UFC Fight Night - Strickland vs Hermansson - Official discussion

Strickland isn't a gasser like Shabazyan though, who took the first round against Hermansson. I think you're going to see a retread of the Hermansson/Vettori fight, where Strickland wrestle-boxes his way to a pretty clear decision win.

What recent performances from Hermansson merit the confidence in him? The sub on Gastelum was fun but I doubt he hits it on Strickland. Out grappling what I think we can all agree now was a shadow of Jacare?

You think Strickland's grappling is really all that close to Vettori's? I kinda think Strickland has smoother, more fluid striking than Marvin but far worse (or far less proven anyway) grappling. Vettori wasn't scared of Hermannson on the mat at all. Calmly shut down all of Jack's sweep and sub attempts and got the better of him on the ground. I can't say I'd have any confidence that Strickland would fare that well. That said, I do think Strickland will have an even bigger advantage standing. He uses his jab much better and hides his punches better than Vettori does. He is one of the better guys I've seen when it comes to sliding just out of range as his opponent throws and then timing his own punches perfectly off those misses. He doesn't sit down on his shots for long stretches so he's not as dangerous as some guys when it comes to likelihood of finishing but he's a very polished MMA boxer.

I really just think this comes down to if he can keep it standing or not.

You think Strickland's grappling is really all that close to Vettori's? I kinda think Strickland has smoother, more fluid striking than Marvin but far worse (or far less proven anyway) grappling. Vettori wasn't scared of Hermannson on the mat at all. Calmly shut down all of Jack's sweep and sub attempts and got the better of him on the ground. I can't say I'd have any confidence that Strickland would fare that well. That said, I do think Strickland will have an even bigger advantage standing. He uses his jab much better and hides his punches better than Vettori does. He is one of the better guys I've seen when it comes to sliding just out of range as his opponent throws and then timing his own punches perfectly off those misses. He doesn't sit down on his shots for long stretches so he's not as dangerous as some guys when it comes to likelihood of finishing but he's a very polished MMA boxer.

I really just think this comes down to if he can keep it standing or not.
I saw some training vids of Strickland he looked good lets hope he applies of a game plan agaisnt Hermannson.
I do think Strickland swap through and win if he keeps it standing and doesn't go to the matt.

Haven't seen Sean grapple. Can any grappling aficionados fill me in on just how much better Hermansson is with his Jitz?

Strickland went from getting taken down and controlled over and over by Usman to his next fight defending 13 takedoen attempts from McGee.

But I think Strickland's TDD will be very solid here and Hermanson tends to give up on his wrestling if it's isn't successful early, he gets disheartened.

Strickland went from getting taken down and controlled over and over by Usman to his next fight defending 13 takedoen attempts from McGee.

But I think Strickland's TDD will be very solid here and Hermanson tends to give up on his wrestling if it's isn't successful early, he gets disheartened.

With Hermannson, his TD's really aren't that great anyway. The big thing is that IF he does get one, his subs are dangerous as hell. He's very aggressive going for finishes.

With Hermannson, his TD's really aren't that great anyway. The big thing is that IF he does get one, his subs are dangerous as hell. He's very aggressive going for finishes.
Yeah I don't really rate Hermannson's TD's at all, especially bad in open space. Although he has stated that he wants to focus more on his wrestling so it might have gotten better. I guess that wrassle match against Khamzat was part of the new focus as well.

Still, I think Sean will box him up fairly easily. Looked pretty strong in the clinch against Hall as well, so don't see an advantage for Jack there either.

Yeah I don't really rate Hermannson's TD's at all, especially bad in open space. Although he has stated that he wants to focus more on his wrestling so it might have gotten better. I guess that wrassle match against Khamzat was part of the new focus as well.

Still, I think Sean will box him up fairly easily. Looked pretty strong in the clinch against Hall as well, so don't see an advantage for Jack there either.

Same here. Also Sean has that weird gangly style that makes taking him down hard, or at least very tiring, and he keeps moving so it's not like you get to rest after you take him down. I could see Hermansson spending 30 seconds+ working to get a takedown, only for Sean to jump right back up before he can even attempt subs.

I hate Strickland's trash talking during the fight style, but he's a tough out at this point in his career.

I see Chidi has been bet down to a favourite over the last day or so, personally bet Chidi about 10 days ago at +140, I don't think there is any value left at the current price. I'll add my notes from tape here -

Chidi/MAB

Chidi - Definitely dangerous, fast twitch, good reflexes, lots of shoulder and hip feints, makes him a dangerous guy to come in on as the attack is loaded ad ready to be fired. Along tall guy for the division too. He uses lots of kicks, really fast snappy kicks to the head and body, and sharp straight punching. Does have issues, he does get in his own way at times, he will get tangled up in clinches and cage push often and hecan be taken down and controlled from here. Ge's not bad in the clinch or even in the wrestling and grappling but it's not a string suit and he can be wore on. Seems to hold his cardio pretty well for such a big explosive guy and can actually be pretty effective from top position too if he gets there. He will trap arms and legs and unload with sharp elbows - Dangerous but pressuarable, possibly breakable, but the takedown could be key to this.

