UFC FN 128 - Barboza vs Lee - Atlantic City

I had a dream last night that Sherman's mouthguard fell out, and he tried to pick it up mid-fight just to get blasted by Willis and RNC'd while he was rocked. The ref said it was his fault for not defending himself at all times.

15u on Willis.

Not sure why youre always so defensive bruh. I'm telling the truth am I not? Theres no wrestling in the UK. You can't take wrestling as a sport in UK schools. Gotta learn to chill bruh.

And its a three round fight. If virus Merab went that hard over 15 with a NCAA wrestler, he has better cardio than Simon whos example is controlling Camus for most of the fight before slowing a bit. You might have to travel far since UK has no one that can wrestle, but find somewhere with someone who can so you can have a deeper perspective here

I take any virus talk etc with a pinch of salt. If you gonna fight shut the fuck up and dont make excuses win or lose. I think merab gonna need a bit more than lnp to beat simon but we shall say. His style is a bit 2000 for my taste. Simon is the future just hope he doesnt get blanketed here.

I'd be surprised if Simon wins any way but a close decision.

Sound reasoning so far, but it's not very specific. Is Nakamura markedly better at any mode of combat? How does he actually match up in style? Takedowns, TDD, counterpunching, leg kicks, cardio, power, chin, pressure, combos, cagewrestling, et cetera?

What does Nakamura's ideal night look like?

IMO Nakamura is the better grappler. I know Tony Martin is a BJJ black belt, but his ground game doesn't look great to me.

Nakamura's ideal night is he owns his own on his feet, but keeps the fight mostly on the ground where he will be one step ahead of Martin mentally and gets either a submission or a close decision win.

Simon will def outstrike Merab if it's a standing battle but im quite confident that Merab will make this a wrestling battle. He did well in the wrestling in his last fight even edging Saenz so im incline to say he will edge Simon in the wrestling here too. The issue is whether Simon can get up or break the clinch and make it a striking battle. Its down to who can execute their game plan better and on a short notice for Simon, i lean Merab Dec.

I think Dvalishvili was pretty tired at the end of his fight vs Saenz. Apparently he had a virus in that fight so that probably affected his cardio but his style of constantly going for takedowns must be very taxing on the stamina.

Yeah in what I've watched that's the only time he's slowed at all. And he was still pushing forward.

Simon will def outstrike Merab if it's a standing battle but im quite confident that Merab will make this a wrestling battle. He did well in the wrestling in his last fight even edging Saenz so im incline to say he will edge Simon in the wrestling here too. The issue is whether Simon can get up or break the clinch and make it a striking battle. Its down to who can execute their game plan better and on a short notice for Simon, i lean Merab Dec.

Re short notice simon fought three weeks ago and found out the night of that win that he would be facing merab tonight

Thank you Sham, I didnt know that. That said, fighting a guy with the style of Merab may require more time to prepare but may be not too bad of a short notice for Simon here.

Martins striking looked improved in the Case fight, can't remember the OAM fight though. He does tend to slow down in the 2nd half of fights but is quite strong prior to that. He's moving up to 170 for this too, so that could potentially help his cardio since he won't be going through a big cut, but it'll probably negate the strength advantage he had at 155.

I don't think Martin will be hurting Nakamura on the feet. He could potentially win a striking match where he outpoints him but I don't think Nakamura will be at risk of getting KOed. Likewise, I don't think Martin will submit him, he has some decent chokes and a good kimura but not having a strength advantage as big as at 155 should lessen the threat of that, plus Nakamura is a solid grappler in his own right.

If anyone finishes I think it's more likely to be Nakamura. If you bet on him you know he's going to fight for your money; the guy doesn't give up. I could see him breaking Martin in the 2nd half of the fight potentially and submitting him. Striking wise I don't think there's a significant advantage either way. Cardio wise I'd give the nod to Nakamura, wresting probably to Martin, BJJ probably even.

i like Tony Martin but I'm tempted to bet Nakamura due to the odds, it's a closer fight than indicated and I'm not sure how moving up in weightclass will affect Martin, there's pros and cons to it. I think Nakamura decision at 6.5 is the play here.

