Valve Handheld: Steam Deck

Lol, you wont be able to hold that for more than 5 minutes. The cramps alone make this a skip.

The 60hz screen is interesting. I figured they'd at least go for 90hz.

Yeah, that's a major flaw.

Since its only 720P they could bump the FPS up beyond 60.

90hz screens mean they're capable of as high as 90FPS right? Sorry for the newb question.

Also curious about the size of the battery and how long it lasts.

Lol, you wont be able to hold that for more than 5 minutes. The cramps alone make this a skip.

1.5lbs... The arthritis on my wrists are practically in pain just thinking about holding this badboy for any extended amount of time.

It's a hard pass for me as of now...

i really don't understand the specs/etc.

custom apu that seems pretty solid. ram that's amazing. ...800p 60 hz. small storage. no ssd on the base model. apparently saying people can't* just open it up and install a ssd. expecting people to use micro sd cards. a foot long. linux. 16:10

it's like a mix/match of good/bad and targeting casuals/hc. it ends up making no damn sense to me.

iirc, the aya neo was smaller with a bigger screen. i'd rather put the new apu in that (if i was going the pc handheld route... which i'm not)

I'd say that they'd be better suited to work on a consumer friendly console, but shit, you can't ignore that Nintendo Switch money. People love their portable doo dads.

Good luck.

I like the extra buttons on the back, and I love the analog stick placement. Looks big like a WiiU gamepad.

I'd say that they'd be better suited to work on a consumer friendly console, but shit, you can't ignore that Nintendo Switch money. People love their portable doo dads.

Good luck.

They already tried that with the Steam Machines.

Its funny cause modern cell phones combined with Valve's own steam link app have pretty much made this thing obsolete on arrival.

Looks interesting, especially with the dock.

I think a lot will come down to how easy it is to set up. Is the standard consumer really gonna mess around with the OS so they can get Windows and GamePass on this thing? What about apps like Youtube and Netflix?

Going too "open" might be a mistake. We'll see.

Nice, and ditto!

I've been wanting to get a tablet too, this is awesome!

@Madmick what do you think of the hardware in this for playing the latest games?

Edit, thanks for adding this in!
It'll be so-so. It's only running a 1280x800 resolution, so that will help a lot.

It is built like the AMD Cezanne laptop APUs. Its closest analogue on the open market would be the Ryzen 3 5300U for the CPU, but the Ryzen 5 5500U for the GPU. Relative to the 5300U, at peak speeds, the CPU is slightly less powerful (-8%) while the GPU is significantly more powerful (up to +45%). However, it will probably perform more weakly than those numbers suggest because it's limited to 15W, not 25W, and it's in a tightly confined space, so its ramping profile will run at more conservative frequencies. It does have the advantage of the GPU being built on RDNA architecture instead of the older Vega architecture.

It looks like it will be damn close to the original Xbox One & PS4 in terms of raw gaming power.

Ryzen 3 5300U
Thankfully this one focuses on 720p

Ryzen 5 5500U #1
The more useful of the two vids here for the 5500U because the more demanding games are tested at 720p starting with Watch Dogs: Legion @3:02:

Ryzen 5 5500U #2

I'm more interested in knowing how well it works outside. The Switch is horrible if you try to use it outside with the sun out. Can't see shit.
400nits is really bright. It would be ideal if it was IPS, and it might be, it doesn't say what type of LCD it is, but a lot more goes into how well a screen holds up in the sun than just the display type. Anti-reflectance technology is much more esoteric, and there aren't any basic specifications I know that convey this on a page. I used to refer to labs like Displaymate when this was a major issue with the early smartphones and tablets that had such awful screen legibility outdoors.

Last edited:
400nits is really bright. It would be ideal if it was IPS, and it might be, it doesn't say what type of LCD it is, but a lot more goes into how well a screen holds up in the sun than just the display type. Anti-reflectance technology is much more esoteric, and there aren't any basic specifications I know that convey this on a page. I used to refer to labs like Displaymate when this was a major issue with the early smartphones and tablets that had such awful screen legibility outdoors.

Looks like the newer Nintendo switch has 318 nits then one I used was the older model which had 291. From what I'm reading online 300 to 400 nits is a big difference.

I LOVE portable gaming, but I just don't feel excited for this.

I have used many portable PC gaming options (ex. GPDWIN, etc.) and the user experience and usability is just not there yet.

Installing windows is one thing, but have you ever tried using windows without a mouse and keyboard? Kinda annoying... but Windows is not designed to be used with a mouse and keyboard.

Then add driver and graphics/game compatibility issues and it's no longer a better option then something like the Switch.

Last edited:
Looks cool but I'm just not into handheld gaming. Never really have been. I have a Switch but literally the only time I've played it in handheld mode was when Breath of the Wild came out and I wanted to play it for a billion hours without hogging the tv.

Pretty cool of Steam to keep your order in your cart. Fucks over scalpers big time. I placed my order 1 1/2 hours after it went live.

Got my preorder in for the 512 GB.

Edit: you also need to have an account older than 6/1. Can’t create a ton of new accounts to preorder.

Last edited:
Edit: you also need to have an account older than 6/1. Can’t create a ton of new accounts to preorder.

Amazing idea by Steam. I'm going to hold off on getting this until I see what people can do with it first. I don't have a lot of portable gaming time either way so I'm not sure it's really a good idea to get one but will see.