Multiplatform VR Megathread

I pretty sure your wrong I currently own 3 different headsets my HP reverb and HTC Vive Pro 2 are currently my go to headsets I am seriously thinking about buying the Meta Quest Pro 2 as the Pico Neo 4 Pro with similar features to the Quest Pro 2 are similar and price similar. Lighter weight and wider field of view in the Quest 2 pro is interesting. Even though the Reverb G2 is advertised as having a 115 deg FOV in real terms it's around 110 degrees or slightly less. The HTC Vive Pro 2 is similar in that regard.
I mean when you consider the end point of VR would be something similar to Johhny Quest's VR world, a fully immersive interactive experience, then the headset alone isn't maximizing the potential. I'd compare it to the hoverboards that exist currently and our idea of what the hoverboard should be. So no, I don't think it's going anywhere, it's just that the current reality of VR doesn't match with what we really want it to be.

@PEB I saw this today and it blew me away. If this doesn't impress I don't know what will.

That's amazing headset and shows the way forward but most of that done in some level on the Quest 2 Pro.

That's amazing headset and shows the way forward but most of that done in some level on the Quest 2 Pro.

Not at that resolution and field of view, but yea, hardware seems to be moving faster than software still. What Vario is doing mixing reality and VR to the point you can't tell what is real and what is virtual is pretty next level. At some point when the software catches up VR is going to be as commonplace in homes as consoles. I know that seems impossible but I don't see it ending any other way because VR is not limited to one platform.

Reactions: PEB

Thing is, when its a 2-dimensional flat display, its difficult to understand what that looks like in high resolution VR unless you've experienced a lot of VR. I will say this, its incredibly detailed and probably makes you feel like you are legit there. Is that run on current high end machines with a RTX3090 or something?

Ive talked about this before so i'll mention it again. Back in 2012 i worked a three day venture capital summit. VR was the only topic throughout it. Amount of bullshit i heard was laughable. These individuals throwing all this money behind it had no clue about the current state of the tech.

Facebook(Meta) will have a terrible time for the development they need must be done in-house. Amount of regulatory scrutiny theyre under doesnt permit them to simply acquire these system. Facebook only steals or buys ideas.

Ive talked about this before so i'll mention it again. Back in 2012 i worked a three day venture capital summit. VR was the only topic throughout it. Amount of bullshit i heard was laughable. These individuals throwing all this money behind it had no clue about the current state of the tech.

Facebook(Meta) will have a terrible time for the development they need must be done in-house. Amount of regulatory scrutiny theyre under doesnt permit them to simply acquire these system. Facebook only steals or buys ideas.

You been taking a crap on anything Mark does period so not surprising you would post a Linus video seeing he to has enjoyed taking pot shots at Mark Zuckerberg even at one time having posted a review of the Quest 2 and liking it then posting another review taking a crap on it. Mark taking a 10 billion dollar gamble on this way forward and I think he is thinking two to three years into the future to achieve this goal. He does worry about Wall Street but not anywhere as much a Elon Musk does because he has everything he wants a wife/kids and a lifestyle that allows he to do whatever he wants. Remember sales of Quest 2 completely blown out other VR headsets including the Sony Playstation VR by 8 million or so units.

EDIT:Here are some Linus tech tips classic videos I mean hit peices.

Linus: Mark need to kill the metaverse before Facebook goes under. "Like he really cares lol"
Linus: Mark needs to stop worrying about doing transactions in the metaverse it will never work.
Linus: Here is why the metaverse idea sucks.
Linus: Facebook tracks your use of the Quest 2. You think the competitors are not doing the same thing? lol.
I could go on and on he made it pretty obvious as he posts on Youtube.

Last edited:
Thing is, when its a 2-dimensional flat display, its difficult to understand what that looks like in high resolution VR unless you've experienced a lot of VR. I will say this, its incredibly detailed and probably makes you feel like you are legit there. Is that run on current high end machines with a RTX3090 or something?
I don't know what type of hardware no doubt running on something high end usually many of these demos are run on at least an RTX 3080 or RTX3080ti not very often I see RTX3090 being used. Most of the VR people I follow say RTX 3070ti is minimum I would recommend by my simulator is running an RTX 3070 with HP Reverb G2 with the updated higher resolution 5k optics pretty well. The thing is my simulator is running Windows 10 professional and newer titles seem to have problems with Windows 10 so far I have been lucky. I own Quest 2, HTC Vive 2 Pro not a fan of wires but has the best display and HP Reverb G2 update. HP Reverb G2 update has been the sleeper of the bunch having easily the best overall experience in terms of image quality, ease of use and supporting Steam titles as well as tight Microsoft store integration. Popping between Microsoft store and Steam is a trip.

Open AI getting into the Holodeck game maybe in the future in mixed reality be able to setup the furniture in your house without needing any at first to see how it looks using OpenAI. Or outdoor gaming where your backyard becomes full of virtual obstacles that block you during a game of laser tag.

Don't really hear any news about any upcoming games, no boom happening as expected. Still niche and will be for the future. The idea of VR looks only good on paper. I was sceptical from day 1. Big fan of Half Life but even the half baked game they released for it is not enough to make me buy it. Do you own VR? Still using or gathering dust?

Half-Life Alyx is anything but half baked. It's easily one of the best games released in the last 10 years.

Not surprising about people being disappointed with Quest Pro especially since the resolution is not much different than the Quest 2 and it being priced 3.5 times more than the Quest 2. The consumers probably didn't listen that it was only going to be useful for a specific type of work you do like if you are a developer. They should have just saved it for Pico 4 . If they want eye and face tracking but with 4k resolution , they will hold off for the Pico Enterprise priced at $900. The controllers for the Pro do sound very enticing and may make me drop $300 and pair it with the Q2

Last edited:
Not surprising about people being disappointed with Quest Pro especially since the resolution is not much different than the Quest 2 and it being priced 3.5 times more than the Quest 2. The consumers probably didn't listen that it was only going to be useful for a specific type of work you do like if you are a developer. They should have just saved it for Pico 4 . If they want eye and face tracking but with 4k resolution , they will hold off for the Pico Enterprise priced at $900. The controllers for the Pro do sound very enticing and may make me drop $300 and pair it with the Q2
They explained the reason why they decided not to increase the resolution if you believe them is due to back-lighting used to improve contrast it's substantially better then the Pico Neo contrast and color. They are using two different sources to achieve this effect but they did improve the FOV and the brightness. They felt that increasing the resolution without working on the contrast and brightness would be costly in the end. They also said the SOC is being pushed hard as it is and could be another generation before a major upgrade on the SOC. The brightness, color and contrast are according to people who have used it is best in class. I would like to try it as I own 4 VR headsets and the best image quality and brightness goes to HP Reverb G2 update the best FOV to HTC Vive Pro 2 I really have problems recommending the Oculus Quest 2 due to needing constant software updates and and can take some time. How happy am I about the Reverb G2 I own two of them and if HP ever releases a stand alone version it would be a winner. Only downside its FOV is around the same just marginally better then the Oculus Qwest 2 but the image quality is on another level.

I have a quest 2 and it's cool, but I also don't use it all that much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back