I'm assuming good cardio? Dvavishvili looks like he can go full out for 15 minutes easily. I can see a fight where it's 1-1 going into the third rd and cardio determines it. Dvashvili is gonna keep pushing forward for sure.

Maybe live bet is the better way to go here...

merab looked seriously gassed in r3 of his last fight and he has an energy draining style. i wouldn't be surprised if simon has the cardio edge despite short notice.

merab looked seriously gassed in r3 of his last fight and he has an energy draining style. i wouldn't be surprised if simon has the cardio edge despite short notice.

He looked tired, but was still actively pursuing TD's. The thing about two guys being really tired in rd 3 when one is a wrestler is that IF he can get the one TD, that's often times a wrap on the round because it takes so much more energy to defend or try to get up when you are on your back. It also depends on the ref and how much activity the guy on top can muster too, to be fair.

Man, IDK on this fight. I generally tend to lean toward the better wrestlers that aggressively pursue TD's in fights that I think will see the cards and be close. But with this one...I'm still deciding what to do. Gonna watch a bit more on Simon and then decide if I'll be pre fight or not.

Yooooooo fools, lookin' for someone to parlay with Frankie, don't wanna lay the juice on him straight. Who y'all reckon? Thiago Santos has been on a tear but I think Branch gonn' test that TDD and if he gets taken down he ain't getting back up the same.

And who like me on Barboza? Don't put too much stake into that Khabib fight man, Kevin Lee is definitely gonn' slow down after the first round and a few S-400 missile kicks from Edson. I think Barboza carves him up after R1.5​

Merab had some virus before his debut, his coach Ray Longo said he was less than 50% and was suprised he even took the fight. His cardio should be looking better this fight, like his decision prop at +260

Yooooooo fools, lookin' for someone to parlay with Frankie, don't wanna lay the juice on him straight. Who y'all reckon? Thiago Santos has been on a tear but I think Branch gonn' test that TDD and if he gets taken down he ain't getting back up the same.

And who like me on Barboza? Don't put too much stake into that Khabib fight man, Kevin Lee is definitely gonn' slow down after the first round and a few S-400 missile kicks from Edson. I think Barboza carves him up after R1.5​
Ryan Laflare

Man I'm a moron, I watched Simon's last LFA fight live. I'd forgotten even though was just a few weeks ago. Nice first round KO.

I just watched Merab/Saenz again, I think Merab won that fight. Watched Simon/Camu too.

I'm gonna be on Merab and Merab dec. He didn't honestly slow THAT much in rd 3 vs Saenz, even if he supposedly had a virus. He still hit TD's and was the aggressor. The guy is a hugger for sure but he is always pushing forward and pursuing TD's. Saenz got the better of the striking, but he really didn't do much there either. I don't know how he got the nod in that fight honestly.

I don't think Simon has had to deal with a wrestler like Merab who will constantly apply pressure, even when he tires.

It's really doubtful that Merab finishes though, so even though it's juiced I couldn't fault someone playing Simon NSC -250 or whatever. I'm gonna play Merab ML and dec small, and hopefully get a good live line.

Man I'm a moron, I watched Simon's last LFA fight live. I'd forgotten even though was just a few weeks ago. Nice first round KO.

I just watched Merab/Saenz again, I think Merab won that fight. Watched Simon/Camu too.

I'm gonna be on Merab and Merab dec. He didn't honestly slow THAT much in rd 3 vs Saenz, even if he supposedly had a virus. He still hit TD's and was the aggressor. The guy is a hugger for sure but he is always pushing forward and pursuing TD's. Saenz got the better of the striking, but he really didn't do much there either. I don't know how he got the nod in that fight honestly.

I don't think Simon has had to deal with a wrestler like Merab who will constantly apply pressure, even when he tires.

It's really doubtful that Merab finishes though, so even though it's juiced I couldn't fault someone playing Simon NSC -250 or whatever. I'm gonna play Merab ML and dec small, and hopefully get a good live line.

Do you like fight goes the distance? I can get it at around -164.

Back