US high school sports by participation: 2021-22 school year.

codfather

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
HnmW9Ti.png

https://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource-content/high-school-participation-survey-archive/

Last edited:
I'm amazed more boy's schools have golf teams than soccer teams.

Seems a bit off.

That fact is completely useless for the statement you’re responding to.
I think he's saying that golf is more popular in the US than soccer. And he would be correct. Though it still seems odd that there are that many schools without soccer teams.

I think he's saying that golf is more popular in the US than soccer. And he would be correct. Though it still seems odd that there are that many schools without soccer teams.

That fact has no bearing on whether golf is more popular than soccer in the US.

Last edited:
Actually, it does.

Actually, no it doesn’t.

The percentage of golf courses in the US says nothing in terms of a comparison to other sports.

Since you seem confident though, go ahead and give an argument that explains how you would use that fact to reach a conclusion about golf vs soccer at the high school level.

Actually, it does.
You're missing the point.

The US being home to 42% of the world's courses doesn't mean there are more golf courses in the US than there are fields which can be used as soccer pitches, and it offers no insight into the total number of golf courses relative to high schools, or the proximity of the nearest course willing to host high school players (the vast majority of high schools don't have a nearby public course, much less a golf course of their own).

It's astounding that golf has a higher participation rate.

The US being home to 42% of the world's courses doesn't mean there are more golf courses in the US than there are fields which can be used as soccer pitches, and it offers no insight into the total number of golf courses relative to high schools, or the proximity of the nearest course willing to host high school players (the vast majority of high schools don't have a nearby public course, much less a golf course of their own).

There are still 287,880 more boys playing high school soccer than golf.

Plus, you'd be surprised at how many public/affordable golf courses there are near you that you were never aware of.

Golf courses within 20 miles of...
  1. Montreal - 100
  2. Philadelphia - 100
  3. Toronto - 100
  4. New York City - 100
  5. Chicago - 99
  6. Boston - 91
  7. Los Angeles - 84
  8. Detroit - 76
  9. DC - 72
  10. Vancouver - 68
  11. Atlanta - 58
  12. Las Vegas - 58
  13. Houston - 57
  14. Seattle - 54
  15. Miami - 45
  16. San Francisco - 42
  17. New Orleans - 16

Soccer is signficantly more popular among young people than golf, but only 20.8% of Americans are aged 19-34.

Last edited:
There are still 287,880 more boys playing high school soccer than golf.

Plus, you'd be surprised at how many public/affordable golf courses there are near you that you were never aware of.

Golf courses within 20 miles of...
  1. Montreal - 100
  2. Philadelphia - 100
  3. Toronto - 100
  4. New York City - 100
  5. Chicago - 99
  6. Boston - 91
  7. Los Angeles - 84
  8. Detroit - 76
  9. DC - 72
  10. Vancouver - 68
  11. Atlanta - 58
  12. Las Vegas - 58
  13. Houston - 57
  14. Seattle - 54
  15. Miami - 45
  16. San Francisco - 42
  17. New Orleans - 16
No, I wouldn't. I actually live in the US, and travel here. I have a much better understanding of the sparse access to public courses across rural America than a Google-bot like you.

No one even suggested that, it seems you're making shit up in your head to win an imaginary argument. All it says is that golf is popular in the US. It's more popular than soccer, and as it becomes more available to kids as a school/youth sport, more kids are choosing golf over soccer than in years past. And you're not even reading the numbers correctly, there are FAR more kids playing soccer than golf. Again, you're making shit up to win an imaginary argument. Looks at those numbers again, they aren't saying what you think they are.

No one even suggested that, it seems you're making shit up in your head to win an imaginary argument. All it says is that golf is popular in the US. It's more popular than soccer, and as it becomes more available to kids as a school/youth sport, more kids are choosing golf over soccer than in years past. And you're not even reading the numbers correctly, there are FAR more kids playing soccer than golf. Again, you're making shit up to win an imaginary argument. Looks at those numbers again, they aren't saying what you think they are.
No, you're the one drawing inferred conclusion from statistics. For example, you inferred that the statistic about the US having 42% of the world's courses indicates golf is more popular than soccer in the US. Regardless of whether or not it is true, that statistic offers no insight into that comparison. All it serves to illuminate is how much more popular golf is in the USA relative to the rest of the world, and how many more total courses there are in the US than outside it. And, yet again, it offers no insight into why there are more boys programs in golf than in soccer. I iterate, there are far more high schools that have access to a field that may be used as a soccer pitch than to a golf course.

Finally, I simply wrote that it's astounding golf has a "higher participation rate". The participation rate to which I'm referring is high school athletic programming. You wrongly concluded from what this that I misinterpreted the statistic to say that golf has a greater number of total high school participants. Yet, again, you are the one who is careless, and lacking comprehension.

Back