps his hands mostly up and when he’s moving forward with his versatile jab, he’s able to really capitalize on openings, especially with his tight hooks. He’s also got a powerful wrestling game in his pocket that isn’t entirely fleshed out but is functional off his timing and power. I don’t like how available the leg kick is against him, especially against someone as relentless with it as Jenkins but I do think he’ll adjust to it, especially if he can get some forward momentum.

This fight is gonna come down to who can move forward. Jenkins has the length, volume and tighter footwork but Rong has more effortless power and the power wrestling. It’s hard to tell since both have a habit of conceding this but I do think Jenkins is better moving backwards than Rong is. Rong likely has a tougher chin but Jenkins isn’t a slouch in that department. I think it’s somewhat more likely that Rong lands a power counter at some point behind the looser, more slip reliant guard of Jenkins or effectively wrestles. If he moves backwards though his wrestling will be very hard to implement, Jenkins is highly poised and relaxed in his movement so landing a reactive double won’t be nearly as easy as a blast double while moving forward. All in all, while I lean Rong here, I see a strong path for Jenkins as well and at +250 I have to take the value shot. Jenkins is the pick.

Pennington vs Kianzad

I’m not doing this one. Partially because it’s a WMMA fight with two gritty females that’ll probably be a sweat out regardless of who you picked but mostly because I don’t enjoy watching either of these fighters at all. Pass.

Rodriguez vs Nchukwi

This fight’s gonna come down to who can enforce their gameplan the best, but neither fighter is particularly good at it. Rodriguez has all the measurables to give Tafon fits. He’s long, fights tall and has good timing and range on his strikes. If he was a more adept counterstriker, actually used his jab more or had good rangey footwork, I’d say he had this fight in the bag. Sadly he doesn’t do any of that. He does use his legs very actively as range-keepers, lots of long leg kicks and teeps with the occasional straight shot. The only thing he really sits down on though is his body kick, which could be hard to land clean on such a stout opponent. His biggest problems going into this are his retreating footwork, a rough backpedal that’ll feed right into Tafon putting him against the fence and his lack of raw strength both at range and in the clinch. Without good movement he needs some power to dissuade Tafon from just rocking forward, he doesn’t have it. His clinchwork is actually fantastic, he uses leverages well and maximizes his height advantage with driving knees and elbows. It’s going to be difficult to do this though when you have a massively strong bully sucking you in tight with much shorter levers to drive the body shots that both fighters want.

On the other end you have Tafon who is one of the most footslow fighters I’ve ever seen. This is somewhat purposeful as his shambling footwork conserves energy and allows him to slowly corral opponents into the fence. Once he does get into clinch range he has brutal body head combos with a very tight uppercut. Optimally he beats his opponents around and can land his power high kick as they try to laterally exit. His game’s added hard leg kicks too but it’s still lacking a way to enter the pocket that doesn’t involve slowly walking headfirst into jabs like a mini tank.

Assuming neither made a giant leap, I lean Tafon here. The reach advantage cuts both ways and having significantly longer arms is a hindrance when the shorter fighter gets in tight and I think Tafon will. I don’t think Rod has the technical ability to leverage his physical advantages into the kind of fighter that would really challenge Tafon’s lack of mobility, entrances or ringcraft. Maybe he surprises me and is more footfast and circular, maybe his teep and leg kick are enough to perplex Tafon or maybe Tafon just bullies him around landing two or three in tight for every one or two Rod lands at range and is too strong and low in the clinch. I’m gonna go with the latter, Tafon is the pick.

Main Card

Buckley vs Arroyo

I’m really going back and forth on this one. One thing I’m certain of is either Arroyo gets a knockout or he loses. The problem is, the chance of him doing that is decent. Buckley will continue to struggle with length at this weight class. Despite his mega long arms, he’s still a 5’10 Middleweight that lacks a lot of craft to set up his entrances and dexterous kickers. Instead opting to dip and slip in to crash with big power. These same weaves that he enters with are the same thing that leave him so available to the headkick, something we’ve seen landed on him several times. He isn’t just a power brawler and has an array of kicks of his own as well as a nasty one too that comes unexpectedly long, it’s just difficult to leverage these tools when he’s having to hunt longer kickers around the cage.

