Multiplatform VR Megathread

Quest 2 just keeps getting more popular
So many kids have them now
It's too bad too because it does have serious issues with it low FOV, constant updates sometimes at real bad times like taking it off to load another game and it will start updating and tracking errors. I switched to a HP Reverb G2 and HTC Vive 2 Pro and have not looked back.

This is an actual through the lens recording in a Meta Quest 2 pro.

Man that $1.500 price tag on the Quest pro....

I was actually thinking about getting it and expected something like $900. Guess I'm waiting for Quest 3.

Man that $1.500 price tag on the Quest pro....

I was actually thinking about getting it and expected something like $900. Guess I'm waiting for Quest 3.

A lot of issues tied to price on the Quest 2 Pro is going to be the reasoning why the pico neo 4 is also lacking these features such as face tracking and eye tracking both of these features are expensive to implement because they are buying the tracking tech from a 3rd party who owns the patents for both. Both facebook and bytedance are looking at bringing down the costs via other solutions or if the 3rd party technology drops in the price. I have a feeling similar issues are tied to the pancake optics as bytedance bosses talked about it an may explain the similarities in their design. The bigger thing is Facebook software stack is going to blow everyone out of the water the controllers are insane they are basically standalone computers with built in cameras and some form of fingler tracking. Too bad they priced it at 1500 dollars but they spent a fortune bringing it to market including new computing hardware and an upgrade in performance.

Last edited:
A lot of issues tied to price on the Quest 2 Pro is going to be the reasoning why the pico neo 4 is also lacking these features such as face tracking and eye tracking both of these features are expensive to implement because they are buying the tracking tech from a 3rd party who owns the patents for both. Both facebook and bytedance are looking at bringing down the costs via other solutions or if the 3rd party technology drops in the price. I have a feeling similar issues are tied to the pancake optics as bytedance bosses talked about it an may explain the similarities in their design. The bigger thing is Facebook software stack is going to blow everyone out of the water the controllers are insane they are basically standalone computers with built in cameras and some form of fingler tracking. Too bad they priced it at 1500 dollars but they spent a fortune bringing it to market including new computing hardware and an upgrade in performance.

I really don't know about the face tracking, seems like a feature nobody asked for.

Should've left that out and tried to bring the price down a bit more IMO.

I really don't know about the face tracking, seems like a feature nobody asked for.

Should've left that out and tried to bring the price down a bit more IMO.
True I think the reason is how it ties to Marks vision of social interaction in the metaverse. Even though we IE "Sherdoggers" are really not into it there is a huge audience of social media nuts who want to raise the facial and physical presence in the metaverse or whatever they call it one of the biggest social media apps in Japan and China allows you to take the form of something other then human and no doubt this is the audience Mark is going for in the end. He really doesn't talk much about it in the presentation because it opens up so many privacy and other issues he knows this is the people who will mostly be the early adopters as well as AR and simulator types.

This really shows how much effort Meta personal are putting into creating a game changing VR headset. They could make a fortune just on their audio headset.

Early reviews for the Quest 2 Pro are very good so far and the AR part "Through the lens" is getting the most praise being well ahead of anything today and people who have experienced both the Pico Neo 4 and the Quest 2 Pro say that the Quest 2 is just a much better overall AR experience though the refresh rate and the display resolution is lower then the Neo but the color and brightness is considerable better. They say it is more comfortable then the Hololens and its FOV in AR is better by some margin over the Magic Leap 2. Oh they say Microsoft integration and office suit stuff is going to be big running Windows 11 virtually on your desktop via AR is impressive.

In the VR is not so dead segment Bone Labs news.
"
At its annual Connect developer conference this week Meta revealed that Stress Level Zero’s Quest 2 game Bonelab (2022) made its first $1 million in revenue less than an hour after launch, making it the fastest-selling app in Quest history.

Released late last month, Bonelab capitalizes on the physics-based fun of Stress Level Zero’s popular PC VR action-adventure game, Boneworks (2019).

As a sandbox game designed from the ground-up for Quest, Bonelab was uniquely positioned to give standalone headset users their first taste of the engine behind a host of memes. You know, the brutal and cartoonish violence that fuels stuff like Deadpool swinging around with Spider-Man skillz and 360 no-scoping an innocent NPC into oblivion.

On Quest, Bonelab has already broken 8,000 reviews on the Meta Quest Store, giving it a aggregate user score of [4.58/5] stars. Bonelab also launched on PC VR headsets too, garnering a ‘Mostly Positive’ user rating from over 6,000 players on Steam"

Last edited:

I think people really underestimate the significance of this technology it is also less then half the price and likely 25 percent lighter then the Hololens 2.

Doubt it. We're probably in the Sony PS1 era of VR though ... or more like the N64 era

Doubt it. We're probably in the Sony PS1 era of VR though ... or more like the N64 era
I pretty sure your wrong I currently own 3 different headsets my HP reverb and HTC Vive Pro 2 are currently my go to headsets I am seriously thinking about buying the Meta Quest Pro 2 as the Pico Neo 4 Pro with similar features to the Quest Pro 2 are similar and price similar. Lighter weight and wider field of view in the Quest 2 pro is interesting. Even though the Reverb G2 is advertised as having a 115 deg FOV in real terms it's around 110 degrees or slightly less. The HTC Vive Pro 2 is similar in that regard.

Back