MAB - Constant close and mid range pressure, good work rate, good dirty boxing, good uppercuts, good work with the collar tie, hits the body and just wants to keep working, keep pressuring and keep that distance throughout the fight and hope to wear his opponent down over the round. Not very quick or explosive, wouldn't call him a single shot KO fighter at all, he could land a big ine and hurt someone but generally the damage is done over time. Definition of a attritional fighter but don't like that he rarely, if ever, looks for the takedown. Doesn't shoot, doesn't use trips just wants to clinch, cage push but even more so he just stands about 2 feet away from his opponent, has them backed up to the cage just keeps on picking away from there.

This is tough, Chiti is much more dangerous in a flash moment, much faster, better technical striker, more likely guy to finish the fight and he's not completely lost in the clich or tieing up. MAB can be hit, can be hurt and can tire himself if his opponent puts up more of a fight at his range than expected - but if he gets inside to his range without eating big shots he can get into his groove and build over the rounds, plus the small cage is an advantage to him.

Straight pick'em I lean to Chiti. Chito KO maybe, Chiti KO1 maybe, MAB 3/decision maybe.

(I then checked odds) - Chitin ML +140 1 unit

im a bit ahead on tape so here's my 2c on some fights:

Shavkat/Harris: Hard fight to get a read on, but these odds have to be wide. Shavkat was a dog in his debut and then a -200 favorite over an over-the-hill Prezeres, and now he is a massive fav over his toughest opponent. I think Harris might struggle to get his takedowns, Shavkat has insane balance and a solid whizzer overhook. But in the standup alone Harris is awkward enough and has underrated power. I have seen him spark people with one punch on regionals. He has also put out fighters similar to Shavkat on regionals with his anaconda choke. Shavkat is more disciplined and I feel like the longer the fight goes the more chance he has to finish Harris who seems to be a bit wilder and slow down late. I'm sprinkling the number here small out of principle alone. Both guys are finishing machines so possible the under prop is in play, but no doubt will be juiced.

Gordon/Bondar: Hard to get a read on Bondar but it's clear his wrestling and top control is insane. Especially his knee on belly control. Even though Gordon is a black belt, I feel like eventually he gasses out and gets finished on the bottom. Gordon went to war with Figgis shitter brother, I dont think either guys are UFC lvl in all honesty. Bondar has some nice technical striking as well, but Gordon could land something if he lets his hands go. I am surprised these odds haven't been juiced even more, maybe because Bondar doesn't have a Dagi name lol.

Dawodu/Trizano: Man Dawodu is so bodring to tape. So many split decisions due to his point fighting style. Trizano is pretty similar actually, technical, one strike at a time, mostly jabs and leg kicks. Dawodu is more athletic and most likely hits harder. Dog or pass for me, I see a close striking battle here, not sure if I will hit Trizano as I could be underestimating Dawodus credentials, he has fought good competition and done well. Over will be juiced but will be interesting to see where it's at.

Johns/Sexy Mexy: Taped a lottttt of Castenada's fights, trying to find his wrestling defense. We talking 15 fights at least. He can be taken down, but he is great at scrambling back up asap. In fact, he wins most of his fights by incorporating his own takedowns and is good at sinking the hooks in. The problem is when he is fighting a higher lvl of competition and he can't wrestle them, he doesn't put much of a stamp on fights with his standup. He has nice combinations and underrated power, but a lot of the time he fights like he is sparing. He got 30-27ed by Wood, and was losing the first round convincingly to Winland before getting a KO. Jons fights like a weasel, he uses his speed and athletism to constantly back up and avoid strikes, and steals rounds with his big power or wrestling. His striking has improved recently to the point he can mix it up, he can land leg kicks, or body shots, and chip away until the big power shot opens up. He hits like a truck and his wrestling is great, but he's very gassy and not a fan of pressure. Castenada has great durability and cardio, so I think he will be there for 3 rounds putting on the pressure, but because he won't be able to get his wrestling off not sure I want to hit him. It's for sure wide, but Johns is improving and I underestimated him before. I feel like Sexy needs to clip him hard to steal a round or for Johns to gass badly. Maybe a live bet would be better.

im a bit ahead on tape so here's my 2c on some fights:

Shavkat/Harris: Hard fight to get a read on, but these odds have to be wide. Shavkat was a dog in his debut and then a -200 favorite over an over-the-hill Prezeres, and now he is a massive fav over his toughest opponent. I think Harris might struggle to get his takedowns, Shavkat has insane balance and a solid whizzer overhook. But in the standup alone Harris is awkward enough and has underrated power. I have seen him spark people with one punch on regionals. He has also put out fighters similar to Shavkat on regionals with his anaconda choke. Shavkat is more disciplined and I feel like the longer the fight goes the more chance he has to finish Harris who seems to be a bit wilder and slow down late. I'm sprinkling the number here small out of principle alone. Both guys are finishing machines so possible the under prop is in play, but no doubt will be juiced.