You know who also throws a ton of headkicks? Antonio Arroyo, it’s actually one of the few real threats he has, since he’s painfully low volume and overtly lackadaisical in the ring. He really relies a lot on his range and getting his hands up at the last second for defense, something that’ll be difficult against someone as explosively and deceptively long as Buckley. He’s got fantastic control of his kicks though, throws them at all levels and can blend them together. I really don’t see him winning many fights in this division unless he adds some filler to his game and specifically some striking defense but this is a somewhat winnable fight if only due to Buckley’s weaknesses.

That said though, I have a hard time betting someone who I think won’t win rounds. For Buckley’s problems covering range and getting his head kicked off, I still feel like he’s got the ability to win a decision or score a KO on the hands down fighter, especially when Arroyo forgets the length difference and likely eats something hot while floating backwards. Hopefully Buckley’s learned from his mistakes and doesn’t get starched instead. Buckley is the pick.

Maness vs Gravely

This is another one that doesn’t require a lot of writing. Tony is simply too powerful of a wrestler for someone that was struggling with Johnny Munoz. His shot is lightning quick, he chains relentlessly and he has a colossal athleticism advantage. Most impressive to me is the speed at which he’s become comfortable with striking. The jump he made between Freitas and Birchak is just incredibly impressive. You saw a little bit of what could be there in the Freitas fight with his rhythm, power and timing but there was a big lack of confidence and muscle memory in his defensive movements. Against Birchak he was throwing effortlessly with real precision and an understanding of what’s available. When you combine that with a good chin and relentless cardio, he’s a problem. A problem I don’t think Maness is gonna be able to solve. Gravely is the pick.

Bohm vs Lipski

I’m really surprised this line is what it is because I think Lipski is gonna tee off on Bohm and it’s only gonna get worse the longer the fight goes. Bohm isn’t a grappler, she’s a Thai influenced MMA kickboxer and not a particularly good one at that. Her best weapons are her clinch and her lowkick, both of which are gonna be rendered mute against a much more experienced Thai fighter in Lipski. Her punches are slow and loose and her defense is simple. She’s feasted on terrible opponents but she’s running headfirst into an actual athlete that’s got advantages essentially everywhere this fight goes.

Lipski has sharp straight punches, is able to pivot and drive low kicks and can leverage a dangerous clinch game. She checks kicks instinctively and has layers defensively that’ll need to be negotiated by a much slower, weaker opponent. The elephant in the room is obviously her terrible takedown defense but Bohm is a pretty terrible wrestler in her own right. Furthermore, I expect some big gains from Lipski now that she’s training at ATT with high level grapplers.

This fight should play out with Bohm walking into a lot of strikes while she looks for single shots of her own. I think as Lipski develops her reads, we’ll see Bohm struggle more and more for anything clean while eating strikes at all levels. At some point Bohm will begin regularly looking for the TD and if she can complete it, then Lipski needs to get cut. I don’t foresee that happening though. Lipski is the pick.

Clark vs Cutelaba

I’m not gonna waste a lot of time writing this up. I don’t believe Devin can hold Ion down, I think he’s gonna struggle to take him down at all. Devin has terrible striking, no power and is exclusively a wrestler without having any of the top game threats behind it. He doesn’t even have fantastic cardio or overwhelming strength to implement a grinding affair against anyone decent. Furthermore I wouldn’t be stunned to see Ion take him down from the clinch. I think Ion stuffs him and swarms him on the feet. Ion is the pick.

Smith vs Spann

This is a pretty easy fight, either Spann finishes early or he loses and I don’t think he’s finishing early. He’s got fantastic power but that’s really his best trait. His wrestling game is built on it, his striking is built on it, his game is held together by his athleticism. Once he tires, he’s gonna be in there with one of the most savvy fighters in the game who continues to learn and grow from fight to fight. Spann may have moments in the first two rounds when he’s fresh and twitchy but hes gonna have to earn everything he wants.

