International Wagner Claims to Have Shot Down Russian Helicopter, Putin Briefed, Operation Fortress in Play

Right but we promised not to integrate former Soviet territories into NATO and then broke our promise.

Even if that was so, it's not very relevant to either this thread or the situation in Ukraine in general: Ukraine was not about to join NATO before the war started and it didn't look likely to happen in at least 20 years. In fact, NATO was considered a somewhat moribund alliance, which had maybe survived itself once the cold war was over.

Putin and Russia has changed that now, causing Finland to join and Sweden to apply - and the war has made it far more likely that Ukraine will join either the EU or some other form of Western Alliance within the next ten years.

A country with nukes in a civil war in not good news. Imagine rough factions selling nukes terrorists.

Imagine a terrorist state saying they're moving nukes to a vassal state like Belarus.

Oh wait.

That's way better than Putin getting overthrown.

Imagine a terrorist state saying they're moving nukes to a vassal state like Belarus.

Oh wait.

That's way better than Putin getting overthrown.
It is actually. I feel more safe with Belarus having nukes than Al Qaeda or ISIS.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go that far yet, but a Russian civil war is great news. This is still too early to tell what's going to happen. Possibly Prigozhin rallies a force and takes Moscow or he gets killed very soon.
It’s like WWI all over again…

A country with nukes in a civil war is not good news. Imagine rogue factions selling nukes to terrorists that want to kill you and your family.
Are you suggesting NATO get involved now? What's the plan?

Russia were fighting ISIS.

If we're thinking 'hypothetical worst scenario', then sure, but that involves selling nukes to Jason Voorhees.
Doesn’t matter. I am going to be real. There are islamic terrorists whatever if they are isis are not that want to kill people in the west. A broken Russia split into factions will have nothing but resentment for the west. The possibility of nukes being sold to terrorists increases dramatically.

Are you suggesting NATO get involved now? What's the plan?
I think we have to. We can’t have nukes distributed to people that want to kill people on the west.

When did Ukraine become a part of the West?

Seems this whole thing was pretty well foreseen 30 years ago as a likely consequence of unnecessarily cornering Russia in the aftermath of the Cold War.
It happened when Ukraine wanted closer ties to the west rather than Russia for reasons that should be readily apparent.

Predictions on how this plays out?
Putin about to receive his Sledgehammer in the mail.

Get to see if Prigo can make it to Moscow seeing as how he and his troops are not fighting their way through Ukraine to get back to Africa..

Now just time to see how much authority Prigo really has with how many choose to follow..

but it has never gone well for Russia when they have to block off the Red Square…

Reuters is reporting that video on a pro-Wagner channel on Telegram appears to show Yevgeny Prigozhin talking to top Russian generals in what the channel says is the district military headquarters in Rostov-on-Don.

The video could not be independently verified.

Prigozhin appears to say on the video that his men will blockade Rostov-on-Don and head for Moscow unless Sergei Shoigu, the Russian defence minister, and Gen Valery Gerasimov come to them.

Uh oh

Is this the beginning of the end of P U tiny?

They just don't want NATO tanks on their border or NATO missiles a stone's throw from Moscow.

Seems pretty reasonable to me.
You got a problem with your neighbors putting up a fence or putting bars on their windows?

Looked like Prigozhin had been losing the battle for power with his rivals so I'm guessing this might be some last ditch atempt to reverse that, perhaps he thought he was about to be deposed entirely and Wagner troops were going to be put under army leadership instead?

Back