Gordon/Bondar: Hard to get a read on Bondar but it's clear his wrestling and top control is insane. Especially his knee on belly control. Even though Gordon is a black belt, I feel like eventually he gasses out and gets finished on the bottom. Gordon went to war with Figgis shitter brother, I dont think either guys are UFC lvl in all honesty. Bondar has some nice technical striking as well, but Gordon could land something if he lets his hands go. I am surprised these odds haven't been juiced even more, maybe because Bondar doesn't have a Dagi name lol.

Dawodu/Trizano: Man Dawodu is so bodring to tape. So many split decisions due to his point fighting style. Trizano is pretty similar actually, technical, one strike at a time, mostly jabs and leg kicks. Dawodu is more athletic and most likely hits harder. Dog or pass for me, I see a close striking battle here, not sure if I will hit Trizano as I could be underestimating Dawodus credentials, he has fought good competition and done well. Over will be juiced but will be interesting to see where it's at.

Johns/Sexy Mexy: Taped a lottttt of Castenada's fights, trying to find his wrestling defense. We talking 15 fights at least. He can be taken down, but he is great at scrambling back up asap. In fact, he wins most of his fights by incorporating his own takedowns and is good at sinking the hooks in. The problem is when he is fighting a higher lvl of competition and he can't wrestle them, he doesn't put much of a stamp on fights with his standup. He has nice combinations and underrated power, but a lot of the time he fights like he is sparing. He got 30-27ed by Wood, and was losing the first round convincingly to Winland before getting a KO. Jons fights like a weasel, he uses his speed and athletism to constantly back up and avoid strikes, and steals rounds with his big power or wrestling. His striking has improved recently to the point he can mix it up, he can land leg kicks, or body shots, and chip away until the big power shot opens up. He hits like a truck and his wrestling is great, but he's very gassy and not a fan of pressure. Castenada has great durability and cardio, so I think he will be there for 3 rounds putting on the pressure, but because he won't be able to get his wrestling off not sure I want to hit him. It's for sure wide, but Johns is improving and I underestimated him before. I feel like Sexy needs to clip him hard to steal a round or for Johns to gass badly. Maybe a live bet would be better.
I didn't like Castenada's wrestling defense in the DWCS he looked awful against an unknown hawaii fighter. i think Johns has more tools here to work with, more power like you said. I can see this fight going to a UD 30-27 Miles

I'm Trizano all day here. He has smoother boxing and a nice 3 inch height advantage, his frame also looks bigger. he looks like he fights 15lb heavier than Dawodu. Another thing I found out through the ufc athlete page is that Mike is a 13-2 kick boxer with several amatuer titles. while Dawodu has some nice muay thai credentials, this is going to be the first time he runs into a fellow striker that can keep up with him. its going to be a competitive fight, im 60/40 leaning on mike.

I didn't like Castenada's wrestling defense in the DWCS he looked awful against an unknown hawaii fighter. i think Johns has more tools here to work with, more power like you said. I can see this fight going to a UD 30-27 Miles

I'm Trizano all day here. He has smoother boxing and a nice 3 inch height advantage, his frame also looks bigger. he looks like he fights 15lb heavier than Dawodu. Another thing I found out through the ufc athlete page is that Mike is a 13-2 kick boxer with several amatuer titles. while Dawodu has some nice muay thai credentials, this is going to be the first time he runs into a fellow striker that can keep up with him. its going to be a competitive fight, im 60/40 leaning on mike.

Probably more value on Trizano decision if you're leaning that way, I'd be surpised to see a finish either way

I think I'm overly confident in Hawes. He should win on activity alone and has a good chance of outright stopping Smilin' Sam but is also one or two check rights from rolling his eyes back and taking a nap on live television.

I think I'm overly confident in Hawes. He should win on activity alone and has a good chance of outright stopping Smilin' Sam but is also one or two check rights from rolling his eyes back and taking a nap on live television.
Hawes at those odds is dangerous territory

The line for Jailton is downright filthy, but there's value on the under 1.5 I think. Might also throw something at his KO line since Marques is a fellow grappler and he might take the path of least resistance by smashing away with elbows.

Any reason not to bet Davis? Stoliarenko is that one girl who only hunts armbars, right? Can't see that going well against a BJJ BB.

Been a while since i was on Sherdog, great to see some legit content in here at least.
Well done guys.<RomeroSalute>
There are some good users on here that breakdown all the fights quick every week. Much props and respects to them.

There are those who say that Sam "Smilin Sam" is that type of fighter when he is the underdog he will diffidently fight hard for your money. He seems like a good fighter i hope he wins. But Hawes could have a bit more tools to win the fight match.

Back