On the feet, Smith is levels better. He utilizes a wide variety of strikes to the top and bottom, uses excellent shifting footwork and can go from cutting an angle to creating volume seamlessly. Add in the intercepting jab he showed off in his most recent fight and Spann, who already has a tendency to stare, is gonna be flummoxed. He isn’t particularly difficult to takedown but Spann doesn’t have a lot of craft once he’s in on the shot that could make defending easier. Actually being on the mat with Smith is an entirely different ball game, one that I don’t believe Spann will be able to negotiate for 3 out of 5 rounds safely, if he’s even able to take him down beyond the 2nd. Smith is incredibly slick and dexterous off his back, able to work in a conventional, high and rubber guard well. The rubber guard especially will be a pain for Spann as it’ll stifle whatever ground and pound he’s looking to land and sap his energy while he rides out the position.

Spann is just not a very natural striker, despite his speed and power. He lacks fundamental aspects of his game like a comfortable rhythm and the connective tissue to set up his shots. He looks uncomfortable standing in space while he processes what’s happening in front of him. His defense consists of trying to hop out of the way and tagging him isn’t difficult at all. Offensively he slowly pressures and then explodes or waits for the counter. To his credit, his counters have good timing but against Smith, these openings are gonna be more and more difficult to read. I expect him to try and pressure Smith to the cage for a shot but this could be easier said than done and he’ll most likely eat strikes once he’s there as he doesn’t understand how to chain wrestle as much as he wants to just yank his opponent down. This leaves him vulnerable to the counter shots we’ve seen him eat several times while looking to finish his takedown.

All in all I just don’t see any phase he is going to be able to win without having to work very hard. Whether it’s hunting Smith down in space, grinding for a takedown on the fence or negotiating Smith’s guard, it’s all going to require a lot of effort and tax his poor cardio. Then you add in Spann’s atrocious fight IQ and the later rounds just become increasingly difficult to win. Smith isn’t unbeatable by any means but you have to be genuinely great to do so, Spann isn’t. Smith is the pick.

What does this mean?
Lipski struggles against wrestlers/pressure clinch fighters and Bohm is mostly a striker from what I've seen. I think Lipski fucks her up pretty badly actually.
LIpski is a fraud, the narrative that she only loses to wrestlers is false, she does not move her head and she has terrible footwork in general. I wouldn't be surprised if Bohm jabs her face off. But it's hard to gauge how good Bohm is really, not a lot of footage of her. But being confident in Lipski here after so many disappointing performances vs a great variety of fighters is kinda dicy. Bohm showed decent clinchwork against Eeckhout but again hard to say what that really means.

Don't know about that tbh, Ion's game gets so bad when he gasses out that I expect Clark to be able to do what he did to Alonzo and Darko, and grind out a win.

Also have to keep in mind that Devin never loses consecutive fights, so you'll be betting against fate too.
Fighters never lose consecutive fights....until they do. Randa had a win-loss checker pattern for most of her career until she lost 4 in a row. I never really got this sort of argument to be honest. Unless someone has deeper reasoning why a fighter has a certain win/loss pattern it's basically going off superstition. Same for when a fighter has a new-born, they magically get extra dad-powers. Or how Jake Paul's crew insulting Woodley's mom would finally light a fire under Woodley's ass.

Fighters never lose consecutive fights....until they do. Randa had a win-loss checker pattern for most of her career until she lost 4 in a row. I never really got this sort of argument to be honest. Unless someone has deeper reasoning why a fighter has a certain win/loss pattern it's basically going off superstition. Same for when a fighter has a new-born, they magically get extra dad-powers. Or how Jake Paul's crew insulting Woodley's mom would finally light a fire under Woodley's ass.
I was joking about that part, lol.

any interesting tidbits from the interviews leading up to this card? I think it was @Card who would put those up sometimes but I felt like they can give you some good info every now n again

Honestly loving this card for betting

Maness +170 against Gravely makes no sense.
Nchukwi and Pennington at even are solid plays.
How is Zhu Rong -300 after his last horrible performance?
Carlston Harris at even is the right side. His strength of schedule is very impressive.

Back